Memorable moments in otherwise forgettable games

this song is the only thing i remember about the 360 game wet

1 Like

I’m not sure if Daikatana can be really called forgetable, though it probably would be if it wasn’t the story behind it. That said, I still need to play it past the first time zone because I hear it gets better and you can patch out sidekicks BUT ANYWAY

There is a secret area in one of the early levels where you stumble upon a cave that turns out to be a nest of the dragonfly enemies, it swarming with babies plus some adult ones. I remember being quite surprised when I found it, it suddenly gave the game more life and a sense of place, rather than being just a cache of weapons hidden on a cliffside or such.

Metroid Prime 3 was mostly forgettable to me, it felt like Retro wanted to make a non-Metroid game but were stuck with the license (I wish they would get to make their own IP) and I got sick of going between planets trying to figure out to do ANYWAY I really loved the sky palace bit, especially before any enemies were there. It was just cool jetting about on roller coasters around this empty, beautiful world, trying to figure out what happened there. Reminded me of Riven in many ways.

yeah that is pretty much the only thing I remember about metroid prime 3

my brother and i had this game when we were kids and we would do nothing but this over and over

1 Like

Any reasonable person knows that the FPS Syndicate owns bones based on gunz/sound design/lame super-nineties cyperpunk aesthetics alone but it was obviously limited by its budget and the campaign progression is pretty boilerplate. It’s mostly just running around blasting and skilltreeing.

You’re an augmented corporate supersoldier with no particular identity or will of your own. Your HUD is diagetic. In addition to gunz you have magical hacking spells w/ cooldowns that make your enemies do things that are against their interests/short term health because everyone has the same chips in their brains and no one has updated their firewalls in a grip.

Eventually you rescue a company lady who’s been kidnapped by a rival corporation and wind up separated from her in a shady part of town inhabited by the lower-class who either cannot afford or would rather not have microprocessors in their domes. Surprise! The lady lures you into a trap! She’s down with the Working Man’s Resistance! You get blasted by some EMPs and dropped off a bridge into some old factory space.

After a loading screen, you wake up unarmed, with low health and your HUD on the fritz. Some dude pops out of the goddamn floor and you tear him apart to get his gun. You don’t know how many bullets are in the gun. Your hud crosshair might not even be up? None of your magical hacking powers are working and if they were it wouldn’t matter because all the enemies that are pouring in are chipless. It’s just you in your weakened state and whatever weapons you can take off the bodies you pile up.

They get you used to a certain rhythm then put you on your back foot and make you work for things again. It disempowers you so you can experience the most empowering moment in the game. You feel like a real gross desperate futurecorp killopath. It’s great. Every time I made it through I was viscerally disappointed when my HUD rebooted.

7 Likes

im pretty certain Kane & Lynch: Dead Men is made up of these. the setpieces appeal to me conceptually.

I was thinking of mentioning that part of Syndicate, but I do like the game too much to call it forgettable. I always like to tell people that it’s the best game about having super powers and then tell them about that part.

the clerk is pretty fantastic in general honestly. one of my favorite characters in an nes game

1 Like

World in Conflict was a great game. Not amazing, though.

I always adored the cutscenes they released to advertise this thing, all setting up Over There scenes of American conflict, then panning out to show it to be a place we normally associate with being completely impervious to conflict.

And of course, my favorite trailer ever:

2 Likes

Stealing a Taxi Cab in GTA Vice City, picking up a customer, then immediately driving into the ocean on accident. (My sister did that but I was watching)

3 Likes

i doubt Beyond Good and Evil would hold up today, its not that remarkable as a game, but i genuinely have a lot of affection for the world and story concepts, and there are some really solid character bits

its too bad the sequel seems to be vaporware

2 Likes

That’s a pretty neat setpiece tbh, but I can’t stand Syndicate because its hacking is dumb to a Watch_Dogs degree.

You’re not a hackman.

You’re a blastman.

Jesuman!

2 Likes

I mean hacking dudes so they shoot themselves in the head etc…

Maybe don’t connect your brains to the internet?

Too late.

I just jacked you off in.

2 Likes

I have the faintest memory of this for some reason, though I can’t recall ever actually playing the game

No one remembers Double Dragon because DD2 exists on NES, but an interesting thing in the original is that if two players make it to the end of the game, they are forced to fight each other for the affections of the woman they’re saving.

2 Likes

You have superpowers, we already covered this

I actually quite enjoyed Advanced Warfare, much to my surprise, but by far the best mission was this one where you grapple around a compound where a party is happening, using the grapple to pick enemies off too. I would play a whole game built around this.

EDIT: Okay, it turns out this isn’t a good example video because the player just avoids everyone, unlike me who took out every guard out. The trick is to hide in a bush or on a roof then grapple an enemy to you so that the body won’t be found. That’s anything thing that was cool about this level, you weren’t led by the nose and you could find your own way/style to the objective.

Battlefield 4 solo sucked but I loved this bit where you just run around shanghai in the rain. Pretty colours! When I got to a quiet area I just walked around and soaked in the atmosphere.

Rocket Robot On Wheels, from Sucker Punch, was actually one of the better 3D platformers I played back in the day (and they had realistic physics when you threw things!) but the kinda blew their load right at the start by having the coolest level. You raced in a hotdog buggy! You could build and ride roller coasters! You played carnival games and beat a chicken at tic tac toe! I played this world so much. The other levels were okay but just didn’t feel as tightly packed with cool stuff as this one, so I played them much, much less (though one featured a paintball craft that you could use to paint the entire level, that was cool).

2 Likes

Cliff,

3 Likes