MUWT 2: The Quickening

She was incredible. The climactic scene, in the country house with the tea, took my breath away.

6 Likes

The fight they have when she makes him dinner. Amazing fight

1 Like

I saw scott pilgrim for the first time and wowā€¦people must have hated me in high school because they probably thought i based my whole life on that movie. me and that guyā€™s venn diagrams would have just been a circle. i really was just into coke zero (iā€™m diabetic! what am i supposed to drink!) and rickenbacker 4003ā€™s all on my own volition back thenā€¦you gotta believe me man. also, at least 30 different people told me back then i looked and acted like michael cera, and i canā€™t help that shit if itā€™s really true. if anyone from my high school posts here, pleaseā€“listen to me. spread the word.

positive thing i will say about the movie is that it made me miss calling peopleā€™s cell phones from a landline phone.

2 Likes

I want someone who knows way more than me to write about Jewish identity in Call Me By Your Name. Armie Hammer is such a Swede Levov type.

1 Like

I am watching Universal Studiosā€™ Dark Universe Franchise Feature The Mummy starring Tom Cruise and Sofia Boutella. Itā€™s really dumb someone should have told Universal being ā€œmummified aliveā€ is technically impossible since you have to be dead first to be mummified and if you were alive during the process you would probably die once they started removing your organs. Definitely would be dead by the time they embalmed you and way before they actually started wrapping you up.

That said, I did not know that partially decayed mummies could be this sexy. You wouldnā€™t think it could be done but they done went and did it. I canā€™t decide if Iā€™m more grossed out or aroused.

There are some decent action sequences here and there though and besides Sofia Boutellaā€™s unusually attractive corpse-person Tom Cruiseā€™s ability to take a crap character in a dumb huge budget movie and just run all the way down the field and right into the end zone with it is always entertaining. Truly the mark of a great actor is how well they can carry a bad movie.

1 Like

So is Black Panther actually really good?

My little brother and his wife liked it but by their own admission they are proper squares

It has some really bizarre and sketchy politics but is as good as any of these things tend to be, and actually has a compelling villain for a change too. Iā€™d much rather watch a movie about him building his way towards the end game he pulls off in this story than following a royal who regains his kingdom with the assistance of the CIA.

1 Like

Still havenā€™t seen ā€œBlack Pantherā€ but Iā€™m already daydreaming about the possibility that its success will provoke Marvel to greenlight a Namor movie that depicts him in all of his eco-terroristic, anti-american glory

If I hate Marvel movies and never go to them, would I be guaranteed to hate Black Panther as well, or is it worth a shot? I thought Fruitvale Station was fantastic, so I like the director. But Iā€™m worried that the huge uproar of support for this movie will turn out to be similar to the response to Wonder Woman ā€“ the same old boring Marvel template is now considered exciting and laudable because they made this one about a marginalized identity.

I mean, Iā€™m glad that there can be a major movie with a black hero that grapples with issues about being black in America, but I still donā€™t like superhero movies. Does this transcend the format? Does it have anything interesting or meaningful to say?

just FYI for anyone who has been awaiting it as eagerly as I have ā€“ the death of stalin was released on iTunes in the UK today which means itā€™s up on piratebay in advance of its north american theatrical release

This sure was costumed hero movie yeeeesh

I need to trust my gut more

Or err Armond??

Black Panther really didnā€™t push the ā€œfuck it, Iā€™m bored and/or showing offā€ element of West African ironwork design far enough with all those bladed weapons imo.

I could have watched a whole tale about the Q from James Bond princess

1 Like

One one hand, Brawl in Cell Block 99 is a pure distillation of the nasty Boondocks Saints/Taken trope of ā€œrationally psychoticā€ antihero kills everyone to save his family. Catnip for teenagers and MAGA dads. Itā€™s hard to take the serious parts seriously when itā€™s so frickinā€™ dumb. Itā€™s a politically and morally ugly film.

On the other hand, I canā€™t deny that as pure visceral cinema itā€™s pretty well done. I appreciate the slow burn and how the prison exploitation flick promised in the title doesnā€™t start until 60 minutes in. The plot isnā€™t stupidly convoluted like most of these films, itā€™s just one manā€™s voluntary descent into hell.

Armond got 'em, damn.

Honestly Thor Ragnarok was both more beautiful and a better example of minority representation.

Hey I finally saw The Shape of Water it was pretty cool.

Thanks for reading please like and subscribe

4 Likes

movie was good

And Iā€™ve always had relative admiration for Khrushchev and Zhukov of all the high profile Soviets so I enjoyed Iannucci being with me on that

I greatly desire to see this film

At this point I probably watch In the Loop 4 times a year

Same

Itā€™s not nearly as lovable, fair warning, but it is very good

because of this i had been reading through some of his earlier reviews and was just about to say i was coming back around on thinking he is kind of brilliant, and then he has to go and get on the ā€œparkland high students are crisis actorsā€ bandwagon and i just canā€™t