I can't believe today was a good play (Games you played today)

Daphny was being hyperbolic and maybe a little rude, but, as zeno astutely notes, this has a much more personal stake for them. Their work on highly-regarded indie games was basically erased from history, their contribution relegated to “just support”. That pain and anger is gonna come through. Better to understand where it comes from and why than to turtle up.

4 Likes

I made a map in hammer today :open_mouth:
Would you play it?

6 Likes

it’s particularly tough when the dynamic shows up in indie titles too, because so much of the AAA industry relies on entire workflows that are designed to erase the identities of people doing vital work, and ostensibly the point of making a game independently is to reclaim that time and identity from companies that are all too willing to forget you even contributed

it’s honestly really sad that we’ve somehow managed to replicate the whole ““real”” ““labor”” thing in indie games because there’s nothing stopping people from straight up adding “the person who takes walks around my area every day and waves hi to me” as an executive producer

1 Like

Groaning out a massive “eeeeeennnnhhhHHHHHHH” at this

3 Likes

That reminds me of a change to Quake I was thinking about a while back that would actually improve on the game. It was basically just sticking the axe attack on its own dedicated button and increasing the range a bit so you don’t have to be right up on the enemies for it to connect.

Add the ability to hold the button for a charged attack with a little bit of a knock back effect on the smaller enemies and also make it so you can hack up the zombies with it so they can’t keep getting back up (because currently the only way to keep them from getting back up is to just rocket or grenade them to pieces).

Basically a dedicated melee button like in Halo and every other FPS nowadays.

I think those changes would make for some nice improvements without having to go back and redesign the whole game around it (though maybe you would have to anyway).

Also while I’m daydreaming add the ability to throw the axe and retrieve it remotely like in God of War or maybe throw it and warp yourself to it like FFXV. I think the axe is a woefully underutilized weapon in Quake. At this point it might as well be a different game. But if I was doing a total conversion based on Q1 this is the sort of stuff I’d start with.

Oh and the grappling hook mod from back in the day. That was cool I’d work that in the mix somehow too.

Edit-Put in the ability to knock grenades back at the ogres with the axe I’m on a roll now.

This is cool. Half Life 2, or some other game client? I’m getting a bit ahead of myself 'cause I don’t have any FPS games installed right now, but still. I’m really excited to see what you’ve come up with!

1 Like

It’s the new version of the map maker that they just released for Half-Life Alyx. I’ll post more if I make anything actually cool, but I am just a little baby when it comes to making maps for games so that might be a while.

But I am excited that there is a new Half-Life game and new mod tools for people to play with. Source seemed like that last super prolific and healthy modding platform there was. Lots of Half-Life mods, full-conversions and all that jazz. I miss that stuff in games.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wonder if HL Alyx mods could be the biggest experimental front for VR. Between that and MediaMolecule’s Dreams’ coming VR support, I’m looking forward to seeing what comes out of VR in the near future now that it’s easier for amateurs to play around with creation tools. This is probably where we’ll see some of the most fascinating things come from.

One of the most interesting things about VR is that despite an extreme drop in visual fidelity when using PSVR in RE7- low resolution, poor textures, levels of detail changing before your eyes- I don’t feel bad about it at all because the sensory experience you get in exchange is so fantastic. The setting of RE7 seems smaller scale compared to even something like the RE2 remake because of its simpler paths and fewer obstacles to contend with as you go about your way (it’s actually quite a lonely game with less enemy encounters than you’d expect), but VR really brings out the sense of space of the environments. Being able to perceive a true sense of scale from your perspective as the player does phenomenal things to the dark and moldy corridors of a haunted mansion. Those mold men are huge! The sacks of mold or flies are huge! That one boss after the fly sacks is huge! The statues holding the shotgun is huge! This benefits even third person games and I wish there was some way to graft VR into a regular third person game.

3 Likes

I have a hard time believing it will be easier to make a VR game in the Alyx mod tools than it would be with Unreal or Unity.

