I have just modded my Wii

Can’t you still buy and play all the Wii eshop stuff on the WiiU?

yeah
requires pairing an old wii remote/classic controller & i’m the edge case ‘has a u but no old wii stuff & isn’t interested enough to buy any’

Thrift Shops in the Yayarea are crawling with wiimotes

Yeah at 480p :frowning:

The worst thing about that is 480p isn’t that it’s low res, but that it’s not low res enough.

1 Like

forget about wiiware and play zangeki no reginleiv

1 Like

Zangeki no regelev is not a very good game.

you… you monster

Is there just one universal Wii mod or are there competing custom firmwares

Been thinking lately about how I really want to play the Metroid Primes

Well it is a real easy mod and then you are a little bit of wild west on how to do anything.

I never figured out how to play downloaded wii games.

Also y’all i got a modded wii to sell ya.

If you couldn’t e-pirate with it then how do you know you modded it correctly

It could be make fake custom firmware put out by Nintendo to discourage piracy

i just put something on an SD card.

In order to get Wii game “backups” working on custom firmware you need to format the USB/HDD as WBFS first using something like http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/. It’s not as immediately obvious when you consider how stupidly easy the rest of the whole soft-modding enterprise is.

i’m late here, but do not format any devices as WBFS - this is 100% deprecated and a waste of a (probably large) partition/usb/hdd - also a waste of effort since you can’t use a WBFS drive/partition with anything but your wii and you can’t view the files natively on any OS (you have to use specific applications that are largely/exclusively windows-only).

use this loader: https://code.google.com/archive/p/cfg-loader-mod/

use this application to convert your games to .wbfs (iso also works natively iirc) and transfer them to a fat32 drive (games larger than 4GB will be automatically split): http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/

going to crosspost this in my wii thread.

2 Likes

idk why but i am so paranoid to mod my wii

I have also just modded my Wii. And I spent a whole day today to figure this shit out. Here’s what I did:

initial hack to get HBC installed

cIOS bullshit to make stuff work

priiloader because I wanna install some channels and don’t wanna brick my Wii

this thing to get WADs (WiiWare and VC stuff) on there

this stuff to get a Japanese WiiWare game to load on my PAL Wii

USB-loaders to get Wii backups working

more cIOS bullshit cause none of the USB-loaders wanted to load games from SD-Card

BUT! I can load Wii backups from my 32GB micro SD now! When my China knockoff Gamecube controller and memory card arrives I’m gonna try and get that going too. And maybe some emulators. Wanna play Snatcher with Wiimote lightgun.

PS: I am somewhat very disappointed that N64 game injections are still not really a thing and that I won’t be able to play Shadowgate or Banjo Tooie. Oh well.

1 Like

Most of the best Wiiware games (such as World of Goo and La-Mulana) were ported elsewhere. Of those that were not, Orbient may be my favorite.

I have never modded a Wii, but I just ordered one of those new licensed GameCube controllers so that I can play GameCube games on the Wii again. I also ordered a Wii HDMI adapter out of curiosity.

Now I just need to get a copy of Eternal Darkness that isn’t all scratched up like mine is. The cutscenes always stuttered and threatened to freeze.

I liked And Yet It Moves when I played it on PC years ago. I remember it being a little frustrating at times but I liked the way it gets more psychedelic as you progress.

[quote=“bug, post:40, topic:2525”]
When my China knockoff Gamecube controller and memory card arrives I’m gonna try and get that going too.[/quote]

That happened and it works like a charm, booting GC games straight from my micro SD. This is cool! I guess I’m gonna get a second memory card for Japanese games, I remember there being horror stories about formatted cards and lost saves.

I did this, btw:

I’m always surprised by how small they are, they look so much bigger in pictures.

I had a pokemon box save with a full living pokedex and it got corrupted. I almost cried.

Technology is amazing