SMT Nocturne

2 Likes

i am so fuckin bad at that game but my god is it ever beautiful

Hi! I’m here to work on my elocution

6 Likes

I ain’t like that no more

12 Likes

reintroducing myself after 4 years

hi i’m cania. sb made me gay. i used to think i was a slacker but now i know i’m a type A weirdo and i just hate capitalism. i like sonic adventure but not as much as you’d think. i’m typing this from the corner of the basement that i have turned into a blanket fort.

i never participated in sb1.0 or ic

i’m working on my new website but it’s slow going since i’m making, editing, or stealing 16x16 icons for every podcast i run or hobby that i have. this is what i value

i send posts by hitting ctrl+enter

20 Likes

Lurked a little towards the latter days of SB1. I found that via a @Rudie blogpost funnily enough. Started to post when SB2 went live. Glad I did, you are all great people!

My avatar theme is Brian Wilson. My posting theme is ‘I’m 33 and don’t have time for games no more’. I live in Berlin. People are welcome to visit!

16 Likes

I’m Father Torque. I used to run the baddest ass club in the southwest, but now I’m in retirement and spend my days pounding goons on a highway loop. I’ll give you a kind word of advice, but you’ll need to figure out the next puzzle on your own, Polecat.

7 Likes

I transcribed Explosion Invincible Bangai-O for GameFAQs in 2001 https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/dreamcast/196683-bangai-o/faqs/11465 . A couple weeks ago someone emailed me a list of interview questions about it. That was unexpected and I don’t know who they are or what they might have intended to do with it. Answering the questions was sort of boring so I started answering them Bangai-O-style, which was much more fun. They seemed a little nonplussed about it. I’m going to post it here because I don’t know what else to do.

1) Do you understand Bangai-O's story?

It has been a long time. I don't know if I understand. But maybe I do?

2) How easy or difficult was it to understand?

It is difficult! There is no choice but to keep going! Explosion
Invincible Bangai-O!

3) Did Bangai-O's translation ever interfere with your understanding
of key game mechanics?

No! Or...I think that's right!

4) What is the tone of Bangai-O's story?

Silly and peppy!

5) Is it successful in achieving that tone?

Yes! Or maybe? We must say probably!

6) Is there comedy? If so, how would you describe it?

It is strange! There are things to laugh at, but who can say??

7) Is there drama? If so, how would you describe it?

The drama is thick here! Characters die, then come back! What are
these strange family relations?!

8) Who was your favorite character, and why?

Is there any but the marvelous Mrs. M? That will be 50000 Credits.

9) Who was your least favorite character, and why?

Someone I forgot, I think! Wait, isn't a lawyer there sometime?

10) Were there any lines of dialogue or key moments that stood out to you?

Yes, but many! The ones I most remember: in level 1, Riki's "I take it
you are the boss of this station! The boss, or maybe?" and in level 2,
Mrs. M's self-introduction: "Today in the Infostation It's Miracle
Lucky Time with the super sexy M."

11) Did Bangai-O's translation stand out at the time of its release?

It did for me! Yes!

12) How do you think audiences responded to this translation?

It is hard to say! I think I shared some on a message board and they liked it??

13) Do you think Bangai-O needs a new translation?

What?!

14) Discuss anything else you would like to say about Bangai-O's translation.

