Methodical / Slow Action Platformers

Very late, but yes and you absolutely should check out its followup.

Slain and Valfaris are both currently on sale on psn right now, for 2.99/14.99 respectively.

I really like this sub genre of what I’m calling “pixel art platformers” which are basically games like Huntdown, Slain, Blasphemous, etc. Gorgeous looking games drenched in detail and animation.

Blasphemous more like Blast This Game Directly into my Brainphemous

4 Likes

Does original Tomb Raider count? I can’t think of many other methodical 3d (non-puzzle-)platformers; the closest I get is Mario 64.

1 Like

YEESSSSSS. original tomb raider is so good for its v particular, slow, considered, highly granular movement and it is the first thing that comes to mind when i think of slow action platformers. This thread has mostly 2d games tho so maybe that’s a shadow criteria, but if so then i got u covered:

tomb raider on the gameboy color is a miraculous translation of its 3d counterpart. it’s slow, cautious, has fantastic character control (especially impressive given the gameboy’s limited input scheme) and i think still holds up today as a really interesting and enjoyable entry in 2d spacial navigation.
1 Like

Ah, it’s Prince of Persia. That makes perfect sense because Tomb Raider is really Prince of Persia in 3D.

2 Likes

The GBC/GBA Planet of The Apes would qualify, I suppose (same game different sprites, i think?)

1 Like
1 Like

Souldiers, Retro Forge Games - TBD

Potential :cherries:, already lookin’ juicy.

3 Likes

Recentish works by Ark House, solo-dev from Lithuania.

Glad you like TSOTC! Thank you. I agree it’s slow and plodding - you are right. I just wanted you to travel slowly and peacefully from one forest to another. Seriously, it was my top priority gameplay-wise :smiley:

A true believer.

6 Likes

lol @ 1:16 of the first one

4 Likes

Not slow but I am grandfathering it in under the CV Fangame clause, Silver Night’s Crusaders is an OpenBOR module by True Role Dreams.

1 Like

10 Likes

:crab:

1 Like

make it happen Henk

7 Likes

1 Like

4 Likes