I can't believe today was a good play (Games you played today)

On the other hand Slay the Spire might eat my life because I just spent an entire afternoon playing it

2 Likes

turns out Pathologic 2 runs fine actually if you use this one config file memory allocation fix someone found on 4chan so I guess I’m playing it after all

3 Likes

I can’t help but think that it was directly inspired but don’t forget about those Penumbra games, which have a lot in common with White Day as well.

Oh yeah, when I say Amnesia I should really include the earlier Penumbra games before the breakout success. I’m wondering if we have any evidence of links from a small Korean horror game to this company; it looks like it got a western PC release around 2003, so it’s certainly possible it found its way to them. The extant Penumbra press and interviews reference Silent Hill, which doesn’t prove much because the reporter wouldn’t get much out of talking about a game their audience wasn’t aware of.

What do I do in SPACE?

1 Like

You want to make drones to explore space. Put points into self preservation and self-replication so they start reproducing themselves quickly. Some will be lost to “ideological drift” which means they’ll turn against you so you’ll have to start putting points into combat. Also make sure you have at least one or two points in factories, harvesting and wiring so you’re still producing paperclips but definitely spread the majority of your points into self-replication and self preservation. Run auto tourneys with the “greedy” option to stay stocked up on yomi. Winning battles will gain you some honor but the majority of honor will come from purchasing it.

2 Likes

I’m playing the last borderlands 2 dlc. It’s fine.

thanks i beat it

2 Likes

I can turn the difficulty down at any time (which I think just heals you fully after each battle and affects your ability cooldowns) and since they are fixed encounters I believe they are all “solvable” (i.e. I can cheat and look specifics up online) but I’ll keep that in mind.

Oh yeah…

Mutant Year Zero: Day 3

Did a mostly good job on a big mandatory encounter that netted me a new team member, although I got sloppy at the very end and made it a much more interesting battle than it should have been. By that I mean I triggered the last guy by accident, missed my chance to use an ability to keep him in place while surrounded, had two of my three characters bleed out while the third got him with his last shot. So yeah… other than that it went smooth!

When you get a new character they get the full amount of level up points (1 for each level gained, spent on new mutations or stat increases) you have earned up to that point so they become useful immediately. This new guy has a particularly useful ability where he has a chance to possess an enemy for a few turns, which would be better except that I have not found a way to attack them while still possessed. Also if all the enemies active are killed they snap back to reality which is a problem if you accidentally hit a critical shot and wipe them out a turn before you are ready for it.

More importantly I now have a third silenced weapon which means I can take out any lone 16 HP enemy before he can alert anyone else. Thanks to this I’ve backtracked to the encounters I snuck past earlier and managed to defeat most of them.

1 Like

i beat my first boss in remnant. i like how different this game feels when you play co op

I just got a laptop with an Nvidia GeForce MX150 GPU. Though the laptop is for work, I’ve never owned a computer with a distinct GPU before, so I got a game for it. I picked Forza Motorsport 7 because I was surprised to find the laptop exceeds that game’s minimum requirements.

Forza 7 runs decently with this setup: 720p at 30fps. The visual experience is roughly equivalent to that of a well-produced Switch game, but Forza uses dynamic optimization that leads to inconsistencies: only some rainy races show puddles and reflections on the track, cars continue to reflect blue skies when in tunnels, and such. I’ve since forced wet reflections to low quality, which really enlivens rainy races without impacting performance.

In driving games, I play with default assists until I start to notice the car driving itself or working against my intentions–then I pair back the assists. But I was surprised at how little the cars respond to thumbstick steering even after adjusting the assists. This was nearly unplayable, but some googling provided me with a solution: reduce the inside steering deadzone to 0 and the outside steering deadzone to 80. Now the game plays like a dream.

2 Likes

TomaRunner Vs L’Arc~en~Ciel is a real good hell kusoge that would probably be a delight of all of us yelling at it in Branson.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to say I don’t think the sinking city, frogwares new detective game, is very good. it’s got an unnecessary open world that’s just ugly and miserable to navigate, filled with awkward automaton like npcs. it’s got unnecessary combat that’s just simplistic and bad. there’s a skill tree that’s so pointless I almost didn’t even notice it exists. There’s steam shovelware put together better than some of these systems are.

So far the detectiving has been very simplistic though I’m still early in. They needed an assassin’s creed budget and team to make the kind of game they were going for but they should of just stuck with what they were good at cause assassin creed sucks anyway.

the deduction board thing where you combine clues and make deductions is here from sherlock holmes, now it’s called a mind palace. it’s improved from the last two sherlock holmes where it was an unsatisfying giant black screen with these little tiny brain neurons you have to click on and make connections with, but it still was best back in the ripper and testament games where it was literally just a cork board and yarn and index cards.

5 Likes

Didn’t this start out as a skyrim mod

that doesn’t sound likely, it’s the same engine as the last couple games they did

ah, okay, that was The Forgotten City

I put the 360 away so PS1 games are back on the menu.

I started with Lattice. Which is an unmmmmm…

Trance Simulator according to the obi.

11 Likes

God, the PlayStation probably has the highest proportion of dope NTSC-J boxart of any platform

1 Like

whoa that looks awesome, like every modern indie developer’s retro 3D splooge dream. PS1 owns

2 Likes

I completed a run in Slay the Spire as the Ironclad and my reward is… having to do it again as each of the other two characters.

Well, fine, why not.

1 Like