horror or halloween movies

my company has a new use-it-or-lose-it policy w/r/t vacation so i took some days off around halloween. i need some movie (show?) recommendations so i can get in the holiday spirit!

I mean how much are you into horror already? Is it a waste of time to recommend Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

1 Like

My plan for Halloween this year is to watch all the Phantasm movies, starting when the remaster comes out.

2 Likes

Night Train to Terror just got a really nice blu-ray release. It’s the best movie ever about God and Satan arguing about how to kill a 80s synth pop band in a train crash. To illustrate their points they tell each other abridged versions of other movies, often starring the guy who played Bull on Night Court.

2 Likes

friday the 13th part viii: jason takes manhattan
rec
prince of darkness
the collection
a nightmare on elm street 3: dream warriors
poltergeist 3
hellraiser
hellraiser 2: hellbound
re-animator
zombie flesh eaters
children of the corn iii: urban harvest

2 Likes

also this

1 Like

HAUSU

4 Likes

It Follows
The Thing
Shivers
Terrorvision
Creepshow/Creepshow 2
Bad Taste
The Fly

Hocus Pocus is actually a very fun movie. i reall enjoy it still even though it’s maybe actually bad?

Also weird to see tiny Thora Birch

Also also Sarah Jessica Parker is a weird pedophilic cannibal???

Look I’m just saying

this is a good movie

I wasn’t being ironic. Those are all legit good “Halloween” movies.

sorry i’ve spent too much time in irony land to think someone would wholeheartedly recommend a bunch of kids movies for halloween

your list is basically my watchlist for this halloween!!

1 Like

For some reason I’ve never associated actual horror movies or slasher flicks with the Halloween season. It’s always been borderline-schlocky kid-friendly stuff.

Also:

I’ve seen 'em but it’s not a waste of time. I’m considering rewatching things too!

My favorite Halloween movie is a Chinese kung-fu flick called Magic Cop, about a Taoist monk who’s ALSO a cop, battling a witch with impromptu kung-fu-fueled sand rituals. It’s basically impossible to explain and incredibly enjoyable to watch. It also goes by the name “Mr. Vampire 5.”

If you can’t find it anywhere, let me know and I can send you my digital copy somehow.

Here’s a shitty youtube version so you can get a feel for it:

Beyond that, Dagon is good, 28 Days Later is always a very enjoyable watch, The Thing is excellent, and Stranger Things would fit the season very well.

3 Likes

OH very few of them could be considered horror but Tsui Harks 80s -90s stuff feels like it could create a good vibe for the seas’ especially Zu: Warriors from Magic Mountain.

1 Like

I learnt this the hard way

Watch Monster Squad and then Monster House. Those are good Halloween movies, and pretty effective kid horror movies as well.

Tetsuo’s not a party movie if your friends are wack.

I know a lot of people are too cool for Donnie Darko in 2016, but it’s my favorite Halloween countdown movie.

William Castle’s Tingler, 13 Ghosts, or House on Haunted Hill are great if you want that goofy late 50s, early 60s vibe.

The Spanish version of Universal’s Dracula is fun if you want to feel like you’re visiting a parallel universe. It was shot on the same sets after hours with a near identical translation of the script. It’s really cool how non-Bela Lugosi-esque the Dracula is in this one, while still being in pretty much the same movie.

Rock N Roll Nightmare is my favorite goofy 80s horror movie. It has the standard vaguely young people being picked off one by one after taking their shirts off, but has a bizarro twist at the end that the Internet will instantly spoil if you do any googling whatsoever.

I usually can’t get into the Italian stuff, but I still dig Suspiria.