Mighty News Thread Number 9: No Silksong in Mudville

intrusive thought: Sheryl Crow belting out “if it makes you flappy”

4 Likes

LA day drinking anthem “all i wanna do” came on in the car yesterday. thought about you having a great time with your move and then “sheryl had some travis morrison flow”

3 Likes

Sheryl Crow is a really underrated artist

Judero’s out today

13 Likes

sound design in this is just fantastic

17 Likes

^ UFO 50 is out in a couple days on Steam, definitely been on my list for…a while = o

A lot of the games look to have flash FX or guns, which I’m not into, but some don’t, so looking forward to checking them out.

10 Likes

UFO 50 looks so good.

4 Likes

another pub bites the dust

8 Likes

Wow damn

To our own detriment we’ve resisted things like obnoxious in-your-face advertising, egregious clickbait headlines, or ethically questionable sponsorships, which sadly are the types of things that actually still make money in the internet of today.

just curious about what the previous business model of this game website was. Donations?

Very restrained advertising, banner images IIRC but like, super tame and unobtrusive compared to so many sites

2 Likes

I really thought UFO 50 was gonna turn into vaporware, so I’m real excited to play it tomorrow, though I wish I could pick it up on Switch right away

I’m curious to see how much I feel like I can see Ojiro Fumoto’s fingerprints on it

9 Likes

I’m similarly torn since this has Switch (or Steam deck) written all over it

2 Likes

It turns out to be faster to make 50 UFOSoft games than one Hollow Knight game

13 Likes

I really love the idea of packing up little games like this.

If I could get an itch.io pack that did one install for a curated XX games with a front end Id be in heaven.

9 Likes

my dream as a maker of small games is to actually be able to be a part of putting a collection of small little games like this together on a single-launcher multicart sort of deal, but that is too complicated for me to organize/produce and probably too logistically complicated for anyone to want to organize

5 Likes

I think it’s deceptively hard yeah. One of the advantages of Itch for developers is that there’s no rules about input/video/title banners/installation flow/anything. You can just focus on your game design instead of wasting weeks on QoL tweaks that most players won’t even give you credit for

That implies with an itch.io curated pack, players wouldn’t be able to quickly channel-surf the collection like in UFO50, they’d have to fiddle with window and gamepad settings every time

4 Likes

yeah, at one point i was going to try to give a small handful of my games a unified front end, but even using the same dev tools and a lot of the same architecture, that was a huge pain and proved basically impossible without rewriting everything

4 Likes

i figure you both know abt stuff like the glorious trainwrecks pirate karts which honestly i feel work better than you’d expect, even with the switches of resolution and controls implied… the thing i always wished was just that html5 games could be run locally, so that you could just embed ones of whatever size into their own little pages and then string those together as a little downloadable web site, maybe with embedded text and images and instructions and such.
unfortunately i guess this is technically disallowed for security concerns. but gamers don’t deserve security! they deserve fear!!!

20 Likes