Louisiana Chainsaw Massacre (RE7)

just played madhouse for like an hour and a half and didnt make any progress.

throw all the other resi games in the garbage idk why youā€™d ever play another one.

I enter this and played it for two hours and did not like it. Maybe I just donā€™t like RE games aside from 4 though.

I was pleasantly, or rather terrifically surprised by the game RE7 turned out to be, after that neat but kinda yawn first person horror demo.

Nah, even dealing with clunk they still have plenty of charming personality. This was a good entry all around but in that also more modernly digestible as an FPS. After a couple ā€œback to rootsā€ aspects like mansion, keys, etc. and the endgame name drops, its connections to the series still comes off pretty tenuous. So at this point least comparable, sure. It still gets welcomed to the family though.

I decided to get this because it was cheap and because I really wanted to try something scary in VR. (Iā€™ve been told that technical issues make the Exorcist game almost unplayable on PS4, and thatā€™s the only other option I know of.)

I knew going in that it wasnā€™t the type of horror that I enjoy, but I still found myself wishing for a modicum of subtlety. Especially with the early echoes of Silent Hill 2 (when the protagonist receives a message from his dead wife).

But of course I canā€™t fairly judge the game by comparing it to a different ideal game that doesnā€™t exist. Itā€™s certainly impressive what they have done with this. The VR is well-implemented, and it probably works even better on a PS4 Pro.

I reached what I assume is going to be a hub save room before stopping for now. (VR hurts my eyes after a while.) I think my favorite part so far is opening the refrigerator door. Being in neck-deep water is also a nice VR experience (also seen briefly in Astro Bot).

The only RE game I have played previously is the fourth one, on PS3.

1 Like

I was really glad when I realized that this auto saves on top of your manual saves, because I kept having to suspend it when it got too scary and I wanted to play something else some of those times

2 Likes

also idk if Iā€™m the only one but I found the gore and body horror to be incredibly relieving because those immediately soothe me into a slasher movie vibe whereas I find jump scares absolutely terrifying

ā€œoh thank goodness Iā€™m being dismemberedā€

1 Like

I get scared sometimes playing Slime Rancher if one of my slimes jumps at me too quickly so

I didnā€™t ever finish this game

2 Likes

Iā€™m going at a snailā€™s pace but Iā€™m too impressed to stop

honestly everyone buy PSVR for this itā€™s worth it

I am so in love with this game and itā€™s funny to me because my and Adiā€™s tastes were always very different from one another and heā€™s the only one Iā€™ve seen gushing about it to this extent

The setting is so well-observed, itā€™s genuinely terrifying in VR (Iā€™d encourage anyone who hasnā€™t played it yet to hold out, it makes a huge difference) while also being enthusiastically campy, it looks back to RE1 style tension and level design, the physicality of it is compelling as hell. Iā€™m not the biggest horror buff in the world but this is one of those rare videogames that Iā€™d love to see played by people who have only a glancing familiarity with the format; itā€™s a constant refrain of ā€œoh god, they want me to do that now.ā€

1 Like

videogames arenā€™t usually this good at being genre works and in the very rare circumstances that they are, being videogames does in fact make them that much better

1 Like

Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying it! I feel like this game didnā€™t get enough love around here. I thought it was excellent, though I do wish it kept up its whole madcap grindhouse movie vibe consistently all the way through. That opening hour or two was perfection, the rest was merely very good.

1 Like

the tapes even! the tapes are brilliant! I had to shut the first one off partway through because I didnā€™t want to know where it was going, and that was something the game anticipated and let me pick up from there!

Are you talking about the ingame tapes or the DLC? Cuz I never tried the DLC.

no the ones you find and put in the VCRs in game that are playable and show you a different characterā€™s perspective on something that youā€™ll more than likely encounter yourself soon after and are meant to take away hints from

such a good narrative device

I donā€™t know that I think itā€™s a bad thing that the overarching plot becomes fairly predictable well before the halfway point because that opener is so aggressive and thereā€™s so much level design to get through

Oh yeah, those were cool. I liked the one where youā€™re in the sonā€™s adventure-game-puzzle-style murder room.

the

fucking

fleur de lis on the walls of this nightmare house

I love it

One of the tapes made me jump when I was playing this game the other night.

1 Like

still canā€™t believe I slept on this (but exceedingly glad I was resolved to wait to play it in VR). the horror arc is so good! the progression from ā€œahhhh!!! ahhhh!! goddammit!!!ā€ ahhhh!!!" to ā€œOK. Fuck. You know what? I am going to kill these fucking people and burn down their fucking house if itā€™s the last thing I doā€ is like perfectly paced.

this new team is the real truth, of every major Japanese franchise resurgence this is way up there

1 Like