Morro-god-damn-wind

Your mother.

i have played all three of these and i think youā€™re mad

1 Like

Itā€™s a giant hideous sewer level

what, did you not get past the first area, there are like two levels of sewers in the whole game

there are multiple worlds to visit! a ghost town frozen over by ice! a fortress floating through the sky thanks to brain aliens! a goblin fortress you can sneak around in plain sight before letting lose a pissed off troll! a mage university with tests you must pass! and this awesome alien level where you have to learn and understand how their society works

2 Likes

I stopped around floor 5, because up to that point I had spent hours fighting rats and leeches in a sewer (with the occasional headless guy to make the fights even more tedious) and didnā€™t even meet a goblin until level 4. There was zero indication that the game somehow stops being bland and awful after however many hours it takes to get to the cool stuff you mention

you quit literally 10 feet before it opens up then

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ll acknowledge the later parts of the game with not necessarily being shit. Itā€™s still worse than both UUW1 and Arx Fatalis because those games are genuinely good right from the start and only get more interesting as you progress in them. UUW2 having one of the worst starts in dungeon crawl history should count against it.

The opening castle area is fantastic though! When I was kid I spent ages just messing around there, trying to find all the secrets and learn more about the people who live there.

The actual sewer part is pretty shitty though, yeah

So I love Morrowind

I walked through a hell-blasted volcanic area so I could get convince some stupid mage to join the guild. The first time I got lost and ended up in some farming village next to, uhā€¦Suran? something like that. Seems like they had some sort of slave trade. Anyway I poked around there a bit then took the Mage-transportation back to Balmora.

Second time was a charm, even though the flipping sky annoyances wasted all my magicka. (Iā€™m Atronach so I canā€™t regenerate magicka naturally). Of course I had to bribe the dude with 300 Buckaroonies to get him to join, because I really didnā€™t want to try and kill him. Thanks random assassins for providing me with the funds for this.

Now I have to walk back to Balmora which is a bit Ugh, but Iā€™m enjoying this quite a lot.

Itā€™s making me feel like Oblivion did, like this is a world that I want to live in. So even the annoying things are less of a problem because, hey, I live on Vvardenfell now so I just have to deal with it.

I need to find a place to store my vast amount of Alchemy ingredients though because this shit is getting heavy.

Oh, I briefly installed a Faster Running mod but I think Iā€™m going to stick with the slow pace in honor of TES: Arena. I feel like I should try to find in-game solutions to my (incredibly) slow walking speed. I wish that running didnā€™t use up so much flipping fatigue though.

2 Likes

oh jeez atronach. howā€™s that go again? 25% spell absorption, womb-burn andā€¦ weakness to magicka? maybe? how workable is that, even. good thing you have alchemy stuff, brew up some restore magicka potions

I sprinted and jumped everywhere to move faster and had both stats maxed by halfway through

weird how endurance is a stat that pays to level up before anything else but nothing else is, imo

does luck do anything?

Atronach is a fine choice. itā€™s perfect if youā€™re not really going to cast spells, and even if you are itā€™s eventually not too hard to carry a bunch of potions on you.

Protip: you can run even if youā€™re out of endurance, though your attacks and spells get shittier and less accurate the lower your bar is. again, invest in stamina potions.

so like, just for the spell absorption? is there anything else to it? coz smth like the steed or the tower gives you smth you can actively use to help out w stuff without any downsides rite?

haha omg fighting someone whoā€™s unarmed after you ran a long way SUCKS

Well being able to absorb spells nullifies a lot of threats which can be fun. iā€™ve fought off high level daedra way before i was supposed to by downing lots of flin and shooting them with enchanted arrows while their spells just juiced me up.

haha ok thatā€™s cool. I didnā€™t realize the absorption rate was high enough for it to be practical!

Also I have a killer pool of Magicka so I can cast the same spell a bajillion times.

The Mage Guilds stock 10x potions of restore magicka that respawn every 30 days too. So far Iā€™ve just been popping to each guild and taking the potions. Thatā€™s working great so far.

1 Like

Protip: Divine/Almsivi Intervention are fucking great and you want at least one of them pronto. Teleports you to the nearest Imperial shrine/Tribunal Temple respectively. Second component to this is Mark and Recall, the former marks your casting place and the latter teleports you to that spot. Theyā€™re all pretty cheap given how useful they are.

I might actually grab an external mouse so I can replay openmw on my notebook, itā€™s pretty miserable on a touchpad

Mark & Recall is life.

As for storing shit, I left it all in a chest in Caius Cosadesā€™ shack. Worked like a charm.

I eventually killed a dude in Balmora (thinking it was that one merchant near the Mage/Fighters Guild) and started using their house to store all my ill-gotten goods. Eventually that amounted to several different copies of daedric weapons, including a couple dai-katanas which were the longest weapons you could possess and rare as all get out. Never used, just laid out on the table because I was a dork.

I collected nearly anything of value in that game.

2 Likes