may the start menu posting begin

8 Likes

We shall call this post… random title screens.

…That’ll do for now.

12 Likes

Part 2 because I have a few free minutes:

That’s all I got at this point, kinda feel bad now about all the ones I deleted before now to keep my folder somewhat manageable.

12 Likes

Didn’t @meauxdal have a youtube channel devoted to this for a bit?

1 Like

Edit: oops this is meauxdal’s playlist but I don’t know how to make the embed not make it look like it’s just a video

5 Likes

I like the Wetrix startup on the N64. Watch up to 00:25.

6 Likes

didn’t know “someone is always moving on the surface” was the title screen track! love that song so much

4 Likes

Always thought the static and sparseness of Gold/Source menus was appealing, but the Half-Life 2 backgrounds beautifully interrupt that static atmosphere with a little commotion, things happening outside the frame, helicopters flying away to a crisis somewhere else, leaving view and letting that silent static atmosphere crawl its way back in. There’s a sense of space implied, distance, activity and it’s interesting for a game to decenter the player away from the action and let them inhabit the outskirts or aftermath. The human action is not the focus of these menu spaces. I don’t want to compare it to Tarkovsky, but I will gladly compare it to Tarkovsky if pressed.

11 Likes
10 Likes

Sorry it’s not animated. I just really feel like I’m a little kid separated from his mother in a JC Penny store when I hear this.

7 Likes

i can’t find a video of just the Steambot Chronicles attract mode and it kills me so much! if anyone can find video of it plz post it here. i get it in my head all the time.

3 Likes

Steambot Chronicles

Steambot Chronicles

Steambot Chronicles!

Steambot Chronicles

Steambot Chronicles!

5 Likes

a relaxing, non linear adventure!

be a bad guy if you want

just one groovy tale

at the ready

… there was at least one more, but i cannot remember that one… something about becoming/being a musician?

4 Likes

thanks for posting this, this would have been my contribution itt, yes!
i wiped my youtube account when they started forcing you to tie it to a google account, iirc? Must have been close to a decade ago by nowh, but i am quite surprised someone even remembered… not bad, not bad!

Ace Combats have been posted, seconded, they are awesome and if those don’t get your blood pumping, you are not made for these games.

Armored Core FA - so intense, love it.
Metroid Prime, the first one - just ace bgm and design tied together to get you into that alien feeling... what helped make it more intense was my brother's gamecube having a loud clicking noise happen and hanging itself instantly, plus throwing some error code output, in orange text on black background. We never could reproduce that, and we tried a lot of things to reproduce it, believe me...

what i like about the split/second intro is that they basically show the work that goes into producing the arguably best TV show of the 21st century, and then they let loose the drivers… and the shards of the destruction caused are flying through the start menu, that always felt like a totally theme-fitting intro to the game, even if you skipped the intro altogether.

slightly hampered by the intro video, but i grew to like the Nier Automata intro over the years, the bgm being similarly reduced to the ACFA intro probably triggered this.
3 Likes

Genuinely the best part of the game.

12 Likes

A Hat in Time has a nice punchy start screen that feels very celebratory but I can’t find any good videos of it.

12 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

this is such a DVD menu

3 Likes

Nocturne is the first game I thought of when seeing the thread. I liked both the “real” start menu with the silhouettes but also the second one, where you get the “press any button” prompt with an FMV trailer playing in the background. I don’t think I’d seen such an active title screen before so it struck me in its own way. This might be more similar to an attract mode than a real title screen though because I think it might kick you back to the silhouettes afterwards.

3 Likes