Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

That game was pretty sick a few years ago; mouse+keyboard platformer/shooters aren’t something I like but that guy is immensely talented

This also reminds me I backed some NES and now SNES robot punching game 3 years ago and it is probably never coming at this point.

Has this been posted before? I’m only just now seeing the Polygon footage.

I’m trying to wrap my head around the thinking of making the gameplay a “potential future,” and the replay the occurring event. Like, it doesn’t not work, but what an odd way to do things.

2 Likes

this shit always gets me wondering: how do you become a sprite artist with that kind of skill in 2017? it’s a skillset that has no use outside of producing video games from 1994, and yet these people are as good as the best people who were paid to make this shit all day for years on end back in that time period.

2 Likes

Decades worth of great examples for inspiration, genuine enthusiasm for codified specific thing, better tools + talent/dedication feedback loop, active community of the like minded, enthusiastic audience.

There are tons of dudes who can play late 60s blues rock lead guitar really good all over the place - it will be this way forever; still have to walk the miles but there’s a map.

3 Likes

Bangin!

Has someone posted the Everything trailer yet? It’s real good

Pretty much exactly this. There’s way, way, way more resources than there were back in the 90s.

Also, it’s common because it’s a lot easier to pick up without formal artistic training. You don’t need to have well-trained hands to draw something as discrete as pixels, and that lowers the bar immensely for people who may have skill but can’t properly draw a line for the life of them.

This is an amazing analogy and I sort of wish people who made pixelly action side scrollers in 2017 were seen the same way as dudes who insist janky blues rock is the best music ever

6 Likes

I just won a free key for this from chris hecker!

4 Likes

I look forward to your Let’s Play

it’s OK so far, I shrunk down to a silicon atom after joining a friendly school of rocks

1 Like

The ascension has begun. Felix has taken his first step towards his dream of finally becoming a computer

1 Like
3 Likes

never fear, I will get banned from tig source for implying this

3 Likes

Yea, tig source is a club for retrograde aesthetics. A keen glance through the telescope of nostalgia. Not a problem if you so choose to relish in such confinements among the many there.

All talent nevertheless.

Surely there’s more they can do with the Aesthetic™
Maybe it would be less upsetting, to me, The Good Videogame Man if most of these platformers didn’t borrow mechanics from other games without even knowing why they were in there or what they can do with them.

How many games have I played, colorful pixelart and all, that had wall jumping or double jumping from the get go without level design tailored to taking advantage of including them.

3 Likes