KEY CHANGE BABY 🔑 🪙 👶

post your favorite songs with big notable key changes!!

1 Like

one of the sillier key changes of all time (in that it changes and then quickly changes back again for no real reason)

this Flaming Lips song has a sincerely good melodramatic key change though

4 Likes

this song heralded the end of this band mattering to me but it’s pretty fun in itself

1 Like

obligatory

my band used to cover crazy sometimes to close out sets, it’s fun cause you can pull the stupid trick of waiting for everyone to clap and then launching into the key change’d tag ending. years ago we were playing this shitty bar in new haven with an owner/bartender notorious for stiffing bands if they ended before 1am and not mentioning that part of the deal in advance. we came up short on time and ran through like five key changes at the end of crazy trying to make it up, I’ve never seen someone look so infuriated.

6 Likes

It says right on the screen when it happens which is very helpful

4 Likes

the whole chorus of this song

4 Likes

I’ve always been fond of this supremes song because of its key ascent in the outro that’s so rapid it’s almost comical. they go up a whole step three times in less than a minute. I love it.

2 Likes
1 Like

1:32

0:21

1:38

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

this is one of the most moving passages of music i’ve ever heard.

the same key change occurs at 1:15 and 2:29 but, i think mostly due to subtle harmony vocals beginning at 2:17, the second feels MUCH more sweeping. you won’t know what hit you.

3 Likes

this tune is so good, and the key change is pretty subtle

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

the whole thing is pretty funny (analyzing the crazy time signature of the transformers theme!) because the tune wasn’t written with that time signature, it was just edited after recording to match the intro animation

4 Likes

well that rules

1 Like

art’s more fun to analyze when you assume intentionality!

1 Like

hmmm, that’s interesting

not to overthink a flip comment,

i don’t think you have to assume intentionality - i find it more valuable to consider that any and every element might or might not be intentional contextually. do you not think any insight is gained in understanding that the time signature is a result of post hoc editing? that is interesting in itself.

let’s say you’re an artist and wanted to make something similar. you might consider using the same technique (writing something straight and then cutting bits out) with conscious contiguous intentionality, rather than trying to write something like that theme from the go

3 Likes