horror or halloween movies

You could watch Dot and the Kangaroo, it is terrifying enough to give my brother nightmares

Has anyone seen The Witch yet? Really curious about that one.

I loved the Witch. I saw it at an 11AM matinee on the last day it was showing at my local theater. There was a blackout by me so I couldnā€™t work and I was like ā€œfuck this, Iā€™m going to the movies.ā€ So it was me, two elderly couples who both walked out before the movie was over, and one woman with a bunch of special needs people sitting in the front row.

Iā€™ve gone to see a few matinee horror movies over the last 2 years and for some reason there are always special needs people there. There is always a big commotion near the climax of the film. I am not complaining here, because it usually adds to the experience, and I am totally ignorant as to whatā€™s appropriate for people with special needs. Iā€™m also not sure if thatā€™s the term I should be using. But I wonder if stuff like this is, like, appropriate? For anyone? Maybe seeing some movie with ghosts and shit is better than, say, Deadpool or some Jason Statham movie or a raunchy comedy? Maybe they also go to those movies and I donā€™t know cuz I only watch horror movies and foreign films.

Anyway, the Witch is good. Last year I watched a ton of horror movies around this time, cuz itā€™s fall and thatā€™s the reason for the season. I watched every Phantasm movie, and you should watch them all, because theyā€™re all pretty insane even though the first is the only one thatā€™s really great. I watched the first 2 Nightmare on Elm Streets for the first time ā€“ one is fun, two isā€¦I think two had some gay panic which made it kinda fun but not fun enough that I felt compelled to watch three, even though Iā€™ve been assured itā€™s good shit. I watched House ā€“ not Hausu, which you should watch because itā€™s a top 10 movie of all times, but the American movie ā€“ and it was so bad that whenever I think of going on a horror bender this year it scares me straight. I watched Pieces, which was very funny and gory and Italian (I think?). I watched that movie with a chimp that kills people. I forget its name but itā€™s really bad.

And I watched the Conjuring. The Conjuring infuriated me. A friend told me ā€œItā€™s supposed to be one of the good modern horrors and it has jump scares! I want to see how you feel about it. I havenā€™t seen it.ā€ Yeah well fuck you buddy, cuz I watched it and it fucking blew. 100% a supernatural movie made by a non-believer. It is almost 2 hours long. That is way too long for a horror movie. For any movie, really. If your movie is longer than Bride of Frankenstein it is too long. (Watch the first two Karloff Frankensteins if you havenā€™t. Theyā€™re fabulous.) Now maybe the director was a slight believer. Maybe he goes to some fucking megachurch. I donā€™t know. But I 100% guarantee that dudeā€™s never been real deal scared in his life. Itā€™s just a bunch of people who watched a bunch of movies regurgitating tropes without ever really interacting with folks who have been truly fearful of oblivion, or eternal damnation, or being murdered by a loved one, or being hurt by a stranger. Itā€™s just fucking bullshit. Watch Poltergeist instead. Spielbergā€™s schmaltzy but at least he isnā€™t cynical.

The Witch is not like the Conjuring. The Witch is all about hardcore believers and it doesnā€™t treat them like idiots for believing cuz fuck, if I was in their shoes Iā€™d buy into that shit too and Iā€™d be TERRIFIED. I thought it was a very bleak movie. It left me feeling very sad. But I loved it, and I think itā€™s probably the best movie Iā€™ve seen this year. (I havenā€™t seen many movies. I doubt I missed many good ones.)

(Watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre, itā€™s top 10.)

6 Likes

Just gonna say my last post is probably a mess but itā€™s 666 words and I think every post after this should strive to hit that word count or go to hell.

4 Likes

\m/

My ladyfan just watched The Invitation and said it was weirdly satisfying; I will have to give it a view and see if I concur. It sounds very tense.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Will have to sit down at some point (maybe on my day off) and figure out which of these I want to watch (or even spread them out over a couple Halloweens!)

FYI I moved this to Cinephile Showdown so we wouldnā€™t lose this thread.

1 Like

:waynestare:

Tonight Iā€™m going to pay US dollars to see THE THING for the first time. In 35MM! I am very excited. Itā€™s a double feature with THE BLOB. But itā€™s the 80s version. I dunno if I wanna watch that. Isnā€™t a Dillon brother in it? The one that isnā€™t Matt, maybe? Are there more than two Dillon bros? Has anyone seen 80s Blob? Is it any good? Thereā€™s a pretty good chance Iā€™ve already seen it and just forgot everything about it.

Itā€™s almost October and I think I am going to watch a few horror movies every week, because thatā€™s a thing to do.

2 Likes

80ā€™s Blob is awesome.

Iā€™ve watched The Witch and Hausu so far. Both were great (and very different!)

The fact that The Conjuring got such positive reviews both from the critics and the plebs mystifies me. I canā€™t remember a single thing from that movie because it was so inoffensive and so incredibly mediocre. Iā€™ve watched tons of horror movies and this is the only one where I canā€™t recall a single scare, single character, single scene or even what the gist of the plot was, nor even the shape of the fucking house. It is that forgettable.

Btw, watch Black Christmas (1974). Carpenterā€™s Halloween has lost most of its lustre for me after I saw Black Christmas, since it predates Halloween and is much more effective and tense. I actually love Carpenter but think Halloween is one of his least interesting movies.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a movie, but the cartoon miniseries Over the Garden Wall is something Iā€™d recommend.

3 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m watching the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell mini series right now, and I feel like it could create a good autumnal spooky mood without being explicitly horror or halloweeny at all. Itā€™s chill and mysterious.

2 Likes

the book is real good but Iā€™ve heard that people that arenā€™t me had some difficulty getting into it

Cronenbergā€™s Dead Zone has some great atmosphere and is a must given the very Greg Stilson-esque motherfucker running for office this year.

Yeah if reading was a thing that I could do for fun these days with any dedication I would want to read it after this, it seems like exactly the sort of thing I would enjoy. I like the TV show a lot though.

I saw The Thing for the first time a few months ago and was seriously impressed. I think youā€™re gonna love it.

Itā€™s Carpenterā€™s best movie.

Itā€™s one of the Best Movies Of All Time

2 Likes

Watched ā€œHocus Pocusā€ last night. It was pretty fun!

Anything Halloween themed is at least vaguely exciting to me. My parents both grew up Mennonite and my dad led a ā€œnon-denominationalā€ church that I went to all they way through highschool. It was a church with essentially Mennonite ideals but I guess with an attempt to be a little more inclusive? (I sporadically went to churches in college with decreasing frequency until I completely stopped by my junior year).

My parents wouldnā€™t allow us (my sister and I) to trick-or-treat and they would pull us out of school for any Halloween activities. My teachers would usually give me a bag of candy as I left and I would hide it from my parents. When Harry Potter got popular we werenā€™t allowed to read that either. I once caught my mom reading it though and I donā€™t think I ever got a satisfying answer as to ā€œwhyā€.

I recently remembered that my mom gave me a ā€œCarmanā€ cassette tape when I was in about 4th grade and I would listen to this track on repeat:

which is pretty hilarious and sort of scary in another way in retrospect. When I finally played D&D in college it wasnā€™t as exciting as I expected it to be.

So anyway, Halloween used to make me feel weird and excluded and now it makes me feel happy and thatā€™s why I liked Hocus Pocus.

5 Likes