Morro-god-damn-wind

I piled things up on the Balmora Mage’s Guild table. Looks like I still have a (very dark) screenshot!

3 Likes

The traditional way to get accommodation in Morrowind is to find a nice, accessible, 1-person house with plenty of furniture and murder its current occupant. Even if you are roleplaying a “good” character I’d recommend doing this.

It’s not like any regular merchant in the entire game can even afford to pay for even a tiny daedric shuriken, so you can’t even sell them. Their purpose will be decorative items from now on.

i broke into the house of the elf dude who got murdered and stored everything on his indisposable corpse

2 Likes

You could do things like load up the Scamp (because he was accessible, unlike the Mudcrab Merchant) with items that he could buy up to his limit. Then you could wait 24 hours for him to recharge his money fully and use those previous items as a buffer to sell him an item that was beyond his normal money limit. Buying/selling from him had no additional markup so eventually you could sell him the most expensive objects in the world to him.

To my shame, I never ran into the Mudcrab Merchant in my games.

I like using the house of the one guy in Ald’ruhn who leaves it to the Temple after you complete the simple quest involving him. I mean, he leaves, and the Temple does actually do anything with it.

The mudcrab merchant is one of those things most folks wouldn’t find unless they are specifically looking for. And I imagine a lot folks who did stumble on him didn’t realize he wasn’t an ordinary mudcrab and just killed him. The trick for accessibility I hear is to use a control creature or whatever spell it is that makes things follow you around and lead him somewhere more convenient. Though that requires a bit of patience I imagine, mudcrabs not being particularly fast and all.

2 Likes

No worse than the main quest forcing you to lead some bride to her soon-to-be husband through the wilderness so that the Dunmer of that Ashlands “tribe” will back up your statement that you’re the Nerevarine. That also included crossing a body of water or two; hope you have a water walking spell that can be applied to others! Or else she might be bit to pieces by the slaughterfish. All that while being chased by cliffracers or running into guar and other lovely beasts of the wilderness.

Telvanni structures were the worst, while I’m still on the main quest. No sense of accessibility at all!

1 Like

I might just try to find some mod that adds a purchasable house or something. I really don’t want to murder anyone (who isn’t carrying something of great value).

I know there’s the house with the corpse that has infinite storage but that really creeps me out.

There’s a mudcrab merchant?!?

Just mod yourself a merchant NPC in Balmora that has like a billion money. Use of the Construction Kit is canon.

2 Likes

Telvanni structures were the worst, while I’m still on the main quest. No sense of accessibility at all!

it’s like a comic book metaphor, I love those elitist jerks

1 Like

I think it’s worth talking about how Morrowind handles fast travel, as severl somewhat-overlaid, individually incomplete systems. Some even have day/night schedules, they have varying pricing schemes, and (most importantly), they each flesh out the setting and provide color. The stilt striders alone are worth the inconvenience.

And by considering how the player and NPCs get around they can build fetch quests that are actually meaningful and make sense given realistic travel. The Pilgrim quest chain itself is so good at giving a sense of the dedication needed to see it through, particularly when you finally make it to the ash fort and talk to the few devotees maintaining the shrine at the pit of hell.

It’s a similar complexity ask of the player as a city transit system, and I think that’s reasonable in a game that stretches to dozens of hours.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I was going to comment on that as well. This is the only fast travel system that makes sense and doesn’t break immersion.

1 Like

has anyone in this thread pointed out that the Xbox version is basically the one you should play in 2016? the mods are pretty overrated imo (because the base game is so goddang good), and the controller interface makes things so much faster and better and more enjoyable. you don’t need mouselook aim for mw, either.

for a long time, i tried to make morrowind less ugly. it’s not worth it.

more importantly, you won’t be trying to run the game at 1080p or some ridiculous unintended res. it looks glorious at 640x480

the biggest thing you’ll miss is the extended draw distance/fog suppressor in MGO - but you don’t need it and it isn’t intended

3 Likes

The real loss is all the super cool quest and story mods, not cosmetic stuff. And also messing around yourself in the builder.

I literally only run with like 3 mods at all nowadays, I just don’t own an xbox any more and enjoy the game being free of annoying bugs (which is to say I love having the unintended bugs like exploitable alchemy but not ones like merchants equipping everything you sell them so that you can never buy it back)

That being said, I prefer kbm for morrowind. OpenMW does UI scaling just fine so the game is completely playable without eyestrain.

1 Like

PC is pretty much better in every conceivable way, except there’s no way to replicate the controller fluidity and as a result menu navigation feels asinine and finicky in the PC version. that alone is reason to check out the xbox version if you haven’t yet played the game. i also think the mod stuff is…

well, first, check this out: http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/xbox/general/how-to-use-game-mods-with-morrowind-goty/

second, the bugs are cruel but i don’t mind them. i just reload saves! i played hundreds of hours on xbox and never had any significant issues a simple reloaded save wouldn’t fix

e: i would definitely concur that OpenMW is the way to play if you want to go PC, 100%

2 Likes

I do think the xbox version is perfectly playable in a way it doesn’t necessarily get credit for

1 Like

I love Morrowind.
It was one of those things that came into my life at just the right moment.

It is by far my favorite sandbox game.
I loved wandering around and having adventures that were a little bit script, and were at the same time very specific to my experience.

I chose to be Argonian, because come-on; giant reptile man.

4 Likes

I never finished this.

1 Like

I got this when I was 12. was so excited

I walked into somebody’s house

I accidentally picked up their bowl

they killed me

was so sad

1 Like

I remember giving Caius Cosades’ house a cellar accessed by a trap door, with some barrels and crates in it, to store my stuff. Later I installed some crazy big house mod that gave me a huge mansion. But it wasn’t as cozy. And it wasn’t really mine. I missed my cellar.

I always wanted to play this game on the original Xbox. Like, every winter I get this urge to vanish for a couple weeks and explore Bloodmoon, the part of my Morrowind experience I am still missing. I fantasize about that hulking beast of a console, feeling the weight of the unwieldy controller, staring at fuzzy CRT snow. One day.

5 Likes