Louisiana Chainsaw Massacre (RE7)

every trope is so delightful and that does not just happen

really want to watch someone play this fresh in Branson

1 Like

As our resident PT guinea pig, Iā€™ll do it

Youā€™ll have to catch me before/after doing Birdman ~Wings of Fate~ Talkie Edition though

4 Likes

Did you get the leg scene?

why did we think this was a good idea

no horror will top this

2 Likes

nope Iā€™m just a little past getting the flamethrower

Iā€™m doing my usual thing with fairly intense games where I feel like Iā€™m going hard and am actually playing all of half an hour a night

I want to emphasize though that if youā€™d told me a day ago that there even was a flamethrower Iā€™d have gone ā€œno way! really! cool!ā€ because something about the presentation is making every single ā€œoh yeah of course we packed thatā€ feel fresh

Itā€™s really early in the game, but only in specific circumstances. I canā€™t imagine what itā€™s like in VR.

like I said a little ways up, I have like polar opposite reactions to body horror and gore (which mostly just make me grin) and quiet creepy tension (which immediately puts me in a state of pure terror) so itā€™d probably have been lost on me

still that seems like a very good mixture to keep me enjoying this without being overwhelmed

I got the leg sceneā€¦

If I remember correctly, toward the beginning of the game when the dad is chasing you around, if he catches you he cuts your leg off, then sits there watching while you crawl back to it and pick it up (it goes in your inventory) and then you have to use the leg as an item to reattach it.

Did I remember that right? It was a pretty effective moment.

1 Like

Yeah, it owns. The only part I donā€™t like it is it made me think that was going to be a mechanic

1 Like

Felix play Alien Isolation.

1 Like

I have the gotten the snake key

Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m just past halfway?

so so so good

also very pleased that the first family member the game lets you believe youā€™ve killed for real (hereā€™s hoping) was the one responsible for every time I actually screamed while playing

Thanks for that

Now back to regular ā€œI have no ammo oh noā€ resident evil

1 Like

in addition to everything else thatā€™s tonally perfect in this, the protagonist is a lot of fun

the right combination of ā€œsomehow low key in an impossible nightmare scenarioā€ and ā€œproperly relieved after being terrified through intense fightsā€ and kind of funny

1 Like

goodness even the ACTION PACKED FREE BONUS EPILOGUE CHAPTER STARRING CHRIS REDFIELD is pretty neat huh

I hope they start promoting this game as like PSVR greatest hits or something now that the headsets have a bigger install base

they really played themselves/sony making the arguably the best crafted longest lasting deep thing be an immediately revolting dread marathon

2 Likes

yeah, no kidding. as much as people complained that it sort of loses its edge in the later chapters when it turns into, like, Soma by way of Ringu, I was actually finding it harder and harder to push through the tension. not sure if itā€™s somehow specific to the VR experience or if I found the old house comforting in a certain way that I missed or my nerves were just shredded by the end (after more than two weeks of limping through while interspersing almost every other PSVR game Iā€™d wanted to play) but I am pleased to report it did not get any less scary for me.

Speaking of Soma I guess itā€™s been a pretty strong console generation for horror ā€“ Iā€™ll still vouch for Until Dawn being a ton of fun and I liked Observer more than most ā€“ but this has got to be the scariest thing Iā€™ve run through in any medium in terms of its overall effect on me since I was like, 13.

how did you feel about alien isolation?

1 Like

did not play

hmmmm

You can VR shim it together on PC if youā€™d like (they demoed with VR but never officially shipped it). Both it and RE7 feel like big-budget adaptations of the Amnesia learnings, RE7 mixing in pulpy stuff while Isolation iterates on the ā€˜chase monsterā€™ design. I like Isolation a lot a lot; the set dressing is immaculate and the monster inspires hate as much as terror in a very Ripley-esque way.

It takes a long while to get into it and it goes on longer than it needs to but itā€™s just great all the time.

Itā€™s never been that appealing to me honestly

Even as far as the ā€œbeing stalked by one monsterā€ goes in RE7, I never felt too threatened by that part, Jack in the early game is a known quantity and I found him very endearing

What I am saying is that RE7ā€™s horror curve is perfect if you are much more afraid of children than fathers

1 Like