i want to give you a copy of the coolest plane game of all time

more like it forces oyu to stop playing the game!! i just gave up on it after trying for aaggeeessss

I don’t remember that stage or ever having to dump any fuel D:

Welp, just bought a copy for ten bucks, cheers guys.

1 Like

fwiw it was fun 100%ing it because some of the planes you unlock trivialize the few remaining challenges.

This thread prompted me to play this game tonight

holy shit this game is so charming

the mechanical voice giving you a pre-flight briefing, complete with custom 2d art

the marker lights that turn on when you enter a cloud (safety first!)

the environmental hazards seem like they’re individually scripted

like, there was some young, excited game designer starting his first day at his first big job, and his first task was to create rockfall #2. this guy wanted to prove himself, to make the best fuckin rockfall he could

4 Likes

SB game of the year.

1 Like

Went to save the game and I realized that this is a beautiful dream for Frank to have

2 Likes

who wants to help me hack this and put all the pilotwings 64 music in there

Really? The Pliotwings 64 soundtrack is pretty lounge-y. Kow Otani really works for Ends of the Earth adventure.

The Great Divide is sort of a lame duck mission, as you’re almost certainly going to be misled to dump the fuel too early and probably miss the route with the rings. But I have to respect the design, as underestimating the immensity of the obstacle you’re up against just contributes to the idea of confronting an unknown, sublime force of nature. There’s an astonishing sense of scale as the unexpected scope and height of the mountain chain unfolds in the fog (which totally works within the technical limitations!); it was a little bit humbling as the white cloud in front of me turned into a white wall and I awkwardly came to a stop in some random crevasse.

There could be such a great modern open world game based on the Sky Odyssey scenario (in its broadest sense, so maybe with other means of exploration and support besides planes), where you work from lonely settlements and gradually push outward.

1 Like

I been sayin this shit for years: Talespin The Game

1 Like

the music is generally well-written (if relatively generic) but sounds so specifically terrible that i no longer want to hear any of it (i’ve heard it all many times at this point)

pilotwings 64 ost is appropriate to my mentality when playing this game. i get that’s it’s adventurey and stuff and yay excitement but i honestly just play the game to chill the fuck out!

these are really nice tunes! but dear god that sound palette

For crissakes PS games were on CDs for a reason

I’ve never understood e.g. the FF7 soundtrack. Just, why

Final Fantasy VII Original Soundtrack is a soundtrack album containing musical tracks from the game, composed by Nobuo Uematsu and produced by Uematsu and Minoru Akao. It was originally released on February 10, 1997 through DigiCube and later reissued directly by Square Enix on May 10, 2004. The soundtrack spans 85 tracks over four discs and has a combined duration of 4:39:53

four discs

a combined duration of 4:39:53

omg fine you guys i’ll try playing this game again

I remember the rumours being it was left over from when it was going to be a ULTRA 64 game

Oh, I own that. On disc. Hell yeah boyee

Gonna buck the trend here and express deep appreciation of FFVII’s soundfont. FFVIII’s too, idgaf.

1 Like

Landing on trains is fucking hard

FF7’s soundfont is infinitely less offensive than sky odyssey’s; however, uematsu loves to linger on high-pitched sustained woodwinds and strings, and the soundfont is absolutely ear-shredding in that register with those timbres. i bet someone could do some good work with stems and low-pass filters on that ost.