I can't believe today was a good play (Games you played today)

i just remembered my FAVORITE analog person calls it O’EKAKI: PAINT BY SUDOKU

kenji onishi makes really hard HUGE GRID puzzles, they’re great. i squealed when i discovered i was doing a picross freddy krueger

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you’re saying but MGS games are like PKD texts but with a different type of brain-poisoning – I mean that both in a qualitative sense and in terms of their value.

3 Likes

i fail to see what the problem with any of this is. who isn’t amused or enriched by a little brechtian camera-staring ponderosity every once in a while? it’s a time honoured theatrical tradition. kojima would make a good playwright. or at least an interesting one.

imo the fundamental joy of these games is their spectacular failure to suspend disbelief

I’ve been trying to dissuade our movement designer from fixing the slopes movement because for now we look like this

and it makes me happy every day

6 Likes

I can probably read all of, like, Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said in the time it takes your average MGS antagonist to deliver their climactic monologue so that’s like a billion points in favor of books.

9 Likes

I’m also in agreement, recognition of what you’re describing; their language goes an insane length of syllables to incorporate ideas and scenarios A-Z, with so much exactitude that could immediately clash with irl/historical grounding, but I think it’s largely a matter of how that fiction overlays reality - it leans entirely into rationalizing and justifying, overexplaining and articulating, maybe like the opposite of handwaving, sometimes even starkly against brevitysoulofwit. Generally speaking the voice and self confidence behind it, able to somewhat humbly juggle all those Extreme Details is pretty uncommon, it might be fine with putting “what feels natural” away.

I always think this covers it pretty well:

1 Like

SHIP IT

fps mmo has so much potential but all we’ve seen other than destiny is just trash

like how is there not a half-life universe or ghost in the shell fps mmo

There’s the squad shooter “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online” which looked good.

And I’ve always meant to try Neotokyo. Never seen either claimed as great but I’d dip in a while.

Not really mmo-ey though.

1 Like

it wasnt a squad shooter, it was literally just counter-strike with GITS characters. i loved it

1 Like

I’ve never played it just seen it described as such, if there’s team aspects at least among Section 9 that’s awesome, would put work in to join if someone resurrects it.

it’s dead and buried after the live-action movie bombed

it was a weird, CS/CoD/hero shooter thing and also the pump shotty in it was broke as fuck

I give it this, the team dynamics were fun since you could save up charge on your skill and share it with everyone on your team and then you become an unstoppable wall of fast-moving, wall-hacking, self-healing cyber assholes

2 Likes

i think i bought into it early access with the expensive version that gave you Motoko’s SAC outfit lmao

Didn’t doubt but now see why Zero’s given so much “best” talk.

When I last mentioned Stephen’s Sausage Roll things were going less than well near the start of area 3, where it took me about 5 hours to get through 5 puzzles and I was growing annoyed. I took a day or two off from the game, beat the next 5 puzzles in about a half hour total and am now early into the fifth area. Since then the puzzle design has been pretty solid, not really blow away amazing but pretty good, although the early bits of this most recent area suggest that this is where the game ceases playing around and goes for it so hopefully this is where it truly shines and does so without making me cry.

1 Like

Tetris Effect: Forgot how much I despised every single thing (nearly) about this particular Tetris, from the syrupy music and grating ambient noise to the stoppy-starty level transitions and patronizing-to-ridiculous difficulty curve.

Dark Souls Remastered: Defeated the Capra Demon again a few days ago. I really ought to give this a break for awhile, but I probably won’t- not until I end up losing it and deleting my save again, at least.

2 Likes

what the hell is that in kiryu’s glass is his drink watered down with a moon rock

1 Like

they love spherical ice cubes in japan…apparently in the 80s they were made of rare earth metals

1 Like

The Serena lighting just does things man

Got a couple ice sphere molds floating around…somewhere. But out of whiskey

I had no idea about ice spheres. what a world.

2 Likes