MUWT 2: The Quickening

Armond White is a very intelligent literally insane person. He can sort of accidentally be very good at putting a very correct point very well, sometimes.

i sort of respected him for awhile for being a non-idiot conservative while still at the same time being an amazing troll, but, uh, i guess the troll strength is too strong in him

Well fuck that guy.

He’s the sort of person who unironically uses the “SJW” dogwhistle, you knew the deal.

1 Like

The Counselor IS great. thank you for noticing!

1 Like

What’s good about it

It’s Cormac McCarthy doing his version of a Hollywood action movie, deconstructing the Taken-esque white boy hero archetype and giving the general audience of Brad Pitt movies everything they never knew they didn’t want. It’s horrifying and perfect

I like this assessment: http://thequietus.com/articles/17096-the-counselor-reassessed

1 Like

It’s the best thing Ridley Scott has done in a really long time.

1 Like

So I’m watching Magnolia for a fun Friday night in

I have not seen it in a decade

Tom Cruise is exactly a MAGA MRA guy I am cracking up but also deeply sad that twenty years have made things worse

4 Likes

you’re right, but this is super unfair

Just found out that Annihilation came out today. I can’t wait to see this goddamn movie! I loved the book. This might be the impetus I needed to go and read the other two in the trilogy.

2 Likes

oh yeah

hmu when you go, i gotta check that out

1 Like

i started reading it last night, hope i finish it while the movie is still in theaters…

1 Like

@bib Will do!

@u_u I found it to be a pretty breezy read. If you get really sucked in then you can probably knock it out in a day or two.

1 Like

I saw Annihilation!

aka Alex Garland’s What If Stalker Had A Final Boss?

5 Likes

Was it good??

I think the book is only ok! The movie is overwritten in that Garland the writer cannot get out of the way of Garland the director! Some of the dialogue is downright bad! Some entire exchanges don’t need to be there/don’t make any sense happening when and how they do!

It gets better once they enter Not The Zone but there are still offending bits!

Portman’s character’s whole backstory/motivation seems shoehorned and is pretty poorly handled!

Portman has aged into a very haunted skeleton. She is a striking part of many a tableau and conveys DEEP. EMOTION. very well but doesn’t always sell the dialogue. Especially when the dialogue is bad, or has no motivation to happen where it is happening.

I thought Garland was going for something subtle with the tattoo transfer but then he hits you over the head with the final shot, so never mind?

It is OK for a movie that consists entirely of other movies and ends with burn the weakspot.

4 Likes

oh yes and there is an alzabo

I don’t remember there being in alzabo in the books? maybe Garland is a Gene Wolfe fan?

why doesn’t garland have a tweeter so I can twit “nice alzabo” @ him?

1 Like

First I let Garland know I caught him at his Book of the New Sun fanfic, then he hires me to ruthlessly cut his scripts, then $$$$$

1 Like