Twin Peaks

https://selectbutton.net/t/muwt-2-the-quickening/226/3450?u=the_kyphosis_gamer
ON WINKIE’S DINER & “SKULLFACE”, MOVED HERE BECAUSE I MIGHT AS WELL TALK ABOUT LYNCH STUFF FURTHER:

Every so often I’ll be walking, anywhere, and my eyes track over some bit of a hallway or alley or corner and frame things in such a way that through whatever combination of perspective, geometry, motion, or just short-term prediction, I start to anticipate what’s further down the hallway or alley or around the corner, and I think this deja-vu is tied to some previously-lynch-scorched bit of my limbic system and there’s a chance my brain gets into some feedback loop and my dread escalates from absolutely nothing and all of a sudden I’m terrified, sweating and frozen in place realizing i am in this stupid scene.

It happens once every couple of years. nbd.

It’s dumb to talk about this so gravely but it’s what gives me suspicions Lynch is actually a magician. That’s how I described how I felt to my wife a few years ago (might have said “evil magician”) (the entirety of mulholland made her skin crawl whereas I loved it of course) but I’m now realizing it’s more on the nose than I maybe thought. The skyrocketing tension over three minutes is masterful (enough to where it is living within me a decade later) and the power relationship of DIRECTOR LYNCH vs VIEWER ME has the same gloating menace as MYSTERY MAN (AT FRED’S HOUSE) vs FRED or more recently (and more explicitly involving a “magician”) RED (W/COIN TRICK) vs RICHARD HORNE

i… i resent it! like dan and fred and richard i get to feel fearful, and stupid about it too

9 Likes