How do you pronounce "SNES?"

sometimes i say “supa” like the lady in that mf doom hoe cakes song + nintendo. but usually its the lazy smushed up snes (one word, not the individual letters)

8 Likes

I don’t say SNEZZ. I say SNESS.

4 Likes

The first person I ever heard pronounce it like a word (“sness” rather than “snez”) was a Scottish friend.

I think I tend to say “Super NES” and maybe occasionally “ess enn eee ess.”

1 Like

when i was a kid we called it the Super Nintendo, to differentiate from the Nintendo we already had.

as an adult i still call it the Super Nintendo most of the time. and very occasionally

the podcast is called “Snex” though

3 Likes

Super NES Chalmers

1 Like

When I’m talking about the system, it was usually Ess En Ee Ess. But with emulators, it was “sness”, like Zee Sness. Dunno why I differentiate there, but I do. Never met anyone who says “snezz” though.

4 Likes

For me, it was always “Super Nintendo”, and as an adult in my head I alternate between S-N-E-S and “Super Nintendo”.

Never pronounced it as “Sness”, that always sounded dumb.

2 Likes

I think I usually SAY “Super Nintendo,” although reading it, in my head I just say “sness.” Which strikes me as weird since I vastly prefer sounding out “en ee ess” for NES.

1 Like

As a kid it was Super Nintendo or Super N-E-S, as an adult it’s S-N-E-S. The only time I ever pronounced either of them in any other way was in the NESticle days

1 Like

During its lifetime it was Super Nintendo. As the 90s wore on Super N-E-S wove in, and I never heard anyone say the linguistic abomination of “Sness” until the era of video on the internet.

3 Likes

it’s that corrupting influence of the internet again, it is

and this language of numbered generations? where do these moon people come from?

4 Likes

the numbered generation thing is insufficient

dreamcast is 5 and three eighths generation

gameboy color is √17

8 Likes

wikipedian citogenesis

3 Likes

there was a Zelda site i hung out at for a while that referred to the games exclusively by number, so ALttP was Zelda 3, Link’s Awakening was Zelda 4, etc. Honestly it ruled, it was so weirdly elitist and exclusionary that it just made the community shrivel up and die

13 Likes

i still do that cania

4 Likes

not sure why this is so funny to me but maybe it’s because i can picture the atmosphere

ess n e s / super nintendo

2 Likes

If you include the three BS zelda’s then you could call a link to the past Zelda VI (III in the west)

7 Likes

Snakesploration Squad

3 Likes

It’s pronounced the Piss X

4 Likes

Thinking of pronouncing it “SENSE” to confuse and annoy people. I will refuse to ever admit that I am inverting the two central letters

3 Likes