Homestuck is coming to an end

Act 6 resumed recently after a gigantic pause, and ends tomorrow, and the final act gets posted on the 13th.

I wasn’t there for the Homestuck discussions on old SB. I read all there was of it, and Problem Sleuth, in late september of last year, during a break in my MGS5 playthrough. Well, i’d tried once before but at the time been driven away by the ugly first panel. But not the second! I was drawn in by the mysteries and the pretend videogame logic and how it’s really its own unique thing that could only be made on the web. Like most people I think it lost its way at some point though I couldn’t tell where, just that it’s some time after the trolls. In part because at some point the game part got forgotten, though it came back later, kinda.

Anyway, it all ends in one week and I still hope it’s gonna be a quality ending.

If sawtooth isn’t already dead this will finish the bastard off

2 Likes

I do not believe this in the slightest.

1 Like

Well, the current incarnation of it all ends, anyway. Of course they’re gonna have to tie in to Hiveswap in some way, and whatever comes next, though they should still be busy with Hiveswap for quite some time given all the dubious things happening with it.

the author should try the interactive webcomic thing again after this but take suggestions from people on the street, across the world. not internet nerd people. guest story suggestions from like ai wei wei or steph curry every month

homestuck is close enough to being part of my childhood that i’ve kept following it long after it became a self-indulgent mess. i started reading mspa the month problem sleuth ended, in the sixth grade. i still love pretty much everything through act 4, and can only appreciate act 6 out of stockholm syndrome. the music and animation stay good, though, while everything else falls victim to AH’s inability to pace an ending (half of problem sleuth was spent fighting the “final boss” and it still managed it better).

oh huh, I’d kinda forgottena bout it entirely aside from the fandom being sort of omnipresent.

I liked Problem Sleuth a lot for trying really hard to put logic into nonsense, but just kind of got bored at Homestuck trying to be epic with way too many characters I didn’t care about when all I wanted was more goofy inventory management and sords

1 Like

I am the forum Homestuck fan and I will enjoy it. I’ll even wear my homestuck shirt on 4/13 that seems like a thing to do.

Homestuck is many things, but incapable of ending when it was originally designed to end is not one of them. This comic has never before approached anything that resembled a conclusion. With today’s update [S] Collide, it finaly begins to.

With pretty much everyone agreeing that there’s no safe way to have flash player installed on your machine last year, how does homestuck even function now? How will people acess it in the future?

1 Like

How long is it going to take me to go from Zero to Knowing what Homestuck is? The same investment of time as Knowing what UC Gundam is?

1 Like

YouTube/HTML5 ports, Windows XP virtual machine, dedicated HomeStuck tablet, oral tradition

Depends entirely on your reading/watching speed, how much you skip, and how much you can tolerate authorial self-indulgence. A forum I was on started linking some of the animations & I decided to just knuckle down and read from the beginning. Daunting as that may be (considering just how gigantic the final product is), this is still the best way to actually experience the comic, with the caveat that it starts slow and digressively mechanical, but it gets better.

If you start from the beginning & you feel your attention flagging, bite your lip and resolve to keep reading until the first time you get to an animation featuring the second male protagonist. If you haven’t gotten invested by that point, I doubt how worthwhile it would be to continue.

what the hell is any of this

anyone who can’t appreciate that homestuck starts with hundreds of panels of a small child futzing with an archaic adventure game ui is clearly no friend of mine >:I

e: but yeah, act 6 is what i would describe as “slow and digressive,” not the beginning

1 Like

Honestly, I was thinking more about the mechanics of the strip itself. The meta-commands from before Hussie just abandoned all pretense and stopped accepting submissions from the audience worked a lot better in Problem Sleuth; Act I has been the hardest section for me on rereading simply because of the back-and-forth as readers try to outclever Hussie only for him to frustrate those intentions. The Sburb mechanics are fine.

so wait, is there some new uber-exploit to Flash that turns SWFs into ticking timebombs

I wanted to say the last one I heard about was in october and took too long to be fixed (thus people uninstalling flash), but it turns out the most recent one was found two days ago! Flash is just full of holes.

Really? But I only just noticed that Google lets you search directly for SWF files. A high-risk e-lifestyle is no fun if I’m aware of the actual risks

I got to the point where they reset the whole universe to start over with new, weird combos of former characters and I was just like…not gonna get invested in a whole new bunch of people. Pretty done.

But I did love what I read, I loved it so much and got so invested. I used to have to work at a place starting at 5 AM, but I had to get there at 4:30 because buses, so I had basically 1.5 hours every day to read Homestuck. So that’s how I got there. I also read all of Problem Sleuth this way.

Did I stop before it got self indulgent, or did I just miss all that through the blind haze of love?

L come home :sadpig:

My stopping point for Homestuck was when one of the huge End of Act X animations wouldn’t run on my aging laptop and I sort of just thought myself as free.
Is the Kickstarted game really cancelled at this point?