Let's Get Discreet w/ Ambient Music

Some great reccs in this thread!

I’m here today to tell you about one of Brian Eno’s best ambient albums of his entire career, and easily his rarest and least known. In 1997, he composed the soundtrack for an edutainment game called Nile: An Ancient Egyptian Quest. I don’t know how they managed to get Eno on board, but the music he composed for it is beautiful. Unfortunately, it has never been officially released. Luckily, there are pretty good bootlegs of it out there on places like Soulseek.

Here’s a full stream of it someone uploaded to Mixcloud:

It’s seriously way better than any of Eno’s other 90’s solo work I’ve heard, by a wide margin. I don’t know how it happened.

5 Likes

i’ve been really into this kevin drumm piece for the last couple of weeks

1 Like

I haven’t watched this whole thing yet but it’s got trippy visuals and nice ambient music/sounds in what I’ve seen so far

EDIT: The “Ambient” menu option is selected around 35 minutes

Also Goku for the laseractive, although there’s lots of talking over all the cool ambient stuff. But I like the talking as well.

WARNING: Goku is filled with a lot of gender essentialist nonsense. It’s mystical enough to get a pass by me but it is kinda stupid.

1 Like

Persistence Is All.

1 Like

I mentioned this in the song-of-the-moment thread a while back, but I listen to Nothing But Noise a lot. It’s a side project by members of Front 242.

1 Like

Aube is one of my favorites

Musique Concrete might be at the more extreme end of ambient

3 Likes

I’m well into the PS4 startup screen. makes me feel all wistful

1 Like

which come to think of it reminds me of hammock. also very wistful. I am a wistful kind of fellow

1 Like

This 1995 electronic album is really interesting:

The band used knives and paint and tape and other tools to mutilate CDs and record the glitched results. They then took these recordings and composed them together into ambient pieces. This was a very interesting moment for the CD format – possibly the first time listeners could really hear the medium itself, explored in such detail. Today we’re all familiar with the ways that CDs fail, but back then it was still novel… And to hear these failures brought together in harmony was groundbreaking.

The music holds up. It may not be as mindbending as it was in 1995, but it’s still a beautiful and fascinating composition. What was futuristic and alien in 1995 now feels nostalgic, hearkening back to the last major mass-market physical audio medium.

I just saw the vinyl pressing of 94 Diskont on sale and picked it up like an idiot. It’s kind of a joke of an object: the most thorough exploration of the foibles of the CD medium… presented in vinyl. I like the surreal nature of that. It does faithfully recreate that fucked up CD sound, but the occasional vinyl pop makes it even more pleasantly confusing.

7 Likes

Is hipster hotel eligible for this thread?

Climax Golden Twins

This new James Ferraro EP is one of the coolest things he’s ever made. Feels surprisingly of a piece with Oneohtrix Point Never’s recent album, but much easier for me to access as a listener.

Science fictional ambient, the sounds of a computer virus ravaging the last chirping modems in decaying cities while animals stalk the overgrown streets.

It’s neoclassical ambient, totally mutant vaporwave… It takes what I thought was tired terrain and reinvigorates it. Green Hill Cross in particular feels like something very new. It’s not even all miserablist, there are surprisingly catchy bits and beautiful moments woven in. It actually kind of reminds me of Geinoh Yamashirogumi’s Ecophony Gaia, which I really should post about in this thread soon.

And apparently this is just the prologue to a four-album cycle.

4 Likes

yeah that ferraro is mint. classical hardstyle.

this is neat. it maybe reminds me of hiroshi yoshimura’s catalog in parts and autechre’s oversteps in parts. i did feel that ecophony gaia comparison too. i dig it.

Also his earlier stuff has been reissued recently.

1 Like

oval rips. dude has a track or two in secret stages of Rez which is what got me into ambient many moons ago!

1 Like

Woah, I did not know that! This is a great excuse for me to finally finish that game.

This is streaming on bandcamp by the way. I just got the record and it is fucking amazing. Highest recommendation

_SOMEWHERE OUT THERE, MANY YEARS AGO THE STORY OF EVOLUTION TOOK AN UNEXPECTED TURN…

ON AN ISOLATED TROPICAL ISLAND, FAR FROM THE ACID RAIN OF CIVILIZATION A NEW BREED OF MAN
WAS BORN, HE WAS CALLED HOMOWAVESAILOR"

ALTERNATIVELY TITLED: “HOMOSWAVESAILORS”, AS JACK MCCOY’S 1984 FILM ABOUT THE BIRTH OF WINDSURFING, DETAILS, THROUGH THE GAZE OF THE SPORT AS A PRE-HISTORIC ANCIENT RITUAL, THE EXPLOITS OF A FEW OF THE SPORTS ORIGINATORS. BACKING UP THE CLEAR 80’S BLUE VISUALS OF WAVES WHITE WASHED WIND BLASTED SFX, IS A VARIETY OF ORIGINAL POP AND SYNTH MUSIC MADE BY THE FILMS’ COMPOSER, CHRIS EGGLETON. THERE ARE NO SONG TITLES, RATHER EACH TRACK IS SPICED-UP WITH WIND AND WAVE SOUND FX, WHICH WERE ORIGINALLY MEANT TO ACT AS SOUND ACCENTS FOR WAVE SAIL ACTION IN THE FILM. THE POP SONGS ARE BEACH-SPIKED HITS, SOUNDING LIKE NEW ZEALAND’ FLYING NUN ROCK, OR BLASTED OUT PRINCE CHORUS FUNK, BUT WITH ADDED FILM SOUND FX, THE ESSENCE OF THE SILVER SCREEN BEGINS TO CREEP INTO THE MEDIUM OF AUDIO DISC! THE SYNTH MUSIC ON "TRADEWINDS’ SOUNDS AS IF TANGERINE DREAM MADE INSPIRATIONAL BEACH MOVIE TRACKS DURING THE HEIGHT OF THEIR “FIRESTARTER” PERIOD. THE MIX, IS ARRANGED BY PACIFIC CITY, SO THAT THE SUMMER DOESNT CRASH AND BURN. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY, PACIFIC CITY SOUND VISIONS PRESENTS :THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK TO “TRADEWINDS” ON VINYL LP. BREAK DOWN… SHAKE DOWN… YA BUSTED…

SPENCER CLARK, ANTWERP 2017 _

1 Like