LAUNCHER WARS

gaben plays the game well, that’s all. maybe i was off with sweeney, but I thought he made some gamergate-like remarks at some point, no?

This does not map to my cultural experience of these people and their environments. I wouldn’t trust them to wield political power, but I wouldn’t characterize their rather standard tech views like that unless we’re making a line and putting everyone on a side.

My understanding of GOG/CD Projekt is that it’s half cultural (this is not the anglosphere and they’re only half in our swirling gamer culture) and half willful blindness.

2 Likes

I live somewhat around the corner from Poland and I don’t know if I’d excuse them like that. Sure their culture is a bit different from the US (in that it’s less sensitive because it’s not as multicultural) but they’re all tech savvy internet dwellers at cdpr and should be well aware of the global culture found there. They are just assholes, is all. Those responsible for those posts anyway. I can’t say how deep it goes, obviously. I’d expect artists to be generally more progressive than the average population but that might just not be true in this case

3 Likes

All those cats who complain on itch about how they need these games on their steam accounts can choke on a gross bug.

5 Likes

i will use infinite launchers as long as they work. i have no loyalty to steam, i don’t mind installing other shit if they provide value. i’ve had origin installed for years just to collect my free On The House games (which they recently discontinued). if epic wants to give away more free shit, you bet your sweet ass i’m all over it

3 Likes

I mean obviously the upside of this perspective is that it’s good to have these competitors to put pressure on steam even if your desire is to keep using it and not think about it

needless to say they would rather not describe the stakes this way but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Oh yes, I just read that they’ll give away Subnautica (highly recommended) and after that Super Meat Boy. A new game for free every two weeks. That will get me to finally download the Epic launcher because I only played an unfinished pirated copy of Subnautica and I want the full game.

They got me

2 Likes

Just wanna toss in that the witch hunt mentality of saying ‘all these people are bad so it’s all bad’ without pointing to something is really not helping. I’m not saying anyone at these large companies are great people by any measure, but at least have an accusation before throwing someone under the bus.

1 Like

Said bus is going to be suspended by balloons.

1 Like

GOG fired the guy making shitty tweets

He has since moved on to a more explicitly goobergatey platform

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/gog-transphobic-tweet-gamergate-website/

7 Likes

I mean, he was doing that stuff before they hired him as well, from what I read somewhere, so it just reeks of CDPR/GOG at very best not bothering to research the social media presence of a guy they hired to manage their social media.

2 Likes
1 Like

When does SB’s game launcher come out? I’m looking forward to launching Metroid 2, zero ranger and dog days, from the forum.

12 Likes

Who would be our social media manager who we would be forced to fire and replace within a week?

5 Likes

the killer app is an exclusive pc port of SAVAGE, with a free ost download

3 Likes

Vito

2 Likes

It turns out that I already had their launcher from when they gave away Shadow Complex Remastered a while back, so yeah I’ll just push a button for a free copy of Subnautica that I’ll never actually play.

2 Likes

i actually do this as a living so… me?

Tmkf probably

It is today that, with great pleasure, I announce the official Select Button rerelease of Dog Days 2. A heady game that is part of the SB canon, this should relaunch the debate on whether or not two guys with guns can actually carry a good game. This reminds me of the time (1/34)

4 Likes