may the start menu posting begin

For some reason I have wanted to make an archive of video game start menus, kind of like that video game soda machine project. I think start menus are beautiful and very interesting. It’s the first thing you see, but do you ever really think about them? Sometimes you do, and whatever difference has made you think about it is probably worth talking about. Yeah, it’s a dream project of mine to make something like that but I’m not that serious about it yet. So I was thinking maybe we could all just post start menus in this thread and that could maybe one day become a collective archive.

9 Likes
13 Likes
1 Like

wow the atmosphere is dense in this one. and those squeaky, electronic but maybe biological noises? perfect and so alien.

2 Likes

many good World of Warcraft menus, so much real-estate granted to a beautiful image with very little actual menu buttons to pay attention to. now adays I think you just zoom past these things anyway with autologin through the blizzard client.

I think @SUPERSONNICK used to have this specific part cut out on their youtube channel but I can’t find it now so just go to 4:12 of this video for the same content:

The opposite of Attract Mode, a “Scare Away Mode”

12 Likes

:cold_sweat: reminds me of this

1 Like

Deathsmiles itself has really good music but for some reason the 360-exclusive title menu track is better than all of them.

9 Likes
4 Likes

This thread is a great idea! I was thinking about making a thread about “alternate” title screens because I remembered unlocking those in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai, but I couldn’t find the different screens and I couldn’t think of other examples. I’ll try to scrounge up some of my favorite examples in the next couple of days.

Oh I really love those too. It reminds me of when the UI theming changes in a game when you switch characters or when something happens to your player character like they turn into a robot or something. Always really hype.

4 Likes

I really can’t think of any niche special one!

FF6 good, in case you forgot

5 Likes

ive always loved the Nocturne title screen with the demi-fiend and his posse standing in the dark, eyes and tattoos aglow. and the attract mode leading into it is very cool as well

title @ 1:16

6 Likes
9 Likes

oohhhhh shiiiiiit this one is soo good

pretty ambivalent about the game itself but the persona 3 fes title screen is unparalleled

and of course

10 Likes

I’m a real sucker for the Ace Combat title screens, they tease everything you’re there for

3 Likes

FWIW in the random bundle game topic I tried to put an image of the title screen on most of the games I spent any time writing about, so there’s a whole lot hidden in there. I’ll have to go see if I have any other of them saved in my giant screencap folder.

4 Likes

I actually prefer vanilla P3’s title music.

1 Like
3 Likes