2 Likes

but letā€™s not fight

let us all come together over the one thing we can all agree on

I am of course referring to the way Chris Tucker owns in DEAD PRESIDENTS

the vietnam scenes are probably the worst part of DEAD PRESIDENTS

2 Likes

Chris Tucker also owns in Fifth Element

And, thatā€™s right, in RUSH HOUR. Donā€™t @ me

Chris Tucker made House Party 3 look like House Party 2.

Ehh I got nothing. Heā€™s pretty good though, yeah. Everyone remembers him from Fifth Element and Friday and Rush Hour but no one remembers him from that movie with Charlie Sheen.

1 Like

The Zero Theorem was super bad but I still love the guy

1 Like

i watched Grave of the Fireflies the other night and cried a lot

feel like itā€™s finely tuned to emotionally destroy older siblings

2 Likes

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was bad, but I had a fantastic time watching it thanks to Tom Waitsā€™s incredible picaresque cartoon devil performance.

1 Like

I kind of liked that one actually! But I saw it at a weird point in my life and I dunno if it would hold up outside of that specific situation

But still, for like, a cursed movie, it came out OK

1 Like

that was the first movie I saw in theatres after moving here I think and it had clearly been shot in like, a building down the street

I remember this playing all the time on a cable TV station from Atlanta that was somehow viewable in Toronto. It would play all weekend long all the time.

I have a Smokey and the Bandit boxset. Who wants to come over and watch it all with me.

I typed that weeks ago and I guess I never posted it. It was going to lead to a long story about a moving guy seeing my momā€™s DVD collection (which was actually all bits of my DVD collection Iā€™d lent her) and shaking his head in obvious confusion. I know the Smokey boxset was in there. Cannonball Run. The Cat Returns. Spice World. Tender Mercies. But I canā€™t remember the rest, so thereā€™s no point in telling the story. Except I just did.

Horror may be the worst film genre that isnā€™t comedy but considering doing an SB Horror Stream Club for October. The lineup would be one Phantasm movie per week and nothing else, cuz Phantasm is a great movie and the rest areā€¦theyā€™re something.

1 Like

Do the Critters series instead

phantasm II has a chainsaw duel and III is like a stephen king novel adapted by full moon features. so worth watching

2 Likes

I have to admit that Iā€™m a sucker for movies like Phantasm 2 and Evil Dead 2 that have montages of the protagonists building improbable/impractical weapons.

Quadruple barrel shotgun yā€™all

2 Likes

I want to give you all a quick update to inform you that the Wikipedia article on the Critters film series is insanely good

Want to start my dissertation over and do a deep text-critical reading of the history of this wikipedia article

From later in the article: An artifact, a palimpsest.

2 Likes

So I have to show both series huh

Last week, one of my co-workers told me that she had heard something on the radio about Mother! and that while she had no interest in seeing it, she thought it sounded like something that would appeal to me. I watched it over the weekend, and she was right.

A lot of movies I either end up disliking more as time passes and I have a chance to think about them, or I donā€™t think about them at all (which I guess is just as bad). But the more I think about this one, the more Iā€™m impressed with it.

I can understand why itā€™s so divisive, and why people would (unfavorably) consider it preachy, pretentious, unsubtle, boring, or unpleasant. I donā€™t think I could convince anyone that itā€™s not those things. But whatever it is, Iā€™m glad it exists.

That would be rad. I fucking love Phantasm.

This movie is so good, itā€™s like a weird fever dream with a rad soundtrack. And thereā€™s like, a 2 minute scene where one of the main characters and their friend, who is an ice cream man, just start jamming out on the porch for absolutely no fucking reason. Itā€™s so great.

2 Likes

And the silver death ball scene is so effective because itā€™s so unanchored in what you understand the movieā€™s rules to be; a completely exhilarating shock of gore. So great!

I love how the ice cream friend fits all the rules for ā€˜loser offed partway throughā€™ and even has a great car crash, then twenty minutes later ā€“ naw, heā€™s still truckinā€™.

3 Likes

Yeah, and Reggie gets all Big Pimpinā€™ in II, if I recall correctly. I need to re-watch these. Iā€™m totally down if somebody wants to host a Rabbit session or something for these movies some time (or just for horror in general).

Iā€™m having a really hard time remembering if Iā€™ve seen III, so I assume if I have, it didnā€™t leave a good or any impression on me.

1 Like