KEY CHANGE BABY 🔑 đŸȘ™ đŸ‘¶

i assume all artists are idiots channeling the cosmos however it lands

2 Likes

maybe i could reword it as “art’s more fun to analyze when you assume it’s purposeful” and that would cover both.

because i do think it’s interesting to analyze it through the “post hoc editing” lens, too, but i don’t think one invalidates the other, regardless of which lines up with reality. art is more about how it’s perceived than how it’s made.

2 Likes

i think i largely agree with the thrust, though

maybe it dovetails with my conception that it is far more valuable to evaluate a work on its own merits rather than gauge it based on whether or not it meets various criteria, such that a failure to meet those criteria is seen as incompetence rather than expression

this also gets me thinking about wings of pegasus (youtube music dude) who isolates people’s vocals and runs them through pitch analysis - he constantly talks about how the note you’re trying to hit is the line (which autotune will snap you to) but all the expression comes from where your pitch doesn’t hit the line

at any rate, the transformers theme is one of my favorite bits of tv music and ultimately, it doesn’t really matter how it came to be from a consumptive/listener standpoint, only how amazing the final product sounds. the other bits come more to the fore when you are an artist thinking about technique and craft

3 Likes

wowo im so pleased at this nuanced conversation about artistic intent that encompasses & describes my own feelings better than i ever have lol

i was taught and raised on Barthesian analysis and chucked it out years ago because it’s so limiting, and so damn abusable. “Oh well Death Of The Author and whatnot” is practically a thought terminating cliche. its so much more layered complex fascinating to consider where creative intention meets craft, meets deadlines, meets accidents

(also that essay fuckin sucks ass i hate death of the author ive always hated it)

anyway heres a duh answer to my own topic

BUT also a good example of perfect art coming from the oddities of craft: “strawberry fields forever” had a bunch of different takes, in different tempos and keys. John Lennon asked George Martin to stitch together what he thought were the best takes, and when Martin complained that it would be a pain in the ass cuz of the different keys and tempos Lennon said “you can do it” fully confident in him. and then George Martin did it, because he was a fucking wizard and the most important member of the Beatles

I mean, it was intentionally cut to match the animation. They didn’t drop the tape down the stairs or something. I think this is also obvious watching the intro (I remember thinking that was the most likely case when I watched the Transformers as a kid) and it seems like something Charles the Youtube Piano Man should pick up on and mention, which I mean maybe he does, I’m not gonna watch the video.

Not to say trying to chart out a chopped & screwed song isn’t an interesting exercise, but putting it that way instead of saying WHOA how WACKY probably isn’t good for the yt algorithm

1 Like

1 Like

surely you can believe people might have a different intuitive understanding of the world than you do?

not sure what else to respond to here that isn’t a rehash of my convo with meauxdal.

2 Likes

this song by some person i think has an abrupt half step key change 2/3 of the way through

this person is kind of a nobody tho, so it’s maybe not something you should listen to

3 Likes

just a classic semitone up modulation on the line

“and don’t underestimate the importance of
BODY LANGUAGE, ha!”

2 Likes

striking semitone up right after a minor third up, smackdab in the verse

these cats are killer

6 Likes

Damn this is like someone’s composition thesis

idk if you’ve listened to the twigs much yet, but this level of songwriting complexity is just par for them, no cap. they are songwriting / arrangement wizards

listen to some of these unexpected modulations:

the verse is in F and the chorus is in B lol

1 Like

first pass on “just no getting over you” → up a whole tone (Gb to Ab)

1 Like
3 Likes

I would like to publicly admit to foolishly dismissing these guys as zoomer foxygen also-rans, when they first appeared, but it is so clear that that was deeply idiotic and that they are peerless wizards that have made the world a better place

1 Like

Since it seems like this thread has been getting a little more attention lately, and because I had a nice time recording myself improvising on guitar yesterday (Lily’s always encouraging me to do it but it’s taken me ages to actually get around to), I got a bit of a nicer recording setup together today and took a couple of recordings that are more chromatic to post here. I love music that’s like, tonal in some sense but harmonically rangy/modulatory/toys with the sense of key/etc., and I’m always trying to figure out something to say about it in this thread, so hopefully this at least seems kind of on-topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

shorter one:

longer one:

4 Likes
2 Likes

i love these <3

1 Like

Awww thank you so much ^^ that’s really sweet and encouraging.

1 Like