Keep your Brother Nier and Your Dad Nierer RE

this just reads like lazy gatekeeping hipster-ism to me.

Oh hey, on PS4 you can just access your profile while the game’s running, and your “Now Playing” status will show you your current status message.

1 Like

i am not seeing how any of these words apply, except maybe hipster-ism i can kinda see

I can see how an admonition to play the old, technologically flawed, and 360/PS3 exclusive game is gatekeeping that experience.

Implying it’s definitive is a shot at people trying √1.5 after the series got popular for possibly superficial reasons. Ahem.

i’d say that if anything, gatekeeping is happening on the side of Square and others on the production side through their keeping the original in a less-than-accessible form on an old platform, rather than on the part of a critic who is wrestling with the displacement of a text with an altered new version. i don’t see any shots at players being taken here.

5 Likes

It is disappointing that the 360 version isn’t BC considering the program exists. It was highly requested but probably didn’t get Square’s approval because of the remake.

2 Likes

First impressions. Brother Nier is a bit of an adjustment since he doesn’t really seem as distinct as daddy Nier but that might just be a first experience bias. I think it’s his voice, it’s not like the character is extremely complex or anything. He just has this weird earnestness about him. Curious to see how voice direction changes once we get to the midpoint.

I forgot that Weiss’ magic is literally powered by blood.

The new music is fine but I do see people’s point about the mix. The crossfades aren’t completely binary but they happen too quickly. I tried this with moving closer to Devola and the volume does go down but just drops off too rapidly. Also hills of radiant wind played with vocals on the first entry into the field but then I haven’t had them since? It also seems like for each track they’ve just introduced a new chord change randomly somewhere. I guess to make people who played the original go :open_mouth: The track they really messed up so far is Blu-bird. Nowhere near as heavy or corrupted.

Auto battle is pretty great but it seems to just be activated by the camera rather than proximity to an enemy. I have to constantly nudge Nier to look at a shade to get auto battle going again. Otherwise it’s an excellent feature and I wouldn’t be able to play it without it right now.

7 Likes

The combat feels a lot better in this. Not that the combat was ever my main focus in playing this game, but I genuinely look forward to it now.

2 Likes

the article has nothing to offer but this tripe, unless you count the weird aside about kingdom hearts having good combat that I guess doesn’t count just like dark souls combat doesn’t count, because, I dunno, some things have to count and some things have to not count.

every third post on nier here is nier dad this nier dad that I’m gonna remember this when the last of us re-remaster comes out

9 Likes

like people are really reaching. idgi. is it really that hard to just let nier be good

2 Likes

Can you imagine if Joel were Ellie’s bishounen surrogate brother

7 Likes

My interest in Red Dead Redemption 2 evaporated when the fishing mini game was too opaque and I spent upwards of 20 minutes making no headway on a single catch. It seems strange that my taste for a game in its entirety can be undermined so severely by one minor aspect, but that’s what happened.

Having finished all the fishing quests available before arriving in Facade, Nier Replicant √1.5 thus far falls just shy of that line: high-difficulty fish can provide a similar level of effort, but at least online guides for Nier can provide guidance on fishing strategy and how to progress with lower-difficulty fish.

A long time ago, I half-watched some story analysis videos that I have basically no recollection for, and I watched some of a Let’s Play of the first few hours of the original NieR Gestalt. So, I don’t really know how it compares to the original, but I’m here to say that boar drifting makes the endless fetch/delivery quests 1000% better.

4 Likes

The secrets felt more secret as punctuation to the most self-indulgent kusoge

Automata was also audacious about wasting the player’s time but had concessions - easy mode, the Bayonetta dodge, pretty girls and boys, etc.

Nier’s signature move is in essence backtracking and reworking earlier sections of the game with more script, then rewarding the patient people who stay with a sense of intimacy that incidentally felt exclusive when it was a cult game people bailed on because it could be miserable and ugly moment-to-moment

Yoko Taro absolutely wants to make user hostile software, but I’m not sure he wanted to make player hostile games

Sonic Adventure has better fishing is all I’m saying

9 Likes

Strong words about any fishing minigame

2 Likes

yoko taro says if the game sells 2.5 million copies then he’ll release daddy nier!!!

4 Likes

Kaine redesign is dreadful, locking the in game clock so you can’t cheat flower cultivation outside of time zone switching is genius. Boar physics phased from OutRun to After Burner. Confirmed that it hurts when you drop the entire english script on your toe.

5 Likes

nier busey has been in prison all this time

3 Likes

The world isn’t heavily populated, but it feels convincingly alive. It’s still a really nice place to chill out in. So I have no problem doing fetchquests for random people and making them happy. Didn’t the cat meow in the original? I only hear the dogs bark in this one.

4 Likes

I think the overall strengths of the game are remaining intact in this remake, but it feels a little superfluous. like I played the original on PS3 maybe two years ago and this feels almost exactly the same. the cosmetic upgrades are unobtrusive and it still “feels” like the same game in the most important ways. I feel like even if squeenix never releases a full daddy nier dlc (the bonus dungeons where you play as him don’t count) it’s only a matter of time before some kind of fan mod comes out that attempts restores the original western version. I still feel like I’d probably rather play the original PS3 version all things considered! the combat improvements are nice but I honestly thought the combat in the original was great, jank and all.

really hope they kill that transphobic achievement tho!

3 Likes