it's yume nikki's thirteenth anniversary this month

im not crying youre crying

here is a little bit of the YN fanart from this month

5 Likes

should i play this or let it sit on my hard drive, installed and forgotten like every other game i have on pc

2 Likes

You should play it asap, preferably in a dark room with the volume up, and while only half-awake

i mean i don’t really play videogames anymore basically at all so im not really in a position to judge

there are not very many things that have left more of an impact on me than this, but of course that has a lot to do with me and when it was in my life and uh, as with pretty much everything else, ~*~gender~*~

chose not to make this a kop thread because these days i only really care about Feelings and personal experiences and not about games discussion/criticism

that said yume nikki is the only game i’ve made an actual attempt at writing a big pretentious monograph about, so

2 Likes

I played Yume Nikki back when it was new and I remember loving it. It was mysterious and beautiful. It was completely inscrutable on purpose, which felt really novel at the time. It was frustrating to figure it out sometimes, but it was worth it for the vibez. I’m really curious how well it’s aged.

haley made fun of me for claiming truthfully that yume nikki was the first good walking simulator

1 Like

c’mon, everyone here knows that title belongs to super monkey adventure

1 Like

it’s amazing to think thirteen years ago, videogames as we know them did not exist

1 Like

idk what it says about me that I recognize alot of this art

I found a japanese artist on tumblr a little ways back who does a whole lot of yume nikki fanart (some which is in the OP), I like their style: http://madonooimo.tumblr.com

also good art:

this game is very important to me and I was gonna write something for it too but yeah

I joked on Twitter that it’s the culmination of pride month and knife month and that prolly summarized my thoughts on it pretty well

there’s some good remixes too:

anyways I like this game alot

1 Like

it says that i’ve followed a lot of artists through your RTs lol

1 Like

It’s already been mentioned in other threads, but this was added to Steam this week. (It’s still free.) And there’s apparently a follow-up game coming out. (Maybe next week?)

I played Yume Nikki when it was pretty new, but I never explored it thoroughly despite it being right up my alley in many ways. On the other hand, I’ve spent considerable time in LSD: The Dream Emulator. (I even have a legitimate copy on my PS3 from the Japanese PSN store.)

I’m glad that @OneSecondBefore mentioned that there is a bicycle in Yume Nikki. That makes a big difference, and I’ve been playing the game off and on over the past few days. I hadn’t realized how many unique areas there are, and I’m finding the game pretty inspiring.

(If you tried Yume Nikki before but found it too slow and didn’t know about the bicycle, you can get it right away by entering the yn_door door (lower right) and then just walking straight left.)

6 Likes

remember when you got mad at me for saying yume nikki was the first good walking simulator

i still hold my stance

also happy birthday yume nikki, you played a vital role in my childhood video game interest

1 Like

to be honest i can’t even remember why i had mine lol

i guess the steam release means kikiyama is actually acknowledging this as the final version. really curious to see what the “follow-up” looks like

1 Like

I mean, not necessarily

updates can still happen theoretically

It’s quite possible that this new project could be a remake of some sort too. Maybe an actual walking simulator even?

I think Yume Nikki’s still worth playing because the artwork and atmosphere is just that good. For the best experience, I’d advise folks do so alongside a FAQ so you can 1) get to the bicycle ASAP as soon as you start the game, and 2) you can freely explore for an hour or two after that without looking things up further, but when you run out of known entrances/paths, then look up the ones you are missing instead of wandering for hours trying to find them.

Aimless wandering is an intended part of the game, but even impatient FAQ readers will definitely wind up doing a lot of it regardless, and after a point, it’s unnecessary to do even more. And it is worth being completionist and seeing “everything” IMO, since some of the most poignant artwork is in the deeper parts of the dream.

3 Likes

I took your advice and tried to see most of what there is to see. One thing I couldn’t seem to trigger however many times I tried is the Mars landing. Maybe it was because I was making snow fall as I entered the ship. I could not turn that off, other than changing it to rain.

When I finished the game, I couldn’t help but feel as if I were doing something wrong. I mean, it was my explicit action that completed the story. Maybe the protagonist is better off continuing to explore dream worlds.

Yeah, I don’t like the ending either. Even when the dreams are ugly, there is always this sense of curiosity and wonder, this desire to explore and to share what you’ve discovered (even if only into the diary). It seems to forget about those qualities. I think the ending was maybe something that was decided early and never really reconsidered.

The new Yume Nikki is a 3D remake with input from the original creator. Looks kind of like a PS2 survival horror game. There aren’t a lot of details yet but there are a few screenshots.

1 Like

general brilliance of the game aside, I’m not particularly interested in what Kikiyama thinks of fans remaking their game. But I’d love to know what they think of any of the fan sequels or successors. Although I really doubt they’ve played any of them. I certainly haven’t. There has to have been at least a dozen by this point, right? Japanese and English and everything else.

my only real curiosity about this project is how it handles the ending. It will probably just be the same thing over again. Or maybe a new detail will be added to make it even more ambiguous.