horror or halloween movies

I liked Thir13en ghosts actually, for being a nice schlocky movie. And also having Matthew Lillard and Tony Shalhoub

1 Like

Trick or Treat from 1986 is the perfect halloween movie. You have a lovely convergence of Tipper Gore-fueled satanic panic, the arcane power of hair metal, high school teen comedy and Shocker years before Skinner from X-Files used electric satan powers. Also great performances from Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne. Makes an exceptional double-feature with Rock n’ Roll Nightmare, which is the best possible vanity project that a Canadian metal lead singer could possibly make. The climax is for sure one of the greatest sequences in cinematic history.

1 Like

Play Sweet Home or something instead

serious reply: Paranorman is really good

Like a lot of people ITT it seems I don’t associated Halloween with actual horror, just fun times wrapped up in its trappings

I really want to say Cabin in the Woods, since it’s such a delight, but it just doesn’t have that Halloween-ey feel to it.

I hear good things about It Follows.

Night of the Creeps was fun, I thought - check it out on youtube if you’re curious.

Coraline is heaps better IMO

Was talking about paranorman the other day and ended up on a horrible tangent about how much I disapprove of “gross” kids entertainment, it was at that moment I snapped my fingers and turned into Dad

1 Like

Oh how did I miss this. I want to strongly rep the nightmare on elm street movies, in fact if you wanted some quality halloween programming you could do a lot worse than marathoning the entire series. It is opposite to Star Trek movies; the Odd Ones are much better. But believe it or not there is a kind of through line that makes it worth it to watch all of them in sequence. Freddy’s Revenge doesn’t really count but it is amazing so watch it anyway. 3 4 and 5 all tie together somewhat well. You can safely skip Freddy’s Dead and go straight to New Nightmare, Freddy’s Dead is horrible.

if you want to be a snob just go part 1 -> part 3 -> new nightmare, but you will miss out on a lot of cool weirdness.

i legitimately love the entire nightmare on elm street series, but i know most people don’t, so i just suggested the best one. i even like freddy’s dead and jason vs freddy!

i didn’t like new nightmare as a kid, but watching it again as an adult, i really liked it. the only problem i have with it now is that it represents the start of the 90s attempts at making (relatively) “respectable” horror movies, that led to boring garbage like the scream series and halloween h20

1 Like

I’m not big on New Nightmare. I’m glad Craven went back to school and all, but that movie is pretty self congratulatory about it.

It Follows was filmed outside of one my friend’s houses and I still haven’t seen it. Only Lovers Left Alive got all my home town horror love that season.

Was anyone else legitimately frightened by the Garfield Halloween special as a kid?

I never even knew there was one!

I don’t think it’s still in regular broadcast rotation, but it’s worth a rent.

New Nightmare is pretty damn smug, but I always get a huge kick out of seeing Robert Englund paint, so at least there’s that.

1 Like

The Disney film based on it is not bad, either.

Also, I don’t think these ones have been mentioned:

The Orphanage
The Witch
The Stuff
Noroi
Pulse (original version, of course)
The Eye (original version, of course)
The Haunting
The Innocents
The Skeleton Key
Jacob’s Ladder

2 Likes

It’s always worth doing the body horror triptych Alien/The Thing/The Fly

(Also my three favorite movies)

The Stuff is a good call, that movie is pretty ridiculous. The 80’s remake of The Blob is in a similar vein, but is a much better movie (if not more entertaining). It’s a fun movie with a weird mean streak.

1 Like

I was so close to mentioning the Stuff!

Chocolate Chip Charlie is an unsung hero of the silver screen.

It Follows was the most recent film I saw in theater that made me jump. And the soundtrack is amazing.

Owns.

halloween is time to watch all the evil dead flicks probably

texas chainsaw massacre is so dang good

the conjuring is p solid

Jason vs Freddy is actually super good IMO, it’s a better Freddy than it is a Jason tho

still sad they never did a sequel w/ exponentially increasing absurdity. Jason vs Freddy vs Ash vs Jaws vs Pinhead please

1 Like

It’s basically the movie 5th grade me would have made, which is why it is exactly what I wanted it to be.

I remember reading in Fangoria years ago that at one point it was going to be Freddy v. Jason, a legal drama helmed by TNG’s Rick Berman. Apparently they would have both known each other in life and young Jason would have been abused by creepy janitor Freddy.

1 Like