Mini Consoles

Discuss the ongoing trend of mini consoles here.

Systems with small controllers seem better suited for this then systems with larger controllers. A mini-N64 with four regular sized controllers wouldn’t be very mini.

Will we ever see a Saturn Mini or Dreamcast Mini?

GameBoy Mini with a backlit screen would be killer. Surprised that Sega hasn’t done a Saturn Mini given that it seems to be the more popular console in Japan than the Mega Drive was. FWIW I’d buy a licensed multitap for it so long as it still looked like Bomberman.

3 Likes

a n64 mini library seems like it would be difficult to pad out, but the snes classic only had 21 games so maybe it won’t be difficult, just very boring.

I have hacked both the NES and SNES Minis. It was extremely easy in both cases. In the end, you get a folder full of games you added, and each one has its own box art and everything. The games you add slot neatly in and work exactly the same way as the original ones. Right now, I look at these mini consoles as a very convenient way to play roms with a perfect replica controller and fancy UX that is far more friendly than any other emulator I’ve used.

1 Like

I would buy this. My only handheld system is the original spinach Game Boy, but the last time I turned it on the screen seemed to have permanently dimmed regardless of the setting. Kind of like that one in Nintendo Power that was burned but still worked. A slightly larger screen would be nice.

I helped someone else set up a SNES mini, and the hardest part was finding box art images that I was satisfied with for the additional games. They are generous with the free memory space.

A GBA Micro with a built-in library seems so obvious, especially given Nintendo’s distaste for phones. I hate the very idea of consoles, but I’d probably buy one.

2 Likes

The GB micro appeals because it’s still not easy to graft a controller to your phone. I would prefer it be vanilla GBA or SP-size, though.

The other mini-consoles just make me mad that I can’t play those games on the full-size console I bought from the very same company. Just flip a switch and let me buy some fucking ROMs, Nintendo.

My distaste for the PS4 is down to the DS4 feeling like a 1 oz. bag of potato chips in the hand and Sony refusing to put a PS2 emulator in the box.

A mini-Dreamcast would probably be smaller than even one of the console’s controllers.

I am not a Dreamcast controller fan. Only thing worse is the OG XBox controller.

I hope SEGA has the cash to make this happen for next year.

I dunno these packaged official consoles are really nice to use and just work.

I think filling out the N64 wouldn’t be that hard.
You have:
Them Zeldas
Harvest Moon
Mario Kart, Party(s), 64
Bomber Men
Smash Bros
Pilot Wings
F-Zero
SF Rush
Blast Corps
Ogre Battle
Snow Board Kids
The missing Rare titles would suck (mainly golden eye)

A Mini DC would be a god send! I wonder if it would be too expensive given how big the games are.

1080° Snowboarding - Manua
Bomberman™ 64
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Pokémon Snap
Sin and Punishment
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64
Yoshi’s Story

As much shit as they get these days a Nintendo 64 Classic mini with DK64 being the sole Rare rep rings real hollow, and even the Wii U Virtual Console got Ogre Battle and Harvest Moon.

2 Likes

I did not see this before there are several knockoffs that fit your bill

GB Boy Colour
Data frog retromini
One with Light in the name I am not finding immediately.

are the controllers of good quality? i got put off by reports that they were a bit dodgy.

I honestly thought it wouldn’t happen since coming up with a reasonable list is a no win scenario.

I’m sure it’s a licensing nightmare, but not having Goldeneye on here makes the whole exercise seem pointless.

4 Likes

I haven’t used a real NES or SNES controller in a while, but these replica controllers seem like they’re as good as the originals to me. The only real issue I have is that the NES Classic’s controllers have a ridiculously short cable. You have to be sitting like 2 feet away from the console. Luckily they learned from that and the SNES Classic’s controllers have a much more reasonable cable length.

2 Likes

Even Perfect Dark would be better than nothing, if the Bond license is the issue

Also, no Smash? Are they joking?

1 Like

There are no FPS games on that list.
No Turok?

ummm pokemon snap LOL!!!

it’s first person and you shoot photos LOL

2 Likes

SEGA wants to know:
For the Mega Drive Mini would you prefer it have…

…Sonic 1 or Sonic 2?

…Puyo Pop or Puyo Pop Tsu?

…Shining Force 1 or Shining Force 2?

You onky get one of each for whatever reason!