MUWT 2: The Quickening

An African Western how did this take so long (he says, knowing fuck all about African cinema which may have made a thousand Westerns for all he knows)

fun fact there’s a western made in east germany (. . . an eastern?) in which the heroes are natives who proceed to kill the fuck out of the white settlers. it owns.

the natives are mostly played by europeans though, so that makes it better or worse depending what you’re looking for.

anyway ‘five fingers for marseilles’ looks really good

oh, i watched rosselini’s ‘germany, year zero’ a few hours ago.

it’s one of the most violent films i’ve ever seen; not so much in physical terms (some people get slapped, etc) but for all the rest.

unspeakably chilling

1 Like
1 Like

Extreme dadcore hype

Honestly kinda surprised that when I searched the forum, no one seems to have watched Kaili Blues

This trailer is kind of misleading but this movie is very much worth watching. A lot of people compared it to Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s movies and while I kind of see the comparison, this one is much more specifically my jam.

2 Likes

So is it common to spend the first half of King of Comedy sick to your stomach thinking maybe you’re just like Rupert Pupkin and never realized it until now? I felt great relief once the kidnapping plot kicked in cuz I could just relax and laugh cuz I knew how it all turned out…and because I know I’d never do such a thing. Too much work!

It’s such a good looking motion picture. All this hideous/gorgeous late disco-era furniture, all mirrors and lucite. I love it so much.

(Should I be converting and resizing all these images before posting. Am I ruining the forum.)

There’s a song on the soundtrack titled “Rupert’s Theme” by Bob James that I want badly but I cannot find it online. It does not seem to be on the soundtrack album. You could probably do an FM synth remix of it and slide it into Phantasy Star II and it would fit in real well. I need a rip bad.

Top movie, watch it tonight.

4 Likes

The King of Comedy is amazing, one of the best of Scorsese’s New York City period. I know exactly what you mean about wondering whether you’re actually Rupert Pupkin. Both this and its sister film Taxi Driver inspired a similar feeling in me. It’s very rare to get this deep into the mind of a character with such misanthropic social awkwardness. Even if you’re nothing like Rupert or Travis, the characters are so well drawn that it’s easy to see parts of yourself in them, or wonder if you ever experience the kind of self-delusion that defines them. It’s pretty disturbing!

3 Likes

because I pay no attention to movie news, I didn’t know about the Hellboy reboot until noticing a weird, brief back-and-forth on Wikipedia’s Current Events page. It never really occurred to me that the character of Daimio would appear in a Hellboy film, mainly because his role in the comics is defined, in part, by his never actually meeting Hellboy and needing to pull the remaining BPRD members into a functioning team without the linchpin/reason most of them are there.

I mean, it just feels weird for a white-washing conversation to pop up around this particular character, but I guess they absolutely did cast a thoroughly white dude to be somebody with significant Japanese ancestry. And then he left the role because of the debate. Anyway, searching on Hellboy here led me to see this:

this is a super weird post and I’m still not sure if it was a goofy bit or some backed-into-a-corner lashing-out or what. Like I don’t even know where to begin with assessing any attempt it made to reflect reality

Within the first fifteen minutes of B A Y W A T C H a man in a donkey kong shirt chokes and is given the Heimlich maneuver by one of the lifeguard ladies and there’s a closeup on her butt as she levers into him and then a closeup on the bonner he gets as she saves his life and then he panics and jumps forward onto a lounge chair and gets his swollen junk stuck between the slats and getting it free becomes a gag and

3 Likes

I just wanted to see what the rock was cooking help

1 Like

I had to stop.

2 Likes

It is an irredeemable film. Who thought it was a good idea to make a comedy where no actor involved is a comedian?

1 Like

I loved it

uh actually, pulling up months old conversations to get the last word in is a time honored bit of mine - please don’t muscle in on my territory my dude

but it’s also a part of a larger ongoing hellboy narrative that you really gotta keep up with! the next part is: that time I met Mike Mignola and confused him for Frank Miller and he got really pissed.

1 Like

i am Still thinking about that ending for VANISHING POINT. what a flick. that Kowalski is a real bad motherfucker.

SMOKEY & THE BANDIT has gotta be the most lackadaisical, easygoing, flirtatious movie in the world. what a keeper.

3 Likes

Finally saw Hardcore Henry on cable. Runtime was a bit longer than it needed to be but overall I had a lot of fun watching it.

Now listen to nothing but the Primal Scream album, and the remix version of that album, for like a week straight… U will get so pumped up

Now it is certain.

Mike Mignola is a hero and u r a monstar

2 Likes