This is certain, it is the strongest!!
23 Likes

Hm I don’t know how to add to that post without it getting stuck in that Q&A box ^ so I’m just going to double-post like a boss, because I just remembered of course my actual secret origin is that a long time ago I got interested in NeoGeo because there was a SamShoII cab in my dorm lobby in college and I was poor and bad at fighting games but I just watched its attract mode sort of hypnotized. Once out of college I found emulators and ran NeoRageX on my 120 mHz PC. Then I found out there was a tiny NeoGeo I could afford called the NGPC. Then I found out there was a NGPC forum on the web called Sector: NGP. Then S:NGP’s board host InsidetheWeb was going away and I had sort of taught myself Perl so I made a replacement for the board in my own primitive script and that became the new S:NGP board which for some reason is still going Sector: NGP Handheld forum and this guy named exodus posts there (my old handle there is Paleface because I liked the Lucasarts cartoon western FPS Outlaws and Paleface was my online handle when playing it and I was stupid and didn’t understand it was a bad way to go for a name and also this was a long time ago and people were generally more ignorant although maybe me more than most and I guess I’m a jerk because I still use it there for some unexamined reason and heck I still own the URL oh well) and he had a game news site and more recently he’s had a podcast and in one episode I think someone on there maybe Tim mentioned selectbutton and I was like huh what’s that and found it was this forum and listened to all the sb podcast episodes which got a little weird and then listened to all the uh wait oh right the SNEX episodes which were pretty good and now I’m listening to NoRA which is fun except sometimes combat is a bit slow and the music was too loud at first but now that’s gotten better and I also decided maybe I should post here sometimes because S:NPG and its extra hidden forums have been slow for like 15 years and I have things also I thought maybe I could get some people to see my YT channel because I was agonizingly close to 1000 subs after 3 years of posting videos every day and I got impatient and I’m a jerk. … That part did work though.

Edit: sorry about that also hi.

15 Likes

Oh hey I recognized your name because I saw some of your videos on youtube years ago, welcome

1 Like

I guess I never posted in this thread! I’m OneSecondBefore. I used to on-and-off lurk Insert Credit, Gamer’s Quarter, and SB1 over the years. I have no idea how I first heard about IC. I never really retained much about any users and I never went in the axe, so I really don’t have, like, deep creepy knowledge of anyone’s origins or anything like that. My most vivid memory of those old forums is the LSD: Dream Emulator thread, which blew my mind and really expanded my perception of what video games could do. I also did happen to witness IC’s death the night it happened, without any real context for why it was happening… That was intense!

Anyway, around 2015 I decided, fuck it, I should grow up and start actually posting! It was one of the best internet decisions I’ve ever made. This is my home online now. I love this community.

I’m a librarian and lately I do a lot of career stuff with library technology. I’m also a filmmaker. I’ve recently made a TV series called Preserving Worlds that is HEAVILY influenced by SB, and even includes contributions from multiple posters here (and will include more in season 2!). I was also on the original Snexploration podcast crew, and even though I fell off it for a little while, I still try to appear on episodes whenever I can.

27 Likes

I remembered I google something and Dope Box art - #825 by HOBO was the first result, at that time I wanna find a place to post my retro discovery after Tumblr sold to Yahoo.

Anyway, I’m nastypaul, so glad to find SB2.

23 Likes

See, that’s why it’s important to Just Post: there’s always the chance something you do will reach the right person…someday.

20 Likes

Also hi I’m Bachelor I’m sure everyone already knows who I am because I’m kind of a big deal but just in case you don’t:

I drew like half the avatars you see on here. I have made many great threads and posts. They’re all easily findable if you look at my profile, so go there and read all of them if you haven’t already. I am working on one of the greatest games of all times. There’s a thread devoted to that too, maybe read that one as soon as you can. Or save it for a rainy day, I dunno, do what you want, it’s your life, just think you should read it. Also I’m very handsome and my favorite video game is Mushihimesama Futari. Don’t ask me which version. I can’t remember. 1.5, maybe? Black Label? Or…Black Label 1.5? I don’t know, one is better than the others though, I’m sure of that.

These are all facts, there is no shame in stating facts. You should never put yourself down! It’s not good for you or anyone else. Anyway, keep me in your thoughts, thanks.

26 Likes

i read this intro out to my partner and they informed me they’re marrying you now

11 Likes

Another win for the just post lifestyle…

16 Likes

Updating this to say I am Rudie. I live in Yokohama Comma Japan. If I am short or make a small post at your assume I had to cut it short because my child was trying to parachute off a table.

I’m using this post to link the best post I have ever made: All We Can Do Is Wait (Persona 5) - #38 by Rudie

14 Likes

Hello. I’m DaleNixon.

I’ve been around since the IC days. I remember the great forum implosion there. I was mostly a joke poster back then, but I made some actual flesh zone friends on that forum. A lot of my old posts are probably pretty embarrassing.

I’m one of the resident car nuts around here. Tho my interest in real life cars has diminished a bit over the last few years.

I’m probably older than you :\

I’m definitely less mature tho :slight_smile:

22 Likes