MUWT 2: The Quickening

It’s basically an extended episode of TAS… but it’s still the best Batman movie out there, unless you’re counting one of the more recent DCAU films like Crisis on Two Earths, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse or Justice League: Doom, none of which are purely Batman movies.

I think it’s a pretty good movie, even as an extended episode of TAS, but man, that moment when Bruce makes the connection to the Joker when looking at the newspaper photo is just a tad cringe worthy. I lucked out and got to see a 35mm print of it a couple of years ago and even if the print was well-weathered, it still looked fabulous (surprisingly not handled by TMS considering they have some of the best work on TAS).

I would totally kill for a nice-looking HD version of this. Or Cats Don’t Dance. One of the two. Preferably both.

I watched the new Terminator, it is not as bad as I was lead to believe it was but it’s still pretty bad

The middle is pretty good but the end and beginning are not

ultron was cool action, huh non-action, undervillainous

You mean cause it’s the best, and I’m the best?

Can You Dig It?

The Warriors is so intensely located in its city. For one thing, if it was in Baltimore the whole thing wouldn’t be connected literally and narratively by subway (because our subway sucks and is basically just for commuters).

young cuba actually popped his first bonner while reading Anabasis

The movie that pistol opera is a sequel to is a more likely influence: branded to kill

I did it, @WinonaGhostRyder.

I saw 13 Hours: Tears of the Puppyman

“They’re all the enemy, until they’re not.”

Enemy militia attack through an area Our Boys have nicknamed “Zombieland”. They’re framed as shadowy Others shambling through abstracted geography to attack until its time for the camera to revel in the inventive, detailed obliteration of their bodies by superior American firepower, tactical training.

I can’t deny that the loving smears of body parts can be beautiful, and recall similar work from Michael Mann. The problem, I guess, is that Bay doesn’t have Mann’s gift for stoicism, for the presentation of men doing the thing and letting that speak for itself. Instead, we have oral flag-waving and tearful facetimes home and large chunks of screentime set aside for Manly Tears when the mortification of Max Martini’s body for our sins really doesn’t need color commentary.

Max Martini is pretty good yo.

Anyway about 45 minutes of 13 HOURS is probably the pinnacle of slobs vs. sobs crayon chiaroscuro.

One of the unnamed, unspeaking Bad Guy Leaders looks kind of like Donald Glover so I like to imagine this as the secret origins of Childish Gambino.

One of the Elite Ex-Military Operators reads Joseph Campbell’s The Power of Myth in his downtime. There is a quote from it, spoken aloud. It comes up multiple times.

1 Like

You are getting me even more pumped to watch this insane trainwreck than I was before.

He’s just a broken person, is all.

1 Like

Obviously someone has never met my father.

1 Like