least depressing black mirror episodes

15 000 000 Merits would like a word for that title, IMO.

Iā€™ve never been able to handle any in-your-face satirizations of flashy consumerist commercials or numbers-going-up computer interfaces or any combination thereof on, like, this side of robocop (I remember this part of sorry to bother you tweaked me as well). I always find it simultaneously too obvious and too grotesque; I wasnā€™t even able to make it to the end of that one or nosedive because itā€™s so viscerally repulsive to me. probably a me thing though.

The ending is probably the best part (unlike a lot of their other episodes), so I could see how not making it there would lower your opinion of it.

I did think that episode was too long, though; I nearly turned it off in the middle too.

Thatā€™s a fair assessment, it does drag on too long with the world building before the plot line shows up.

Nosedive is another favourite of mine, geez Felix you really pick 'em. :V

yeah i thought the first season was brilliant but have not touched it since

I never liked black mirror, not even the first episode! I actually hated the first episode, its just a warmed over hunter s thompson joke

started catching up with S4 now, and somehow hope this show tries to keep to the ā€˜yeah, aside from being too sci-fi, not that far off, oh shā€¦ā€™ angle, yet am a bit excited for the USSā€¦ something episode i will keep for the end of S4.

They obv. will continue to shell out more $$$ from here, but thatā€™s not a bad thing, i thinkā€¦ If the new eps continue to feel like that P.K.Dick Electric Sheeps Dream-mini-series on Amazon, thatā€™s fine with me, and would be a good enough company for former bad news anchorman Brooker (srsly though, i miss his news-wipes. Reality just seemed to have killed the market for his format, andā€¦ idk if thatā€™s what made him and his companion showrunner lady turn to more escapist-sci-fi episodes, but iā€™ll take that rather than having no bleak brooker in my life at all?)

so yay, next ep tomorrow!

Seeing this phrase for the first time in a review for some Marvel Comics movie is what made me lose my remaining interest in Marvel Comics movies. (I still saw Logan, though.)

I watched one of the latest Black Mirror episodes last night, after hearing something on the radio on my way home about how it was the highlight of the three and at least better than the new Twilight Zone. I thought it was okay. (The new Black Mirror episode, that is. Have not bothered with the new Twilight Zone.)

I keep thinking I should give Electric Dreams another chance, even though I found the two episodes I watched somewhat underwhelming. (Iā€™m critical of pretty much any PKD adaptation.)

The internet told me that the new Black Mirror season sux. I liked it though! I liked the Miley Cirus does NIN episode a bunch because of the music. My favorite was Striking Vipers, however. I read a headline about how itā€™s not treating LGBT characters well but I didnā€™t pick up on that at all while watching it.

It doesnā€™t suck, but itā€™s short and has no standout episode. The easy shot to take is that Striking Vipers isnā€™t as good as San Junipero. Itā€™s the best of the three new episodes, but isnā€™t as good as it had the potential to be. The Miley Cyrus episode felt a little like Short Circuit, which isnā€™t a bad thing. The season was okay. I can see why it got bad reviews, but I liked it.

1 Like

The episodes didnā€™t break any new ground and itā€™s not the ā€œshockingā€ black mirror people have come to love, so I get it, yeah. But it was still good entertainment

1 Like

Striking Vipers is limp when youā€™re already familiar with ERP and their only addition is that itā€™s in full senses VR now. Cheating still cheatinā€™ even when youā€™re cheatinā€™ with another of the same gender (though whoops itā€™s still always girl on guy) and the story arc basically played that out in a slow hour-long format. It needed to be a whole lot snappier.

2 Likes

Smithereens has the same issues as the first: long, drawn out and wondering why for a point so shallow just like the social media company protrayals HEY-O. If youā€™re looking for entertainment or for some deep introspection itā€™s missing both. One brief moment of humanity a la Persona releasing the password and then itā€™s back to being blank business personalities, even for the head dev whoā€™s written to be on our side (dissonance considering appearance, ā€œgod modeā€ and so on).

smitheerens had a couple of little moments that were strong but it was too little story for an hour

the miley cyrus one is literally indistinguishable from a disney channel original movie except with [drug] and [curse]

striking vipers really barely scratched the surface of itā€™s subject compared to even like a basic real world story about second life from 2005 but the performances were pretty good

really the secret sharpest part about black mirror now is the concept that full mind clonsing and entire sensory vr are such like plug and play open source code that the developers are too lazy/crunched for time to actually take it out so they just leave it in

5 Likes

I havenā€™t watched any of the Netflix Black Mirror, but it should be noted that Ryuichi Sakamoto did the soundtrack for Smithereens, which is up on the usual streaming services and such.

Have to agree with this description, but also with your further comment about lazy mind cloning for cheap merchandising. Itā€™s a stronger plot than the other two and actually does a better job of showing a world a step or two forward in our future (pest control dad fiddling with brain scanning software to get ā€œinto the mind of a ratā€ and build a better mousetrap, extracting compositions from a comatose artist).

gonna pitch an episode for the next season of this about how fucked up itā€™s gonna be to toast toast with the toasters of the futureā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve been getting all these news lately about how master tapes of GnR, Nirvana, NIN and so on were probably destroyed in a 2008 fire and now all I can think about is that future generations will truly only have the Miley Cyrus versions of NIN songs

what if youtube was destroyed in a fire