MUWT 2: The Quickening

I just saw “The Art Life”, the recent documentary about David Lynch. It did precisely 100% of the stylistic cliches that have come to define the “generic documentary about a subject people care about” formula in 2017. At one point the camera literally hovers over Lynch’s shoulder as he thumbs through old photographs and reminisces about his childhood. Right before the credits, there’s a cheesy Aftereffects animation of one of his poems.

I understand why filmmakers use this formula - with this kind of documentary, you want the subject to be the star of the show, not the filmmaker. You don’t want to distract the viewer with anything too original or showy. I get it but I don’t agree, I’d pretty much always rather see something original in form, and it’s possible to innovate without distracting if you do so in a way that’s faithful to what makes your subject special.

All that aside, the film was a lot of fun to watch because David Lynch is always incredibly funny and charismatic on screen. You even see him cursing up a storm at one point. It startled me a lot, since part of his mystique is his unexpected wholesomeness.

2 Likes

Oooooo. Letterboxd kinda added the feature I requested:

Only works for the ‘watchlist’ though, not all playlists : (

They have a request forum, try posting it!

Hmmm. I think if you look at who I’ve followed in chronological order the first bunch are SB people: https://letterboxd.com/rjt/following/page/2/ (and some others on the first page).

Are we just showing off our Letterboxd’s now? https://letterboxd.com/thesycophant/

sam peckinpah’s grandkid follows me on letterboxd. so THAT is what the fuck I’m doing with my life, MOM.

9 Likes

letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/woundww/

SICARIO is v good, struck by the visual language of surveillance, v hito steyerl, but also how it structurally carries the sicario within itself, as the cia op does

THE THIN BLUE LINE is fucken ace, visually

THE LOBSTER blows

1 Like

I feel ambivalent about Ingrid Goes West. It’s roughly the same premise as Welcome to Me but it shows its main character in a less sympathetic light while also playing up the mental illness. It does have a gag left out of the trailers that made me laugh out loud every time: O’Shea Jackson Jr.'s character is really into Schumacher-era Batman and does Batman sex role play .

Probably worth a watch if severe mental illness isn’t a content issue for you.

http://theplaylist.net/pilgrimage-is-a-john-wick-style-rising-death-toll-action-flick-review-20170818/

just wanted to complain about the god awful headline of this review in case anyone sees it and gets the wrong idea. pilgrimage is a valhalla rising style movie with jon bernthal instead of mads mikkelsen as a mute and monks instead of vikings and not as good.

1 Like

Didn’t know where else to ask this:

Do the extra 50 minutes or so of footage in the redux version of Apocalypse Now make it worth watching over the original theatrical cut? It occurs to me I’ve never seen this movie from start to finish and I was wondering which version to watch.

None of it is essential and the new score for the French plantation scene is jarring.

2 Likes

I mean I’m glad I saw REDUX on the BIG SCREEN back when it was first released but I’d recommend the original over the revision. Hit redux up some time down the road if it turns out you’re a real hungry apocahead jonesing to see even more footage of Martin Sheen’s glassy stare.

3 Likes

There’s a scene in redux where fuel is traded for sex with a couple of the playboy bunnies which is stunning in its’ misogyny and made me furious when i first saw it. That’s the worst example but really every redux ‘addition’ diminishes the film considerably.

Some shit’s best left on the cutting room floor.

1 Like

The redux was the version I saw first, and I think that probably had a negative affect on my opinion of it at the time. Wasn’t until years later when I watched the original version that I could see why people loved it so much

The 45 minute train home is enough time for me to go from Baby driver was Olay to Baby Driver was Bad.

There is a theater that does evening showings for 1300 yen so Rudie’s impossible takes will come again.

Ghost in The Shell is still the best time i had in a theater this year.

the original the blob ends with them dropping it in the arctic all “that takes care of that, as long as the arctic stays cold” THE END? so what a boneheaded move to do a remake instead of a sequel

5 Likes

nah man

The Blob remake is good

and it ends with the surviving blob fragment being readied for a religious revival-fueled apocalypse so we’re even more fucked

2 Likes

I mean the current blob remake they’re making now on the cusp of climate change catastrophe not the 80s remake

good time is really bleak and my life hasn’t felt right since seeing it

4 Likes