Morro-god-damn-wind

omg yeah. got so sidetracked by side quests etc that Dagoth Ur never quite got got. never went to Solstheim either ( hi @bug )

the museum in Almalexia was good tho

Morrowind isnā€™t really meant to be finished as far as i can tell

the big bad is mostly there for that sense of tea-sipping, kitten-stroking dread

i do like how sleepers and other unmentionable things start showing up as you progress through the main quest to give some sense of progression even when youā€™re fucking around in nowheresville but thatā€™s the most urgency the game ever tries for outside of, like, corprus

1 Like

does corprus actually do anything to you again? also i guess if you wanna be a vampire or werewolf you gotta do that before you get the immunity eh

yeah but itā€™s also one of the most permanent ways to completely break your stats, and itā€™s seemingly by design which is one of my favorite anecdotes about the gameā€™s whole design philosophy

2 Likes

I lucked out! I got morrowind for xbox because it came with Panzer dragoon Orta when i bought that online! I will have to bust out that old thing one of these daysā€¦

2 Likes

one thing to note is that there are two versions of MW on xbox. the first one is just the base game, and then thereā€™s the GOTY edition that includes both expansions. the original has quite a few additional bugs, including the most dangerous one that continuously inflates your save file until it takes 5 or more minutes to save and load - however, you can import your base file into GOTY and it seems to mitigate the problem pretty well. you wonā€™t really notice it until youā€™re dozens of hours in, but if youā€™ve got the GOTY edition youā€™re good

1 Like

I think it is the GOTY edition, but I will have to double check when I am home.

If you remember, the xbox port being so good was a huge contributor to catapulting the fame of TES and the subsequent ā€œconsolificationā€ that many PC gamers decried in Oblivion and Skyrim.

BTW I also play(ed) on PC with a minimum of mods. Better heads + better bodies is enough de-uglification for me, and thatā€™s pretty much it. No high-res texture packs or other extraneous crap.

Yeah, Morrowind just is a foggy place.

Amazing

i am a snob and still like the morrowind overhauls a whole lot

scroll of icarian flight + unlimited draw distance is one of the most important things in vidgames

2 Likes

The only mod i really need is the one that lets you turn boots into leggings for beast races, so i can wear the Boots of Blinding Speed as an argonian.

non-foggy morrowind just isnā€™t right

itā€™s the game i think of when i think of wandering aimlessly in rainy foggy mushroom worlds which is a pretty perfect aesthetic

and then the cliff racers come

3 Likes

To be fair itā€™s kinda cool to be able to look anywhere on the horizon and see the Red Mountain there.

On the other hand, yes it kinda wrecks the atmosphere and makes the island feel tiny.

If I had to choose, Iā€™d play with fog, but fogless unlimited draw distance is something thatā€™s worth experiencing at least once.

Oh yeah also the mod that makes healthy creatures passive towards you so youā€™re not hounded by 20 of these jerks

1 Like

i like how thereā€™s Guar ans Tame Guar and like, Wild Guar? and only the latter are aggro but the first two have red eyes

is openmw the best way to play this in 2019? which mods are essential?

Personally, Iā€™d check out Morroblivion. Which is Oblivion modded so that its fully functioning Morrowind. It took forever, but it did finally get finished.

i just started a nord mage (#giantwoman) that sometimes summons a big demon club & i forgot how refreshingly unconcerned about your general comfort this game is

iā€™m also stunned that i made any progress in this when i first played it on the xbox while recovering from surgery. figuring this weird hostile place out while on a significant amount of painkillers seems impossible in hindsight

1 Like

Sorry but Iā€™m waiting for Skyrena.

Skyrim recreated in the TES:Arena engine

3 Likes