is Grimes the most Insert Credit/Select button musician?

okay follow my logic here
i got super drunk last night to work on A GIVDCON and i ended up listening to and watching Grimes videos for most of it. at some point going from Kiezsa (someone you should watch) to Grimes I ended up on this video: World Princess II. Let’s start at the title.

World Princess II sounds like the name of a god damn Japanese Videogame circa the mid 90’s. this started me thinking: is Grimes one of the best Insert Credit Famous People that have never actually posted here? i poured over the video and the rest of her musical output to figure out if this could somehow be true.

the opening shot of that video is basically a shot from Persona 4 (or even 3 or a lot of games) with a dude announcing “oh my god this shot” being the only thing that ruins it.

at numerous points in that video (seriously: watch it but only after reading this) Grimes herself exhibits motions that could only be described with the words Canned Animation that perfectly match the kinds of things that a JRPG heroine/love interest does in overwrought shounen cutscenes .

at 2:09 there’s a tracking shot over some kind of desolate, almost noclip mode architecture with the rest of the video being played behind. and then you ntoice the uniform she’s wearing brings to mind british schools, or does it bring to mind Shin Megami Tensai…If?

3:59 is where she does a trot across a ruined bridge out of a late ps2 era JRPG that nobody really played. it is where she’s telling the protagonist that she loves being outside of the crumbling walls of the city and the player is starting to relate to her.

3:28 , another tracking shot that brings to mind the slow circle of the camera of a PS1 RPG or action game. Grimes does some kind of bumpy, springy trot towards a ruined fountain. cohort only feet away.

this video is almost too much to process. the heavy beat and the fantastic dress bring to mind only one thing (couples with grimes incredibly cute voice):

Suda 51

wearing dress straight out of a No More Heroes games, Grimes dominates the aural space of the song with her voice. occasionally breaking down into outright screaming. the constant use of a subway brings to mind the repetitive visual space used in No More Heroes wii-remote conversations between the protagonist and Syliva.

the constant hand-drawn interludes over the reality of the video and the fashion of the way the characters in it are dressed bring make me refer back to the grasshopper manufacturer idiom:

GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE: PUNK’S NOT DEAD

VIDEOGAME BAND
the usage of punk as aesthetic but the refusal of punk as a genre or a real way of living ones life. i have watched this video a thousand times. one time, it brings to mind this song (released wayyyy before this video)
|

different musical genre but the same installation of silence beforehand; the difference is that it’s much longer in grimes video.

once i sent an ex girlfriend this as a joke but only now do i realize how serious it was:

you can pour over this as much as i do but they work incredibly well together, especially if you can get the heavy beats of Bad Girls theme to sync with the disjointed movements of the dancers (not sure if i did this time)

here’s even more Proof (?): a song introduction by David Hayter, chosen specifically for his role in the metal gear solid series

turns out she’s also a huge fan of the Metal Gear Solid series, has a bunch of twitter posts relating to MGSV

i think i’m onto something here!!

4 Likes

She’s a really good producer and I don’t like her records at all

More Tumblr than SB; the most SB musicians are our own

3 Likes

I am a Grimes fan and so her live earlier this year, she puts on a good show.

I think I like her first two albums the most because they’re a bit more experimental than the third and fourth, but I enjoy those too

2 Likes

The Realest Girl Gamer

i remember seeing Grimes at FYF in LA a few years ago, and she was on stage, standing on a raised platform between two “neon mountain” lookin’ things with dancers on each side, and she looked like the most glorious Tumblr Aesthtic Wizard who had ever existed but somehow still came across sounding like a normal, chill person inbetween the songs, it was a fun time

2 Likes

Totally my guiltiest pleasure. She took the cool nerd crown from Rick Moranis.

1 Like

Let’s not go bananas uih

4 Likes

someone around here posted this (@loki?)

and made the blip register on my radar. Haven’t been following her output, but she manages to steal herself into ytube recommendations every now and then w/ a new song.

I’m so out of touch. Never heard of Grimes, but uh she’s pretty amazing.

i thought her first couple of albums were grrrr8 and she’s a lot of fun live but art angels was fuckin’ 'orrible

she posted a picture of nocturne on her instagram once so maybe???

1 Like

Are we allowed to mention that she’s into Dune?

i don’t think it was me! though i really love the videos for realiti and kill v main and also she is super pretty

1 Like

no

2 Likes

She can draw too.

Considering the first album is a concept album based on Dune, yes?

She tweeted that more games should be aimed at girls because the Nintendo 64 is one of the reasons she got into music, so that’s cool. I bet she liked Iggy’s Wreckin Balls.

More of her earlier stuff should be posted here:

Also this music video is where she started getting her current aesthetic

She forgot the lyrics to one of her own songs when I saw her live (she had it on a piece of paper but dropped it) which made her seem a lot more human.

California is my favourite song off Art Angels. I was disappointed that they used some dopey version for the music video.

Also World Princess II is the “sequel” to a song on her second album (called World Princess)

3 Likes

NO

1 Like

hey everyone did you know grimes’ favourite book is dune, let’s talk about that

2 Likes

how could you do this

YOU KNOW THE LAW

3 Likes

14 Likes