introduce yourself

thanks! I made it myself

6 Likes

hi. i am “HAM SALAD”. i know people from on here and have accepted the fact that i cannot stand to post anywhere else these days and that i am a weird videogame person

my life primarily revolves around monastic training and trying to maintain my 47,000 bizarre pursuits in the small amount of free time i have.

while all cats are the best, my cat is up there among best cats

34 Likes

i’m obspogon. i love videogames and the old internet.

edit: I came here because @tegiminis mentioned this on twitter.

31 Likes

welcome

i like your website

3 Likes

thanks

1 Like

I’m jadeddesigner! Was invited here by friend. If this is a cult you’re legally obligated to tell me.

Here’s a list of things I enjoy:

Gunpla
D&D
Video games from my childhood
Experimental heavy metal and synth
Illicit horticulture
Generally benevelant anti-social behavior

24 Likes

THERES A THREAD FOR ALL OF YOUR INTERESTS

GUNPLA
D AND D
METAL
there are no illicit substance threads on this site…
INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR

i couldnt pick just one games from your childhood thread, there are so many. check out king of posters!

hello i am the other person who was building a zssa zssa gabot

6 Likes

Hi!! Thanks for all the links!! Ill check these out.

2 Likes

numbers don’t lie – weed and buffoonery still the internet’s top pastimes.

12 Likes

Hello!

Here comes a big sloppy post.

I’ve been lurking here off and on since I want to say 2008? I have vague memories of listening to the SB 1.0 podcast during sweltering summer bike rides, in a mid-20s gap year at my parents’ Appalachian homestead (god bless them), following my first nervous breakdown due to working conditions in the tech industry in Austin.

By now, I only remember that I was listening to the podcasts, but they were definitely a comfort. They were like the conversations my college friends might have had had they been more interested in videogames. I also remember Insert Credit from this era, and there might have been a third site vaguely in the constellation?

God Hand! You were talking about God Hand. I remember that much. And I played Space Funeral that year, which left a mark.

New Games Journalism struck me as excessive and self-indulgent when I was an idiot college student, because I didn’t really understand how brutal things were out there. (I also thought FF7 was exaggerating with the total planetary death stuff.) Now that I have a few more decades under my belt, I of course know that monsters are real, are bent on annihilating all joy, and are in charge everywhere. Why not make a 9 hour video review of Cyberpunk 2077?

What else? As a teenager, I was active in the “Klik Community” and then made some flash games. I also had a little Final Fantasy fansite that helpfully hosted the ROMs for 1-6 along with my writeups, and it lasted like 3 years before the free webhost it was on bothered to delete it. I was also on Discworld MUD and a generic DikuMUD called Burning.

I was dipping my toes into Unity back in 2020, but my friend who was the real vision behind the project died suddenly in October, more or less precipitating my second nervous breakdown (another big factor was 9 poorly timed months in a major, unfamiliar urban center, during which I mostly “learned what a conversation with the police looks like” to quote Robert Evans) and another flight to the hills.

Staying here is absolutely untenable, and yet, I have to find a new job before I can leave. In the meantime, I’m gaming more than any time in the previous decade (Rimworld, Disco Elysium, Elden Ring, Cruelty Squad(!), Dark Souls II, Control, Dwarf Fortress, Immortality, G String…) and putting on movies like they’re wallpaper. I downloaded over a dozen yesterday as I processed six months of a thread where you talked about movies.

By now, I’ve lost enough friends to death and psychosis that community, even vicarious community, has taken on a new significance. I’m glad you’re still here. Thanks for posting.

PS is godot engine worth learning or should i hold my nose and use unity? i dream in level geometry and need to produce SOMETHING.

34 Likes

the gamers quarter!

4 Likes

Hey, nice of you to start posting! Glad you’re here.

On game design stuff, my approach is to choose a tool that will accomplish what I want while providing the minimum additional burden in terms of what it’s going to take to become fluent, how hard it’s going to be to find resources when my specific scenario goes awry, and so on. Taken on these criteria, my inclination would be to lean toward Unity, since it’s got more resources available, but as someone who’s barely brushed the surface of either platform, I’m sure that I like Godot Engine more.

If you already have some proficiency with this stuff, I think you should go for Godot Engine… (…because then you might be around to answer my questions if I decide to go that route myself, some day.)

2 Likes

These days, they’re similar in capability; Unity has been used for a lot more and so is a much bigger tool, which can make choosing the way to do something more difficult. Notably Godot, due to its open-source nature, can’t be deployed to consoles without hiring a port studio, if that matters to you. They’re both good choices.

honestly 3D level design doesn’t get more fun than using brushes and something like the Quake’s Trenchbroom editor might be the best tool. Modern static mesh level design, which means building pieces in a modeling program, is a real pain in the neck

5 Likes

Yeah you’ll do just fine around here

12 Likes

was just thinking the other day about how to walk from Sator Square to the Ramtops

3 Likes

oh god, all the posts from 2010 are still there

people still said “teh” in 2010

2 Likes

trenchbroom and godot engine sound like good places to start. i do know how to find my way around big codebases in a few languages by now, so godot being open source is a plus. rough feature parity with unity and some people liking the feel of it more is good enough for me

i wonder how hard it would be to glue this to godot with the c++ bindings

1 Like

i’m not sure if i ever actually left ankh-morpork, but that game felt like a real place

3 Likes

i’d blood potion your username if i could

5 Likes

Hi!
I am very new to SB and completely (blissfully?) unaware of the forum’s history. It is by complete chance that I stumbled upon it. Whoops!

My first foray into online spaces was posting on Advance Wars fan sites and RPG Maker forums - and I have never really found anywhere as inviting or engaging ever since.

I briefly worked in the wild world of AA video game development as a junior artist before it smushed my enthusiasm and my contract ran out - but I really cut my gamedev teeth in the years that followed working on several (mostly tasteful) eroge.

Since then I’ve been fairly enamoured with game studies and small scale game development, completing my Masters in which my dissertation focused on the archeological/anthropological/socio-cultural value of appropriated media in video games.

I am currently trying to get back into writing and figured a space such as this might be inspirational and motivational and otherwise good fun.

So far you all seem a pleasant bunch and I’m pleased to meet you!

41 Likes