MUWT 2: The Quickening

CAR VS. FAMILY OF FOUR

I didn’t watch a lot of horror stuff when I was a kid because my parents didn’t, and I was also kinda a fraidy cat about things. Like my top 6 kid things I was scared of, maybe not in order:

1. The drain in the deep end of the pool because a shark could come out of it.
  2. The toilet in my house’s basement because the GMORK might come out of it when I flushed it.
  3. The Simon’s Quest NES cartridge.
  4. The only trailer I ever saw for Lost Boys on TV that just burned into my brain so I didn’t watch that movie till like 2008.
  5. This one comicbook ad for the movie Nightbreed.
  6. The shower scene from Psycho

I was not meant to watch horror as a kid. I changed this as I got older, but I also figured out part of it is that I have really sensitive hearing, so jump scare stuff kinda often actually hurts my head.

6 Likes

One of my older friends brought a Nightbreed comic to latchkey and it was like the goriest comic I had ever seen at the time. It was some kind of spinoff story about Mayans performing human sacrifice. I wonder how it stands up.

A couple years later I came across the first issue of Faust, and there’s this series of panels where a naked dude gets his peepis shot off and it flies through the air. That still might take the cake.

The dude with the Nightbreed comic now writes weird reactionary articles for VSB. Cautionary tale? I dunno.

3 Likes

Yeah, this was just like a two page spread ad for the movie in like a random issue of X Men, but something about it just like set my brain off in weird directions. I didn’t know there was a full comic. I’ve never actually watched the movie, because there is no way it can’t be a disappointment based on my childhood buildup.

1 Like

And speaking of Event Horizon, there was either a UT multiplayer map or a custom map for that really really weird FEAR co-op mod that had the bathroom flashback scene as a hidden area complete with blood-filled tub.

@u_u is mulholland dr diner scene the champion skullface? Or something different

i was scared of big boo in super mario world

feel like maybe i’ve posted this before

4 Likes

I read that Lethal Weapon 2 was three scripts slammed together with dozens of rewrites. You can tell. Why is there a full orchestra during a low speed car chase. Even in music it slams between smooth jazz and full orechstra and during that final fight dropping everything in the kitchen on the floor.

And then Jo Peschi doing a good job but just stabled to the side of this film. There are three different pretty good movies in this and I think it comes out weaker for all of it.

But it made me look up the Lethal Weapon TV Show and I don’t think it exists outside of these trailers.

Something about this trailer makes me think it’s going to turn onto a Mr Show sketch at any moment.

2 Likes

I watched a few episodes of the show while washing dishes it’s OK

There was some ridiculous behind the scenes drama about not Mel Gibson being a asshole, iirc

It’s like poetry, it rhymes

4 Likes

As for horror movies I was terrified of everything as a kid. I was convinced I couldn’t handle any of it. My go-to example is always how tv shows would show the chest buster scene from Alien, and I was like “if they can show that on TV, how much scarier and nastier is the rest of the movie???”

Years later I saw the movie and was shocked…that the chest buster scene was far and away the most intense part of the film and the rest of it was just being being scared in tunnels.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the show. But, that stuff got so bad they fired him from the show and replaced him with Stiffler.

1 Like

Peanut Butter Falcon is pretty delightful.

Its got a totally unnecessary bad guy sub-plot. But its otherwise a nice watch.

I distinctly remember Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow having something to do with the genesis of this … whatever it is… but I remember absolutely nothing about that movie, not even whatever the supposed skullface moment in it actually is

Well, that’s probably good. I hope you never see that skullface ever again, outside of a dream.

1 Like

I also realized in retrospect, that Shia Lebouf was in this character, during his recent Hot Ones interview.

1 Like

what a hoot his accent is

1 Like

5 Likes

Tell me what this is immediately

David Michod’s new movie The King. adapted-ish from shakespeare’s henry stuff

8 Likes

this really didn’t do much for me. i didn’t find it particularly funny outside of wesley snipes performance. it’s obviously intended to be a sort of ed wood-esque tale, but, i don’t know, i was never a huge ed wood fan, either.

i watched borg vs mcenroy again. i like that movie; i wish it had focused a bit more on mcenroe because i think too much time is spent on fake borg looking intense. what kind of monster am i becoming where i enjoy a tennis movie more than a dolemite movie?

1 Like