INFINITY MOAR [spoilerz!!!]

Random Thoughts:

Y’all, Spidey had to go like that to punish all the bored parents.

I am actually quite pleased that I can now go to work on Monday and delight a coworker by saying I really enjoyed her, like, favorite movie ever. These movies really do make some people really happy. She was like, “I liked it more than Force Awakens. I like Marvel more than Star Wars now!”

I think the fact that Thanos’ goal is just to randomly kill off half the universe, rather than to cause pain and suffering works as a good excuse for the standard thing of him not just wantonly maiming and murdering Our Heroes the moment he defeats them.

Stuff I Hated: really just Vision. That was some weak sauce, and when you hate a character it’s really hard to see why his friends don’t just kill him to save the universe. Like, “Oh man, you guys are getting out of this one easy.” I’d be like, “Yeah, it’s a shame, but–wow–such a generous sacrifice, okay yes: let’s do this immediately.”

At first, I was really annoyed by Strange giving up the time gem to save a guy he just met, but yeah: it’s pretty obvious that he already used the time gem to set a trap that Tony has to be around to unwittingly slam shut–all part of his 1 Chance vision. Also, maybe Tony will die if he asks for too much money.

Edit: When Spidey brings up Aliens as a “really old movie” the joke is that it’s time for everyone on Select Button to be carried to the top of a mountain and left there.

1 Like

Expected though. Just like all deaths are undone unless they’re actually passing the torch, anything that is “taken away” will be restored. The MCU is intended to be as endless as the comics, so they can’t have a Thor without a hammer. And–uh–well, Hemsworth was probably getting annoyed by the eye patch.

Tbf, Rocket giving him an eye he was holding onto was unquestionably The Best Possible Backtrack.

1 Like

I really don’t understand how you can like this but not civil war, they are so similar

1 Like

I saw Serenity without seeing Firefly and it tricked me into thinking firefly would be worth watching

There is no actor as good as Chiwetel Ejiofor in Firefly

1 Like

I don’t actually mind him getting a new eye and a new weapon so much as I’m upset about their ark getting fucking wrecked in the first five minutes of the movie

w/r/r the Gamora thing I guess even if I’m on the verge of being a “finds parental love too obvious and uninteresting” meme it was still too much pathos to inject into a perfectly good other franchise

1 Like

happily I liked the doctor strange character just fine in this despite turning off the doctor strange movie ten minutes in

1 Like

he took bullets in age of ultron to save everyone’s favorite character, hawkeye

the bullets were from an aircraft mounted vulcan cannon or something which means they would have punched right through his pitiful flesh and traveled straight on to make more holes in the hawkster killing them both and it was impossible not to think about this the one time I saw this movie :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah this is definitely a better version of that character than he got in his own movie. There is unfortunately not much space for him to really matter that much but I guess in general wizards are more appealing if they don’t have to be audience surrogate characters and are instead allowed to hold a few things back and be mysterious

1 Like

also everyone always talks about how it reflects badly to not give Scarlett Johansson her own movie or much of a character arc in these but I feel like she’s actually perfectly happy being fairly mercenary about the whole thing and is not particularly slighted by not having her own two hour slice of Marvel origin story. She shows up & does the work & everyone has a good time

or I guess alternately there’s under the skin

2 Likes

oh yeah i missed the first few minutes so i didn’t see the ark wrecked

can we talk about how peter dinklage was typecast as a forge operator at last

2 Likes

foundry operator :waynestare:

8 Likes

I feel that’s a pretty bad example because Serenity, if anything, does a pretty great job of getting you primed for the plot even when you haven’t watched any Firefly (I didn’t)

Say what you will about Joss Whedon’s writing, but in Serenity, he manages to introduce a cast of eight main characters, and the relationships between them in the first 6 minutes of footage in a way that feels completely organic. His craftsmanship isn’t lacking

1 Like

also all other things being equal they are lucky that so many of these characters are so well cast

they get very reliable performances out of rdj and the chrises

The best gag in the film is when Iron Man tells Spidey to stop it with the pop culture references, Star Lord makes another reference after joining them a few minutes later, and then Tony lets out a solid 5 second sigh.

I felt very well represented there.

3 Likes

Are you talking to me?

The only Avengers I’ve tried to watch before this was the first one, which I didn’t finish, because who cares.

I might like Civil War, but probably not, because it doesn’t have the Guardians of the Galaxy, and I find almost every other character terminally boring. I might like Winter Soldier, though.

It was already developed in Guardians and resolved in this movie. This was Guardians 2.5.

Parental love =/= abuse (see Guardians 2 for parental love arcs), but yeah, whatever: it didn’t resonate with you.

All I could think about was

“But see–here’s–the kicker: in this universe, dwarfs are very large!”

“Yeah, okay–I already said I’d do it.”

"See, we’ll capture your body movements and use that tracking to cut you out of frame and

“I SAID I’D DO IT.”

1 Like

Honestly, I got a good internal chuckle out of the idea of Star Lord meeting someone else who knows about foot loose but thinks it sucks.

I would kill for a mid-credits scene of Spidey catching Star Lord up on pop culture in the Everything Turns Out Okay, Except Cap Dies sequel. Spidey tries to show Quill twitch streams, but he doesn’t get it. Then he shows him Minecraft and he’s like, “THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT GAMES WOULD BE LIKE IN THE FUTURE.”

1 Like

nobody at work agreed that naming that thing a forge instead of a foundry was offensive and also that the castings should have had sprues that needed to be filed off or otherwise removed, pacing be damned!

someone on a podcast who’s apparently been binging forged in fire made a crack about how how thor’s new hammerish needed to be heat treated (though I think they just said “quenched”) or no way will it be hard enough to defeat a god but like

we don’t know what kind of metal they’re making it out of, nobody name-checks steel

could be some sort of air-hardening space alloy, who knows?

SEE LOOK HOW REASONAB–

4 Likes