Mortal Kombat XI reveal livestream starting now

I’m glad someone at Netherrealm heard my complaint about something like 40% of MKX’s fatalities being “some guy gets cut very cleanly in half” and strayed from it, at least with the ones shown so far.

And hey, the one fatality they showed where a guy is cut in half is rad as hell.

NRS also loves character jumping up and stomping on people. I don’t think I’ve seen that yet.

Watched the trailer and, like, okay but what’s the story?

Does it follow the events of MK X? Because I’m not seeing any of the new characters from that game.

I’m someone who unironically loves the Mortal Kombat lore, particularly the rebooted timeline of MK 9 & X.

I haven’t seen the trailer but I assume it’s the one they showed on stream where Raiden is interrogating Shinok and cuts off his head? I never got around to playing MKX’s story and when introducing the clip Boon said the cutscene picked up right where MK9 left off but I assume he misspoke and meant MKX. But someone said afterwards that the events of MK9 and MKX were orchestrated by the woman you see at the end of the trailer and it was all going according to plan until Raiden messed it up (I assume that’s what happens in MKX). So now she’s coming in to complete her objective herself.

This one may make things a bit clearer

MK9 and X still good and canon but with the introduction of 2 time travelling characters things might be getting changed around again. They do seem to imply that some characters may even meet their younger selves during the story. That would tie in well with their character customisation as well so you can make characters look like any variation of their age or myabe even timeline.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m getting some animators back to work on combat after NetherRealm borrowed them

1 Like

if it doesn’t have stryker then fuck it.

1 Like

There was such a backlash to the Kombat Kids from MKX that I’m worried they’ll be nixed. I’ll be genuinely bummed if they don’t show up again here.

Cassie Cage was a ton of fun to play as, anyway.

I have to imagine Rousey playing Sonya means there’s no Cassie coming, which sucks but also, I’m glad she’s not playing Cassie.

No D’vorah no buy tho

2 Likes

I was honestly hoping Cassie would phase out Sonya and Johnny in this game. But yeah, I’m glad they didn’t slip Rousey into her role. Ashly Burch has had enough roles recast for her.

Generally kinda worried that the whole time travel angle is gonna be an excuse to dismiss the new cast and bring back the old cast as a whole. I mean, it’s fine, those characters are classic and missed for a reason, but!

They oughta just remaster MK9 for those folks. It’s still pretty good*!

*From my super casual point of view, anyway.

A bit of sluething through the videos and some pics from the event have Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Cassie Cage, Kitana, Rain and Kano as playable. How things shake out will be interesting as I’d imagine there might be a few brand new characters along with the ones they want to bring back that people liked from X. Considering their character design is way better than 6th gen I’d imagine they would have a lot of tough choices to make. Especially since Baraka coming back means once more, you can even get your brain ripped out in the previous games story mode and still make the roster of the next game.

1 Like

Ferra/Torr, Cassie, and D’vorah are the only ones I really want from MKX but honestly most of the new characters were pretty cool. Honestly pretty excited to see the new characters they make for this one. And the stupid crossovers! Mortal Kombat owns, please fire RR

1 Like

my only interest in mk is cassie cage, the #3 cassie in fight games (#2 being cassandra from rage of the dragons and #1 being cassandra from soul calibur II)

5 Likes

If Ferra/Torr are back then I hope they make their arcade ending canon and have it be new gremlin/Ferra

2 Likes

Who do they go to for dumb crossover characters in this one, though?

They…kinda got most the heaviest hitters of the horror pantheon between 9 and 10.

I can’t see them make Michael Myers exciting in any way.

Do they copy Killer Instinct, have a Sadako/Kayako sorta character?

Leprechaun in MK11 let’s goooo

3 Likes

Fingers crossed for The Thing

I also think there’s a strong argument to be made for branching into action heros and putting Rambo 2 Rambo in there

4 Likes

Look, I know it was a money/publicity thing and nothing to do with talent, but I’m trying to imagine who watched Furious 7 and was like “Hey, get Tricia on the phone and tell her she’s out, we found our Sonya Blade.”

I’d be OK with Mad Max or some weirdo from that franchise being in there.

Agent 47
Geralt

1 Like

Elmer Fudd just unloadin’ both barrels right into Scorpion’s maw, ka-plow.

2 Likes