How do you pronounce "SNES?"

How do you pronounce “SNES??”

I always called it the “S-N-E-S” or “Super Nintendo” growing up, and only until I grew up did I encounter a handful of weirdos who called it the “SNEZZ” but I was not ready for

6 Likes

then now and forever it is NEZZ, SNEZZ and LEZZ PAUL

9 Likes

esseneeess gang

3 Likes

super nintendo I never encountered people saying snes and nes and nezz etc til SB

10 Likes

Snessss like a snake

5 Likes

snez, like everyone actually did in real life

1 Like

Snez in my head, S N E S to people I trust, Super Nintendo to people I don’t know. I don’t know why I code switch about this.

12 Likes

I think people sounding out the abbreviations is an Internet era thing and probably has something to do with Earthbound blowing up post Smash Bros.

Honestly the abbreviations were just for branding and for magazine section headers that were trying to sound formal. It was always just “Nintendo” or “Super Nintendo” when spoken.

5 Likes

And trying to fit a Z sound in there is probably something one of you started three years ago.

2 Likes

i call it ess en ee ess. reading it out is standard! i’m not out here telling people about the piss3 version of demon’s souls having better atmosphere, or wanting to to play the guckin version of twilight princess. or telling people the nugpuc has microswitches and feels great to play on. etcetc

8 Likes

verbally i’ve always just been either “super nintendo” or “super en-ee-ess”. if i read or write snes it’s ess en ee ess in my head

7 Likes

Sness like a snake also, (and I’ve always said it this way, anything else is too many syllables for me, I’m lazy) but I’m going to start trying to change my habit to Super Ness like in that jp video because that’s the most correct pronunciation imo

6 Likes

it’s fun to say sufami

13 Likes

hamburger famicom

1 Like

Ess En Ee Ess but I think ‘Snayce’ would be fun

I can tell I’m getting old because I caught myself referring to the NES as “Original Nintendo” in conversation recently

4 Likes

Before the internet, I never heard anyone say anything other than “Super Nintendo”. I don’t recall if magazines used the SNES shorthand though.

2 Likes

Yeah while these things were active platforms absolutely nobody in America used their full names or acronyms. They were just fucking Nintendo, I never head anyone say “snezz” until years later when I was around some Brits. Is some UK magazine to blame for that? Like with “shmup.” At least it’s better than shmup, kinda.

Magazines used the shorthand but they also called the PlayStation the “PSX” and y’know I’ve never heard anyone say “PEE-ESS-EX” out loud, thank goodness.

OK maybe I’ve done it to be annoying but I don’t remember anyone else doing it.

6 Likes

iirc snezz was definitely a UK thing, i first heard about it from usenet. for me it was “super nintendo” or “nintendo” while the NES was “old nintendo” or “original nintendo”

2 Likes

called it super nintendo most often, but i also said “super N E S” sometimes if i was trying to sound fancy

2 Likes