MUWT 2: The Quickening

now you gotta watch Female Prisoner Scorpion, its biggest inspiration

currently on Amazon Prime

1 Like

truly the citizen kane of japanese women in prison films

2 Likes

you know that bit in Kill Bill where it zooms in on eyes and the klaxons start up?

they needed the sound to get anywhere close to the STARE POWER of Meiko Kaji

can you make a movie entirely based on one woman’s eyes?

the answer is most yes

2 Likes

Yeah I think this is the standard reading. I mean maybe “good guys” is a little strong (they do murder a couple people who arguably don’t deserve it) but they are the only sympathetic characters in the movie.

I saw Whiplash for the first time the other day.
That is one finely polished movie about ego and Jazz. I really dug it. I do like anything about the world of musicians in any shape or form, no matter how fantastical or real it is.

I have yet to see the other 2 films by this dude. Heard La La Land was good but have yet to get out to the theaters to see it.

whiplash was a lot better liked because jk simmons and not competing with moonlight

JK Simmons definitely killed it. Moonlight is another that I have not seen and want to check out as well. I enjoy movies but I don’t hunt them down with great fervor which is why it took me this long to watch Whiplash. There is also a metric ton of constant media to consume which I will never be able to catch up with.

As a drummer,

Whiplash fucking rules.

La La Land ain’t much. Don’t rush out to see it.

2 Likes

this is a good movie

4 Likes

saw moonlight last week, I know I’m late but like, fuck

how good is that movie

1 Like

Got back from the movies, wife and I went and saw John Wick 2, The Wickening.

I thought it ruled but not as much as the first one. Wife liked it bunches but would not classify it as ruling.

Hey this King Kong movie was pretty rad.

Honestly though as lugubrious as Peter Jackson is his Kong had a better giant ape on dinosaur fight.

i finally saw star trek beyond punctuation, and i gotta say even though it wasn’t a great movie it was definitely better than the second one, and also felt the most like a modern version of an og trek movie

in that the story felt suspiciously like it was originally written as a kind of boring plot for a 60 minute episode, that was then expanded with a few more random scenes of “cinematic” “character development” and a needlessly high-stakes ending

so good job i guess

5 Likes

Hark and Jean Claude’s collaborations are one of the better things to come from cocaine.

4 Likes

I saw Beat Takeshi’s Zatoichi. It was very bad and dull. It gave me a better appreciation for the real Zatoichi films.

The numerous pop culture references talking up the dance scene greatly exaggerated it.

What a boring film.

Someone point me in the direction of the hottest take on the Ben Affleck movie The Accountant

I’m sure it’s out there

I refuse to believe the Accountant is a real movie. I saw ads for it a few times on Twitch while half asleep and thought it had to be a parody. It can’t be real.

It is real

I think the best way to approach it is as a non canonical origin story for the Snyder murderverse batfleck

Jk Simmons is even in it as a federal employee vigilante accomplice

SPEAKING OF JK SIMMONS

I watched La La Land on a plane, which is the only way I would ever watch La La Land.

I think bov posted about it here, and if he didn’t…it was on discord. And everything he said was right.

Its script is fucking garbage. I’m not some fuckin film school jerkoff, I dunno anything about three act structure or what the fuck ever…I’m pretty ignorant! But I do know this movie lacked any fucking tension and was just 2 hours (!!!) of beautiful people having incredibly minor problems and then…breaking up?? While also succeeding. At making jazz fucking happen for white people or some shit.

The set design is frequently really fucking bad, often looking like something like two steps up from an IKEA catalog. Emma Stone is a poor barista! Yet she has some fantastical apartment covered with 70 year old movie memerobilia (sp), like she joined Saved by the Fucking Bell: The TCM Class. It also had that limited color palette, which maybe worked in that Dick Tracy movie (was that good?) but just grated on me here.

The songs are entirely forgettable when they sing though there was one riff that was pretty good and it’s popped into my head like twice and I felt dirty every time. I think Joey Ramone once said “any song that gets stuck in your head is a good song” and I used to agree but now…not so much. I stopped listening to music for a long time cuz it reminded me of better times and made me very sad, so now if I listen to any old tune it’ll be stuck in my head for days regardless of how good or bad it is. So I have some DUN DUN DUN DUNDUN bit from
La La Land stuck in my head and it’s fucking killing me. Send help.

I remember seeing a Ryan Gosling movie for the first time and thinking “This is the new stud everyone’s going gaga over? I’m better looking than this twerp.” I thought this cuz I may have delusions. But in this movie and the Shane Black movie he did last year…I got why people liked him. Cuz his character was a fucking idiot that I wanted to kill but I still didn’t want to kill Ryan Gosling. Like his sister is trying to hook him up with some girl and he’s like “Does she like jazz? I bet she doesn’t even like jazz!” and I wanted to kick that character in the balls, cuz that character is me, but Ryan Gosling nailed it and carried this fucking piece of shit and so did Emma Stone, who was very lovely and charming despite having nothing to fucking work with.

Anyway, movie sucked, wish I watched Moonlight on the plane instead. (Is Moonlight actually good??)

I can’t believe I wrote this many words about this terrible movie. I’m just going to hit Reply and pretend this is going to the Axe.

It’s a “real” good time and basically the closest thing to a Western seinen movie since, shit, I don’t even remember to be honest.