LAUNCHER WARS

As Steam has been stagnant for years now, uplay and origin basically release one relevant game here and there now it looks like Epic is trying to capture the market in a big way via offering a better cut to a certain tier of publishers.

But… if you visit their store it’s pretty bare. A couple of exclusives and fornighte which is a hype game on a Blizzard level right now? **Would you guys be persuaded to get more games on a different launcher?**

I know some in SB totally use GOG and some avoid it, I’m personally hoping Epic creates enough noise and competition Steam is forced to do better, but it’s pretty hard for me to get out at this point.

I played Witcher 3 on GOG and I’m tempted to get it on Steam just so the ONE game I have on GOG would be in my steam launcher so I could get one less app off my system. I even tried to do GTA V off of the rockstar launcher, cost me a night of extra DL because their server is very slow compared to steam and I honestly play the game less because it’s in a different launcher.

• No, there’s no store-wide DRM, though game developers can add their own.
  • No, Epic doesn’t plan to add social components like game streaming or forums.
  • Yes, Epic will help devs take advantage of online features in their games (presumably things like chat, matchmaking, and cloud saves, though they weren’t mentioned by name).
  • Yes, the Epic Store will offer refunds — initially through customer support, though an automated, 14-day, no-questions-asked return policy should follow soon.
  • Yes, it’ll be available outside the US, in “most countries in the world except for China and where prohibited by US law, such as North Korea and Iran.”

This sounds pretty sweet to me so far.

I make icons for the games I’m playing and pin the ones I’m playing often to the start bar, so as long as I can do that I don’t care what “launcher” it uses.

1 Like

I kinda think the fact that Epic is avoiding community/social features is fucking great

7 Likes

just send me a link to download a .rar with the game in it, i don’t want a launcher. i know how to make desktop shortcuts on my own.

7 Likes

Def. gonna need a high quality Steam/Epic/Itch/GOG integrated launcher soon.

1 Like

I am very glib about capitalism and literally don’t care, Steam got there first so sorry everyone else my not needing to think more than 2 seconds about it trumps all other considerations

5 Likes

i hate having more launchers, it’s so fucking awful. i have Steam; Blizzard’s whatever the fuck; Ubisoft’s “I may need to be reinstalled occasionally to even run” bullshit; GOG Galaxy which is, I guess, fine; and the itch.io launcher which…actually that one is fine.

Oh, and sometimes I have shit on Humble that I don’t have elsewhere so that’s another place to look.

To play Rainbow Six I launch steam then the game which launches ubisoft which actually launches the game

I am against more launchers, but I also hate Steam. I want something that will launch everything i own from once place.

I miss having a CD wallet with pieces of paper stuck in with the CDs that have their keys.

Actually that system sucked too.

Computers suck. Burn them all down.

2 Likes

I have never bought a game on itch in my life because, ugh, clicking. Who needs it

I don’t know dawg, user reviews are sorta important and they won’t have those

Also their refund policy is not no questions asked, it’s apparently a real hassle where you have to send them a bunch of shit to verify who knows what. But I’m not sure on the details so correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

With the culture of targeted review bombing and such I don’t really think store-based user reviews are all that valuable.

1 Like

the epic thing is electron so it has higher system requirements than most of the games on there

5 Likes

I don’t think that those isolated cases warrant the removal of a tool that’s useful to consumers 99% of the time! You can easily filter out those review bombers in a couple of seconds if you just look at the reviews instead of just the aggregated number.

Anyway, now I read that most of my gripes are because the store isn’t finished yet. Someone from Epic said that reviews will come later and that the refund system will be similar to Valve’s once it’s done. So there’s that

1 Like

steam is just straight up embedded chromium so they dont even get to take advantage of any ease-of-use stuff that electron adds

maybe stuff being native instead of node makes the backend less piggy but i’d imagine the rendering engine is the bulk of the bloat so it probably doesnt help much

Are we still considering GOG nazis? I mean I am until I hear they like give 10% of proceeds to feed the homeless or home the homeless etc.

? what makes you say they’re Nazis?

I don’t know about nazis per se but gamergate (my auto correct corrected that to haberdashery) and other right wing related fucks for sure, that’s documented

1 Like

GOG/Projekt Red people were recently openly transphobic on twitter, iirc. But also, like, any significantly successful company will slaughter a minority on livestream if it increases their stock price without repercussion.

2 Likes

Yeah they were. So sad…

too bad gabe and the dude behind epic are nazis too.

I don’t know what you’re referring to with gaben but I mean I don’t doubt it. At least he seems to shut up about it though unlike CDPR?? That’s always been the problem with valve, that they don’t communicate, but maybe that’s actually a blessing