Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

Can’t wait to put on a girl skin and skip all the cutscenes.

I hope the console versions get hail this time.

Here you go:

Another example of execs and producers being out of touch with their gamership. I knew something was fishy about the overall design of the third installment.

2 Likes

yo

1 Like

But they do have a grammar you have to learn to solve the village soundless puzzle or recognize what the boat wreck puzzle is.

[quote=“Tulpa, post:3329, topic:197”]
Each puzzle mechanic is pretty much independent from every other puzzle mechanic (except that they are combined in the village and the final area, but this is roughly comparable to how the final puzzle is set up in Riven, combining everything you’ve learned about the world in order to solve the final puzzle).[/quote]
I may possibly agree if it were just the final area, but it’s the final area plus the village plus the chest puzzles plus the underground. But even discounting that, the suns and color filters build on the basic color squares, the symmetry puzzles build on the basic hexagons, the mulligans build on everything. IIRC there’s even a point where the tetris pieces are combined with color. And then you get to the metapuzzle aspect where you have to manipulate the result of a puzzle to solve a broader one. At its simplest it’s the sun bridges or other puzzles that serve as control panels to island elements, at its trickiest it’s the bunch of monolith puzzles that depend on setting other puzzles to specific states (like setting the sun bridges, mazes or final area bridges to specific paths or the one in the starting area where you have to trigger an error state in the floor puzzle because the error color is the one you need to match the flower path).

http://shmuplations.com/bloodlines/

This is cool

1 Like

Thimbleweed Park, March 30.

Noclip’s making a documentary series on mystery in games, first episode, essentially an extension of Jim Crawford (mr Frog Fractions)'s GDC talk is up:

Upcoming episodes are gonna focus on specific games (predictably, Frog fractions, Spelunky and the Witness).

1 Like

This video analysis sums it up nicely:

The Video Game History Foundation officially launched yesterday. They’ve opened their first exhibit(?) – on the NES launch – and have a Patreon (that may have been there before but now has news posts).

1 Like

Psh, I been on this mystery tip for like 4 years. sb continues to be at the vanguard of vidconthought

4 Likes

1 Like

We’ve been at it even longer, haven’t we? Wasn’t the whole icebergvania thing coined more than 10 years ago?

@DOS My big problem with this video is he complains about puzzles making no sense that I solved blind, or getting stuck instead of just going elsewhere to be taught the mechanic, so I can’t take complaints about puzzles being unfair seriously. Some are hard, sure, but nothing’s unfair.

Aderack’s been on it for as long as I can remember with specific cites to childhood NES inscrutables

3 Likes

Aww yiss.

well that looks cool.

I’ve played for a few hours. It’s not well balanced; leveling and movesets could have been thought out better, enemies constantly swarming. Also, buggy. Boxer character is the most enjoyable. Rough, but general look and feel is good. They could chisel this into a fine game but I don’t know how reasonable that is to hope for after being in development for many years. I’ll prob. keep playing and finish it.

so i was interested in into the breach now but it’s more or less confirmed a day one buy from me now

the hook is that the there is nothing random about the game’s mechanics, even the AI is fully predictable. so it’s a game about puzzling out solutions with limited resources and that is 100% my jam

edit: also, i basically never buy anything release day. that’s probably saying a lot.

4 Likes

This sounds, like, entirely the opposite of FTL?? Pretty interesting, I’m into it. Also like the NGE-esque theme.

1 Like

It’s like they reached into my subconscious and pulled out pacific rim + advance wars

2 Likes