Mini Consoles

just put them all on there, dumbasses.

also is this being made by the people who make those shitty plug n plays?

It was, but Sega was unhappy with the quality and at the end of last year brought in house being overseen by the guys that originally designed the megadrive.

Which means a bunch of old Japanese men that have probably never seen an emulator. That’s the easiest conclusion I can draw for this baffling decision. That and they got to limit the selection like Nintendo and Sony did. Having 50 games would devalue our game…thing. Nevermind ever shop in Akiba stocks a few import copies of Sega Genesis Classics.

2, 2, 1. Fight me.

PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 mini full games list announced. What makes it different from most of these things is that BOTH the western and Japanese games will be included on both consoles regardless of if they’re translated or not (good luck with Snatcher everyone!). The single regional difference is that Tokimeki Memorial has been replaced by Salamander in the west.

US:

• Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:

• Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk’s Adventure)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II
4 Likes

I think I’d rather play tokimemo in japanese than snatcher in japanese

I have no nostalgia for PC Engine but I’m more likely to buy this than any other Mini because I actually don’t own any of these games on physical.

It ain’t done yet. 7 additional games are actually on this thing (all except Splatterhouse might be their JP versions only though?):

• Dragon Spirit (1988)
  • Galaga ’88 (1988)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans (1990)
  • The Legend of Valkyrie (1990)
  • Seirei Senshi Spriggan (1991)
  • Spriggan Mark 2 (1992)
  • Splatterhouse (1990)

In addition, the JP PC Engine version of the system will exclusively be getting Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru. The controllers for this version also doesn’t have turbo buttons which I actually didn’t know were exclusively a western addition?

This thing looks cool, but seems it is selling exclusively through Amazon, and last I checked the Australian store isn’t stocking it. So I guess if I want to buy one next year, it’s up to the whims of the international stores flip flopping between whether they will ship here or not

Oh.

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1203597428382822401

(Tengai Makyou 2 is one of the few region exclusive games because they didn’t want to have to remove the manjis from it.)

sweet baby

2 Likes

I’ve got the snes and md minis now and I’m happy with them so I guess I like these.

This is pie in the sky wishful thinking but it would have been cool if Nintendo had created a completely new nes style game for the nes mini, tied in thematically with the old games. Then all the other comps would maybe have had to do the same, and we’d have some new stuff in these boxes as well.

5 Likes

Probably would be a controversy magnet if they did. I’ve noticed people feel especially heatedly that e.g. Shovel Knight’s callbacks to NES games makes it feel inauthentic.

The official release of Star Fox 2 was a really cool touch. Along the same lines, I would’ve liked to see them throw in some obscure titles that may as well have never been released as far as a mainstream audience is concerned. E.g. for the NES, Nazo no Murasame-jou and Mr. Gimmick.

5 Likes

I appreciated that some games were updated or remade. The Gen/MD mini had the fan-made Darius with a boss rush mode (and its own little ending like one of the G-Darius cutscenes) and PCE had Fantasy Zone with M2 redoing the audio closer to the arcade.

3 Likes

Oh nice, I didn’t know about these updates. I haven’t put much time into Darius yet, it looks like it’s going to be absolutely nails… I’m not really feeling the shmups on the mega drive yet. It’s all about the platformers: Castlevania, Dyamite Headdy, Monster World 4, the Illusion games etc.

Yeah Darius 1 is super hard and not accessible to me. I guess I could say the same for a lot of shmups of that era.

1 Like

Just play MUSHA on the megadrive for your STG action. That game rules so much.

4 Likes

Nintendo.com has NES and SNES minis. It seems like the one to get is the PSMini and thermal paste it.

3 Likes

not totally related but has anyone fucked with the mister fpga stuff

1 Like

PC-Engine mini came and went and controllers are already over a hundred dollars

that blows, hope it gets a re-stock

1 Like