It's a PC Engine Mini!

I finished Ys Book I & II last night, pretty great game. The bump combat is a surprisingly engaging and a little more involved than I thought. This game also has the funniest transistion from CD quality sound and intro cinematic to the actual gameplay. I liked that the final fight of Book 1 felt like a battle against a DVD player screensaver.

I think I accidentally encountered a somewhat convenient glitch where I got lost in the canal looking for the door to the Ys Core, I could see the door but didn’t know how to reach it so I saved while standing on the edge of the platform looking toward the door. The next day I came back and loaded the save and was now on the lower level so could just walk through the door. I think it was the same X, Y coordinates, just the game didn’t seem to save the elevation or whatever.

One weird plot thing that stuck out to me was that the fortune teller who sets off the whole adventure gets kidnapped, and then as far as I know that never got resolved. She’s just never mentioned again. Did I miss something?

also found it funny that Feena only shows up briefly to get saved by Adol and then becomes irrelevant to the plot until the last minute where she’s now apparently Adol’s main love interest except she’s a goddess so has to disappear forever. Poor Lilia.

Apparently there’s an anime adaptation of these games, is that any good?

4 Likes