Let's Get Discreet w/ Ambient Music

footage of Spencer Clark’s Avatar Blue show in Antwerp last week:

In Spencer’s words:

The transference of James Camerons’ future film, AVATAR 2, into the ULTRA-PREHISTORIC world of the PRE-CAMBRIAN ERA is alive in SPENCER CLARK’S NEW ALBUM PREMIERE, AVATAR BLUE.
In order to influence a positive outcome in the world of Hollywood, AVATAR BLUE will imbibe a morphed AVATAR being into a speculative historical time period of the Pre-Cambrian era; whence a large influx of oxygen poured into the oceans from volcanic aqueducts to create a multitude of bizarre underwater creatures. The placement of the Avatar beings in a Pre-Cambrian world is a statement and gesture of personal power by the Imagineer, SPENCER CLARK.

During the week, of Avatar Blue, visitors will witness all the Art Objects used to make the Installation in the HET BOS GALLERY.

Het Bos will be flooded with LASERDISC cinemas showcasing the height of hollywood straight to video special effects in movies like: TC2000, BRAINSCAN, ROBOCOP 2, THE ABYSS…etc.

And on the final evening there will be in the concert hall performances of 4 Imagineers commissioned to invent 4 pieces for AVATAR BLUE: JAMES FERRARO, FRANCESCO CAVALIERE, LIEVEN MARTENS MOANA, and SPENCER CLARK.

You are invited to shred your existence and become BLUE. Avatar Blue is a color, a ride, and experience…’

LIST OF LASERDISC MOVIES:
DEEP STAR SIX
LEVIATHAN
THE ABYSS
ARCADE
EXPECT NO MERCY
A.P.E.X.
EVOLVER
CYBERTRACKER
PROTOTYPE
BRAINSCAN
LAWNMOWER MAN 1 + 2(VIRTUAL WARS)
EXPECT NO MERCY

2 Likes

I’m jealous, that looks fantastic!

TC2000 was the first laserdisc I ever bought.

Brainscan needs some proper discussion around here.

1 Like

New Floex. Ambient or not, I think it’s very good.

1 Like

https://anneguthrie.bandcamp.com/album/gyropedie

1 Like
1 Like

Really got into Barwicks 2011 The Magic Place album last year or so?

Calms me down, and gets me up!

1 Like

recent faux-compilation/mix compiled by operator of the Should Be Asleep youtube channel.

This selection is devoted to revisiting time spent in Kamikōchi, a remote valley in the Hida mountain range of the Japanese Alps, during a summer now some years past.

4 Likes

Ambient music album to raise money for a good cause:

I still listen to this one from a few years ago:

2 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

Four hours of mixes from 2018 by iconic poster Diego Olivas.

praise be to the golden age

7 Likes

Oh baby, this is my shit! Great recc.

bonus dlc:

4 Likes

…Having these definitions as starting point, this interpretative composition is a tribute to the original game released on sega genesis, that in fact i feel it had an important role on my affection for ambient music. This piece was created with generative techniques to bring a continuous ethereal movement of ambient music. It was created with Max/MSP and software from Inphonik, Native Instruments, Eventide, Waves, Aberrant DSP, Spitfire Audio and Arturia.

1 Like
2 Likes

2 Likes

That album reminds of Wolfgang Riechmann in a few spots.

2 Likes

I think y’all will like this one:

I don’t listen to a ton of ambient music but this really reminds me more closely of Hiroshi Yoshimura than anything else I’ve heard. There are probably better comparisons but it’s the closest reference I have.

The titles of the songs and some of the music make this have a slightly darker/sadder/griefier vibe to it, but it’s by no means a sad or dark album. I would say the vibe is closest to “hopeful”, which is different from happy/calm/contemplative.

It’s not strictly ambient I suppose, the penultimate track in particular is more of a like…midi ditty in style for the first half. But yeah, I recommend this highly esp. considering it’s name your price.

3 Likes