MUWT 2: The Quickening

There are definitely a few scenes in Searching that are already showing some pretty extreme limitations of the format!

one involves the protag installing multiple hidden cameras inside of someone elseā€™s apartment when a single audio recorder would have accomplished exactly the same purpose

Nice

2 Likes

because i heard netflix was making a dark crystal tv show, i decided to watch the fanmade ā€œdirectorā€™s cutā€ based on jim hensonā€™s vhs workprint from before the studio made it more accessible with expository voiceover, slightly less murder talk, english speaking skeksis, etc. good lord this version feels even more like it somehow leaked in from another dimension. something about 80s scifi where everything felt impossible to see on a screen. i posit that the last movie with real 80s sf attitude is 1997s warriors of virtue although tim burtonā€™s planet of the apes comes close

6 Likes

Ah fuck no! Not a film available without the dead maker making money!!

The next film in my set is The Trouble With Harry. It started off good and Twin Peaks-y and then proceeds to chase its on tail for an hour. All the characters are good.

The film is incredibly beautiful though and could be used to sell TVs.

That lead me to looking up some stuff about Hitchcock and I am gonna have a lot less fun with this set knowing he was a monster.

1 Like

The movies usually make more sense when you know heā€™s a monster tbh

7 Likes

this is something that has been on my mind for a while now:
i recently started following a vodcast where one of the hosts has experience re:cutting, and heā€™s talking about this and that fan-re-release of [title X] - and tbh, i have been out of the loop of alternative vod-portals that i donā€™t even know where to start looking for these versionsā€¦

and, more importantly, are there enough re-cuts to talk about/that are worth a thread?

I really like some of the The Man Behind The Maskā€™s fanedits.

The War of the Stars is really fun and the premise excuses any roughness.
I rewatch it more frequently then I rewatch the original.

Alien-ate is a recut of Alien Resurrection that starts by turning it into a more straightforward film but also wildly changes the ending. The new ending is a little rough, but so was the original. It is a worthwhile alternate take.

Fanedits tend to be clumsy.

1 Like

Go see Mandy

If you can see it and donā€™t, you are wrong

Fucking amazing film

You can even tell when the movie goes from film to Nouveau Shaman

1 Like

I remember being beyond hyped for Beyond the Black Rainbow and then finding it totally boring and underwhelming.

But I keep hearing praise for Mandy, and I do think the filmmaker has potential. Iā€™ll check it out and report back.

1 Like

Itā€™s just a revenge flick.

The hype train on it tho

beyond the black rainbow makes the pacing in 2001 a space odyssey feel like fury road

3 Likes

I hated BTBR despite being very hyped for the trailer

It pretty much soured me entirely on that whole retro-horror aesthetic, just completely bankrupt

1 Like

Jeeze, has there been a good one? Not off the top of my head :thinking:

does It Follows count? I thought it was pretty good, even though it was completely unfrightening. It also didnā€™t feel like purely a formal nostalgia piece

Iā€™d count it among the current wave of modern gimmickhorror (which I am 100% here for) over retro horror but fair enough

1 Like

House of the Devil is pretty good retrohorror, you can generally count on Ti West.

The Void sucked so bad, it was like watching Clive Barkerā€™s diarrhea

2 Likes

Yeah, I liked House of the Devil a lot. Does The Guest count?

I Love The Guest. Everyone Watch The Guest.

2 Likes