1 Like

mortal kombat 11 turned out to be really good

3 Likes

serious tactical gun shooters would all be improved by being in third person with bullet time but quake is the ideal to which first person shooters should strive

3 Likes

Metroid Challenge-1 Metroid Challenge-2 Metroid Challenge-3 Zebian Illusion-9 Zebian Illusion-8 Zebian Illusion-11 Zebian Illusion-12

14 Likes

Damn that just looks great. Especially on SB’s black background.

3 Likes

played apex legends for a good 30 minutes before uninstalling it

4 Likes

i am playing on a private quake server with just some friends in a group, that the person who is modding stuff did made something like that.

i am not a quake pro, but for what i remember, the damage was increased a bit, i did something on my logitech mouse to put on the midle button to select axe and attack automatically, we do get some kills with with from time to time, always fun when it happens.

i mean, i am the worse player there, both because i never had reflexes for this kind of thing ( i have 26 and never played quake 1 before last year) and my ping is a bit higher because i am from Brazil) so normally when i am in range and i don’t have a choice i opt out of my regular shotgun and try to pursuit by axe.

Also, some maps they put some kind of axe from a expansion that deals 666 damage, and i love that thing, it turns into a stealth game, trying to get people into my range to one axe someone.

3 Likes

I saw Bloodwych in the Random Game Names thread, which compelled me to buy it and attempt to relive some old memories.

Although funnily enough, my fondest memory of the game wasn’t the actual playing of it.

Click to enter the FLASHBACK ZONE

In high school when I discovered emulation and started downloading all my old favourites, my perpetually stoned friend suddenly remembered Bloodwych for the Amiga and started insisting I find it for him. He was constantly cutting me off mid-sentence going “Bloodwych Andrew, Bloodwych.” " The fairies are waiting for you." “You better find it, or there will be consequences.” etc

I had a bunch of trouble trying to find it, and couldn’t get an Amiga emulator to work, so in maths class while he was stoned out of his mind he was like “We are most displeased with you, this will not go unpunished”. Then he took my ruler and said “I’m taking this, you will get it back tomorrow” like a teacher confiscating a tamagotchi or something.

The next day he was like “Why is your ruler in my bag? I must have taken it by accident?”. Anyway eventually I found the DOS version and we spent our computer classes playing it, then he’d cut me off mid-sentence to say stuff like “I find thee to be a pauper” and “Look to the towers, my friend”

Anyway thanks for reading this somewhat mundane story

The game itself is basically a grid-based first person dungeon crawler with cumbersome mouse interface, frantic clicky combat and a single music track that plays ad nauseum.

The standout feature IMO is the conversation system. It seems like you can talk to literally any NPC you encounter whether they are friend or enemy. So you can come across a giant crab and engage in Forum Boy exchanges that go something like:

“Dost thou know any legends?”
“News is scarce in these parts”
“Thou seems a wise friend”
“Thou masterful scholar”
“Truly my might is unsurpassed”
“I cannot but agree”
“Begone, noble one”

Then you buy all their weapons off them and as soon as you turn your back, they start flinging fireballs at you.

One of the playable characters is a skeleton called Mr. Flay Sepulcrast

12 Likes

FF9. About 70% through the game there’s an upside down dungeon that reverses your weapon stats. Your starting weapons are end-game level power while inside it.

5 Likes

would enjoy mario odyssey more if mario was voiced by Hoskins image

3 Likes

Alien Resurrection has a lot of cool ideas, and when it all works it’s tense and scary as fuck BUT MAN the high levels of jank and intense difficulty are making me want to ditch it. I’ve gotten to an area where things aren’t as tough because of more guns and ammo, so I might stick with it a bit longer. Still glad I got to experience it either way.

Oh, I soft locked it right at the start though, I feel this game was a bit rushed lol. Shame, with more polish it could have been incredible.

Also Ridge Racer 1 kinda sucks to play now but 4 still feels and looks great imo. Also you get a girl to ditch her fiancee by being good at racing.

3 Likes

which version were you playing? even the first PS1 port is more fun and handles better than most arcade racing games released since! though if you’re looking for the original style ridge racer on console, i’d strongly suggest going for revolution or 64 instead

2 Likes